Planning tips for NCL Dawn Cruise from Dubai

Carnac767

Okay, this is planning for something two years away, but I like to do my homework.  We're veteran cruisers but venturing to Dubai will be something new for us.  We just booked the NCL Dawn, which has a 22-day sailing from Dubai, with port calls at Abu Dhabi, Aqaba, Safaga, Ashod, Haifa, and then other Med ports we've already been to.  Right now we're looking at spending time in Europe before we fly to Dubai, so we won't be totally nuclear jet lagged when we get there.  Some of the initial questions for folk with experience in the areas:  recommended hotels in Dubai, must-see in Dubai (where going to give ourselves a couple of days there), best tours in Abu Dhabi (we're in port 2 days), ditto for all the other ports.  We also overnight in Safaga.  Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations.

We spent 6 days in Dubai between Christmas and New Years Day just gone...and we didn't see it all! Definately get a HOHO bus ticket (we used Big Bus...this has 3 routes which cover most of the sights, but as we had a 5 day ticket we also used it as an ordinary bus). We got a silver NOL card too...this is for use on the metro and buses which are cheap. There are loads of taxis and they are pretty cheap and all regulated by the RTA, so they all use the same meter system. OK, thats transport.

We highly recommend the Miracle Gardens...it should still be open in March when you are there. Heres their site https://www.dubaimiraclegarden.com/

We had a creek cruise and dhow cruise from the Marina area included in our HOHO ticket, so did those. Looked round all the malls (watched the skiers in Mall of Emirates and aquarium and dancing fountains at Dubai mall). I'm going to be contentious here...I don't think its worth going up the Burj Khalifa. Its fairly pricey and we queued for 1hr 45 mins to go up, spent 20 mins up there taking photos and queued 45 mins to come down. I realise you can't control the weather etc, but it was pretty smoggy and we couldn't even see the QE2 from the 125th floor; and its only 4 1/2 miles away! I know its a bucket list thing, but I wouldn't do it again. Didin't do any of the souks, so can't comment.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Al Barsha. It was fine, but we picked it so we could watch the NYE fireworks from the roof. When we got there they said "Oh yes, come and join the party we're having...only AED600 each!" (Work it out!!), so we ended up with about 200 locals watching the Burj Al Arab fireworks through a gap in the hoarding! I think in hindsight, we'd have been better off with a hotel nearer the Dubai mall (loads to choose from).

We were surprised at how clean everywhere was...a joy to explore the city...and no sign of petty crime (like pickpocketing) except for being offered a 'new' iPhone about 4 times!

Hope this helps a bit. I'll try and answer any questions that you may have.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:50 AM, Carnac767 said:

Okay, this is planning for something two years away, but I like to do my homework.  We're veteran cruisers but venturing to Dubai will be something new for us.  We just booked the NCL Dawn, which has a 22-day sailing from Dubai, with port calls at Abu Dhabi, Aqaba, Safaga, Ashod, Haifa, and then other Med ports we've already been to.  Right now we're looking at spending time in Europe before we fly to Dubai, so we won't be totally nuclear jet lagged when we get there.  Some of the initial questions for folk with experience in the areas:  recommended hotels in Dubai, must-see in Dubai (where going to give ourselves a couple of days there), best tours in Abu Dhabi (we're in port 2 days), ditto for all the other ports.  We also overnight in Safaga.  Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations.

In Dubai, if you're looking for something cultural/historical within the general vicinity of the cruise terminal, I would definitely recommend the Al Seef Dubai Creek area. It's a new retail/hotel development along the creek 10mins by taxi from the cruise terminal that has been designed to look like an old Arabian souq. I recommend it for the shopping (you can browse local crafts, clothes, jewelery etc but without the grittiness of the Gold Souq in Karama or the relentless hawking).

Al Seef is also directly adjacent to the Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood, home to the diwan (royal court) of the Ruler of Dubai and nearby to the Dubai Museum. It's a lovely little neighbourhood of around 50 20th century Arabian homes that have been fully restored and turned into coffee museums, perfume museums and boutique hotels and coffee shops. If you want to try out some Emirati cuisine the Arabian Tea House is also in this area and its famous amongst locals for its authenticity and quality.

In terms of tourist sight-seeing, you should definitely go for an abra ride on the Dubai Creek and visit the Dubai Frame (from which you can get great shots of the Old Dubai and New Dubai in either direction on a clear day - $15 entrance). Then there's the Burj Khalifa, but instead of paying $100 to go up to the viewing platform, just go for a $5 coffee at Atmosphere, a restaurant and bar just a few levels below the viewing deck, but with floor-to-ceiling windows. 

If you want to do designer shopping, head to the Dubai Mall. It's the largest in the world by floor space and is home to the Dubai Aquarium, and of course the Dubai Fountains. If it's your thing, you could also go check out the indoor ski slope and snow park at the Mall of the Emirates ($100 entrance). 

In Abu Dhabi, the Louvre Abu Dhabi is definitely recommended, as is the Grand Mosque, the largest in the country and one of the grandest in the world (the persian carpet in the main hall is the largest continuous carpet ever made). If you enjoy the idea of a desert safari, it's better to do it in Abu Dhabi as the city is surrounded by desert sands that are more untouched than those around Dubai so the drive out of the city is shorter. Abu Dhabi is also home to the Emirates Palace, one of the most luxurious hotels in the world (if that's your thing) and also the Presidential Palace (Qasr Al Watan) which from March opened its doors to the public for tours for the first time.

I live in Dubai so let me know if there's anything else I can help you with 🙂

16 hours ago, ShaunDxb said:

In Dubai, if you're looking for something cultural/historical within the general vicinity of the cruise terminal, I would definitely recommend the Al Seef Dubai Creek area. It's a new retail/hotel development along the creek 10mins by taxi from the cruise terminal that has been designed to look like an old Arabian souq. I recommend it for the shopping (you can browse local crafts, clothes, jewelery etc but without the grittiness of the Gold Souq in Karama or the relentless hawking).

Al Seef is also directly adjacent to the Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood, home to the diwan (royal court) of the Ruler of Dubai and nearby to the Dubai Museum. It's a lovely little neighbourhood of around 50 20th century Arabian homes that have been fully restored and turned into coffee museums, perfume museums and boutique hotels and coffee shops. If you want to try out some Emirati cuisine the Arabian Tea House is also in this area and its famous amongst locals for its authenticity and quality.

In terms of tourist sight-seeing, you should definitely go for an abra ride on the Dubai Creek and visit the Dubai Frame (from which you can get great shots of the Old Dubai and New Dubai in either direction on a clear day - $15 entrance). Then there's the Burj Khalifa, but instead of paying $100 to go up to the viewing platform, just go for a $5 coffee at Atmosphere, a restaurant and bar just a few levels below the viewing deck, but with floor-to-ceiling windows. 

If you want to do designer shopping, head to the Dubai Mall. It's the largest in the world by floor space and is home to the Dubai Aquarium, and of course the Dubai Fountains. If it's your thing, you could also go check out the indoor ski slope and snow park at the Mall of the Emirates ($100 entrance). 

In Abu Dhabi, the Louvre Abu Dhabi is definitely recommended, as is the Grand Mosque, the largest in the country and one of the grandest in the world (the persian carpet in the main hall is the largest continuous carpet ever made). If you enjoy the idea of a desert safari, it's better to do it in Abu Dhabi as the city is surrounded by desert sands that are more untouched than those around Dubai so the drive out of the city is shorter. Abu Dhabi is also home to the Emirates Palace, one of the most luxurious hotels in the world (if that's your thing) and also the Presidential Palace (Qasr Al Watan) which from March opened its doors to the public for tours for the first time.

I live in Dubai so let me know if there's anything else I can help you with 🙂

Thank you so much. 

• Like 1

Sometimes planning too far ahead isn't beneficial.  Given that Dubai adds new things every year, you might be planning on 'old news'. There is an entire new part of the city being added with hotels and activities that is bound to be relevant in 2 years' time.  At the very least, get the lay of the land, check some 'must see' items that you are attached to then periodically review the new hotels and activities - perhaps every 6 months?

Check the growth vitality of some of the other money rich ports for the same reasons.