TUI River Cruises - new product

It’s been announced by TUI UK the launch of a new product TUI River Cruises starting summer 2020.

3 ships TUI Skyla, TUI Maya, TUI Isla sailing 7 and 14 nights itineraries including Danube, Main, Moselle and Rhine. Flights (non TUI) will be from across the U.K.

Small ships with maximum 155 customers across 79 cabins. There are two packages to choose from assuming the board basis.

Itineraries:

Beautiful Benelux: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Dordrecht, Veere, Ghent, Antwerp, Utrecht to Amsterdam, Amsterdam

Dutch Highlights: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Medemblik, Utrecht, Arnhem, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Amsterdam

Dutch & Deutsch Explorer: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Dusseldorf, Bonn, Koblenz, Boppard to Oberwesel, Frankfurt

Rhine Explorer: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Cologne, Koblenz to Rudesheim, Speyer, Kehl, Breisach, Basel

Rhine Chateaux & Gateaux: Frankfurt, Koblenz to Boppard, Rudsheim, Speyer, Rastatt, Kehl, Breisach, Basel

Rhine Gems: Frankfurt, Koblenz, Mainz, Mannheim, Kehl, Rastatt, Rudesheim, Frankfurt

Majestic Main & Rhine: Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg, Miltenberg, Rudesheim, Cologne, Amsterdam, Amsterdam

The Moselle Valley: Vines & Views: Frankfurt, Koblenz, Bernkastel-Kues, Trier, Piesport to Traben-Trarbach, Cochem, Boppard to Oberwesel, Frankfurt

Marvels of the Main: Frankfurt, Miltenberg, Wurzburg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Marktbreit, Wertheim, Frankfurt

Bavarian Discovery: Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Marktbreit, Wurzburg, Wertheim to Miltenberg, Frankfurt

Danube Delights: Budapest, Esztergom, Vienna, Durnstein to Melk, Passau, Vilshofen, Regensburg, Nuremberg 

European Icons: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Cologne, Koblenz to Rudesheim, Cruising along the Main, Wurzburg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Kelheim to Regensburg, Passau, Linz, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Budapest

Danube Waltz: Budapest, Bratislava, Durnstein to Melk, Linz, Vienna, Vienna, Eszergom, Budapest

Romantic Danube: Budapest, Bratislava, Krems, Passau, Linz, Vienna, Budapest, Budapest

East Danube Explorer: Budapest, Kalocsa Tomohacs, Novi Sad, Crusing the Iron Gates, Belgrade, Vukovar, Budapest, Budapest

14 minutes ago, campolady said:

Sadly doesn't seem to be a 'Cruise Only' option for those of us who don't live in the UK ☹️.

https://www.tui.co.uk/river-cruises/cruise-only#

yes there is- scroll down on the main page and the excursions section is there and Cruise Only (in white letters it doesn’t show properly against the photo) 🙂 

I think I'll wait for the reviews.The one I was looking at, Amsterdam to Basle 7 days cruise only £3200 for basic cabin.Doesn't seem that cheap compared to the established companies in this game.

1 minute ago, Pensioncruiser said:

They do look a bit expensive at the moment, don't know if I've missed something but are they AI see they have included walking tours 🙄

They are not AI but you can upgrade to AI. You do get drinks with meals though. And £120 per week for excursions.

7 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Thanks for that SP did notice the £120 offer which is good, hope they publish a brochure as I find that easier to navigate. 👍

Same here, so much love a brochure to explore with than online.

Just a quick search as the dates are now on the website with a comparison with Viking. A 14 night with Viking starts at £3,995 but on offer at £2,995, whereas TUI starts at £2,400. 

I haven't done an in-depth review yet, but at first glance, they look around the same.

What is more appealing to book with TUI is the actual entertainment in the evenings.

Interesting comparisons I had a quick look at the deluxe French balcony on Isla which I thought was expensive compared to say a JS on Discovery and I know entertainment is subjective but on the RC it doesn't look as good, I realise that with only 155 passengers you can't have the big productions, we still may try a week next year as it would be nice to check out. 

Yes, cheap compared to other river cruises, but not any cheaper than an ocean cruise that has more space, venues and entertainment, spa, pools, bars, etc. 

I looked at the top end Cabins and my Discovery 2 in an Executive Suite (515sqft) is cheaper than the river cruise suite (249sqft).

Might leave it a year till 2021 and see the reviews. Still feel there is still plenty of ocean to see before river cruise but a Christmas one could be nice.

Quote Flights (non TUI) will be from across the U.K. End quote

Hmmm. Yes and no.  Could not find a "choose airport" option and looking for Scottish airport options was taking too long as had to do a partial booking on each to find "alternative flight options".

Finally gave up and called the river cruise tel number and spoke with someone who advised that only one itinerary had Scottish airport options (supplement applies) and that is the Bavarian Discovery itinerary-on three dates. Depending on the date, these are only Glasgow OR Edinburgh, not Glasgow AND Edinburgh. Hopefully she gave me the correct info.

We only did one river cruise, a 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam and could have been interested in the Iron Gates itinerary, but it won't be with TUI.

Anyone considering a river cruise who is unfamiliar with river cruising should read all about them on the river cruise board before booking, as there are many "pros" and "cons" and river cruising is very different to ocean cruises.

They are generally not suited to anyone with a disability, in part as "rafting" is often needed. This is where 2 or more boats are moored together. On a couple of occasions we were #3 of 3. This involves walking up and down temporary walkways which connect boats to the riverbank.

The more expensive balcony cabins can appear attractive, but boats often only sail at night as most days you are ashore.

When docked alongside, balconies and doors usually have to be locked for security. Curtains often need to be closed for privacy as members of the public could be walking or cycling along the towpath just feet away. If you are "rafting", there could be cabins on the "rafted" boat which are only inches from yours. And yes, you can see everything.

High and low river levels can have a huge impact.

We really enjoyed ours, but it was not impacted by river levels. We knew we were relying on luck when we booked it, and were lucky, but we have been wary of booking any others since then.

Do read the river cruise boards so you can make an informed decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1