Britannia

lindyloo22

We have been looking at going again on Britannia, but the only problem is last time we were on her there was a problem with soot,

Before sitting on sun loungers you had to make sure they were soot free also table tops were covered. Anybody that has been on Britannia recently can they please let me know if they had any problem. Thanks

Britannia has had ‘scrubbers’ installed to try to minimise the soot problem but it hasn’t solved the problem. Soot is only a problem in the aft section of the ship, so I would avoid balcony cabins and open decks in that area. The rest of the ship is fine. The soot only settles on the ship in certain weather conditions, but cannot be fully removed by the crew, so even if there haven’t been any fresh deposits in days you are still likely to get the black oily deposits on your clothes if you sit anywhere at the rear of the ship. Thankfully, as Britannia is so large, avoiding the rearmost 20% of her outer areas is easy to do!

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Shame that its still an issue, but at least theyv'e taken steps to reduce it.

Does it only affect rear cabins on a certain deck and above or does it manage to get all the decks?

As I stated in my original post, it very much depends on atmospherics. The problem has not been solved with the scrubbers. On warm dry days, the soot tends not to settle until we’ll beyond the ship. It might be perfectly possible for someone to go a whole cruise without experiencing a problem (e.g. Caribbean), but this does not mean that the problem has been solved. We were on F Deck aft, so very low down. The night we left Southampton there was heavy rain. We woke in the morning to a balcony that was absolutely covered in black soot spots. However hard the steward tried (and he tried very hard) a lot of those spots survived the entire 14 night cruise. During the time we were in the Med, on one day we had new soot deposits our steward told us that the opposite side of the ship had none (due to wind direction). Another day, the reverse was the case. The aft facing section of the ship is quite raked, so the balconies are exposed and soot can fall on all levels. The aft side balconies may be more protected, but I have no experience of them. We also love Britannia, but would advise anyone against an aft balcony to eliminate the risk. It’s not just the soot, we had vibration problems causing rattles as well, that you don’t get elsewhere on the ship. As I’ve said, others not having had a problem is no guarantee that you won’t, so why take the risk when 80% of the balcony cabins on Britannia are free of these issues?

Edited by Selbourne

14 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Thanks for the clarification. We're going for the very end of mid-ships / start of the aft section (if that makes sense) so I guess its a bit 50-50 in that area.

You wont have a soot issue there, but be aware that the main smoking area is outside the door leading out from the front of the Live Lounge on the Port side. In addition to smoke, you can get groups congregating there late at night causing noise. Starboard side would be better in that area, should these things bother you.