Baltic port stops

Ginlyn

We will be doing a Baltic cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in late August.  We’ve been checking out our stops and feel we can do some of them on our own (Skagen, Tallin, maybe Helsinki).  We have booked a two-day St. Petersburg tour with Best Guides.  I’m wondering if it would be best to book a ship or private tour for Stockholm and Copenhagen or maybe use a HOHO bus?  We do like to explore on our own but feel these places might be too big and busy for us to do that.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ginlyn said:

We will be doing a Baltic cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in late August.  We’ve been checking out our stops and feel we can do some of them on our own (Skagen, Tallin, maybe Helsinki).  We have booked a two-day St. Petersburg tour with Best Guides.  I’m wondering if it would be best to book a ship or private tour for Stockholm and Copenhagen or maybe use a HOHO bus?  We do like to explore on our own but feel these places might be too big and busy for us to do that.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nope, not too big or busy to DIY in either Stockholm or Copenhagen. For Stockholm, I would recommend the HOHO boat rather than the bus (don't miss the fabulous Vasa).

Tallinn, Helsinki and Skagen are all easily done on your own. Tallinn & Helsinki have excellent online TI portals - check them out. Also recommend Rick Steves Northern European Cruise Ports - great tips/instructions for DIY in your ports of call.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 2

The centres of Stockholm and Copenhagen aren't too big or too busy to wander, esp if you incorporate the ho-ho boats in Stockholm and mebbe (we've not used them) the ho-ho buses in Copenhagen.

I'm pretty confident your ship will berth in Stockholm itself (be up and about early for the magnificent three to four hour sail-in thro' the archipelago of islands), but it might be berthed at very convenient Stadsgarden or at Frihamnen, which requires a shortish bus or taxi ride. 

For Copenhagen........

- if you berth at Nordre Toldbod, it's just a 15 min walk to Nyhavn for a welcome beer or coffee in pleasant harbourside surroundings, then 20 mins or less to the centre

- if you berth at Langelinie there'll be ho-ho buses at the pier, not too sure about local buses. But it's well worth walking at least one way, past the Little Mermaid, the Castelet and Amelienborg Palace to Nyhavn. It's about a 30 minute walk so you'll have earned that beer / coffee, but it's all attractive and interesting waterside.

- but many ships now use Copenhagen's new cruise terminal at Oceankaj (Ocean Quay), which is 3 to 4 miles from the city centre and you'll need a transfer of some sort. 

www.visitcopenhagen.com/cruisecopenhagen/copenhagen/transportation-and-cruise-terminals

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Unless you have mobility issues, I recommend doing walking tours in both Copenhagen and Stockholm. I think you get a much better feel for the city when you see it by foot as opposed to seeing it from a bus.  

For Copenhagen, see:  http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk/

For Stockholm, see:  http://www.stockholmfreetour.com/

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions.  We will definitely check everything out and make our plan.  No mobility issues and we walk daily for exercise so I don’t foresee any problem for us in that regard.  

In Copenhagen we found the city walkable.  You can break for lunch and also a canal boat ride.  It becomes less walkable if you go to Tivoli (not that Tivoli is so far away, but it does add to the walking).

On 4/11/2019 at 2:40 PM, Ginlyn said:

If your port is in Stockholm and not Nynäshamn I think that you shall do Stockholm on your own.

If it's Nynäshamn I recommend a ship tour.

2 hours ago, cansas.piligrim said:

Why don't you  want to book these tours with Best Guides? They offer discounts for those who book Baltic tours together with a St. Petersburg itinerary.

I didn’t realize Best Guides did tours in other places.  Thanks for the info. I will check them out.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, dogs4fun said:

Tallinn, Helsinki and Skagen are all easily done on your own. Tallinn & Helsinki have excellent online TI portals - check them out. 

Can I ask what TI portals are - I have googled the term and not found anything?  We will be in Helsinki and Skagan in August so could be of interest to us.

Just realised it probably means tourist information, so will see if I can get my post deleted - bad day today 🙂

Edited by tring

Just now, tring said:

Can I ask what TI portals are - I have googled the term and not found anything?  We will be in Helsinki and Skagan in August so could be of interest to us.

TI = Tourist Information

Tallinn: https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng/visitor/plan/good-to-know/tourist-information

Helsinki: https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en

• Thanks 1

Except for Russia, we have always done the ports on our own.  One of our favorites was taking the ferry in Helsinki from Market Square to nearby Suomenlinna Island. We were there in early July and  lilac trees were in full bloom everywhere. Plus, there are all these rocky overlooks and secluded coves to explore.  Bring a picnic and join the locals enjoying this unique spot.

Edited by lynncarol

On 4/12/2019 at 3:55 AM, GradUT said:

Unless you have mobility issues, I recommend doing walking tours in both Copenhagen and Stockholm. I think you get a much better feel for the city when you see it by foot as opposed to seeing it from a bus.  

I agree that one will see more on foot then from a bus window. Getting around can be done by public transport.

We did most of the port on our own except for Stockholm, St. Petersburg and Berlin. In Tallin you can take a taxi or a bus to get to the Old Town. From there it's easy to walk the streets and explore the magical Old Town. If you get hungry, please do yourself a favor and find this place called Old Hansa. It's in the very centre of the town and you won't regret it. As for Helsinki the ferry from the Market Square to the Suomenlinna island is also easy to do on your own and it was the highlight of our day.

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, dogs4fun said:

Nope, not too big or busy to DIY in either Stockholm or Copenhagen. For Stockholm, I would recommend the HOHO boat rather than the bus (don't miss the fabulous Vasa).

Tallinn, Helsinki and Skagen are all easily done on your own. Tallinn & Helsinki have excellent online TI portals - check them out. Also recommend Rick Steves Northern European Cruise Ports - great tips/instructions for DIY in your ports of call.

About Vasa. It is 391 years since she sank today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0-ZWIsJ_Hy/?igshid=15t58i7pxrppz

On 4/11/2019 at 9:55 PM, GradUT said:

How far from the ship dock to the free walking tour of stockholm

• 10 months later...

In Stockholm we are looking to do both the Vasa Museum as well as the free tour of the Royal Armory which sounded very interesting.  Any recommendations on how to travel to both sites from the cruise port?  Im hoping for a cruise shuttle to the main part of town and doing the Armory first, then walking (says 30 min) along the water to the Vasa museum and then taking the HOHO boat back to the cruise shuttle area.  Does this sound good?

50 minutes ago, catz0026 said:

In Stockholm we are looking to do both the Vasa Museum as well as the free tour of the Royal Armory which sounded very interesting.  Any recommendations on how to travel to both sites from the cruise port?  Im hoping for a cruise shuttle to the main part of town and doing the Armory first, then walking (says 30 min) along the water to the Vasa museum and then taking the HOHO boat back to the cruise shuttle area.  Does this sound good?

Impossible to say until you know your docking location as there are several (docking location should be available on the port of Stockholm website in early 2021). The Vasa Museum is located on Djurgarden (an island across from Gamla Stan, the old town) and the Royal Armory is located on Gamla Stan. I would take the HOHO to the Vasa immediately upon arrival as it becomes very crowded as the morning progresses & then head back on over to Gamla Stan (again via HOHO boat) to the Royal Palace to visit the armory.

Edited by dogs4fun

As dogs says, best method of transport depends on where your ship will berth. Hoho-boats might work if you are at Stadsgården but otherwise not and they are doing their routes clockwise so from Vasa to Gamla Stan walking to Allmänna Gränd and use Djurgårdsfärjan from there might be just as quick or quicker then waiting for a HoHo boat at Vasa.

Edited by Desdichado62

This information from a visit several years ago ......

I'll add my voice to those saying it's best to visit the Vasa first. It gets very busy, and after about 10.30 you'll have to join a line to enter (one out, one in).

The regular ho-ho boats operate in a clockwise direction.  If you're berthed at Stadsgarden, the ho-ho boat goes via a couple of stops on Gamla Stan, Nybrokajen, etc before Vasa, which is almost the last stop before the boats complete their circuit - BUT early to mid-morning they also operate boats direct from the berth to Vasa, taking only about 10 minutes. I THINK you can buy just a one-way ticket Stadsgarden-to-Vasa without having to buy an all-day hop-on/off ticket. Enquire of the ho-ho staff at the berth.

If you're berthed at Frihamnen I feel sure there'll be a local bus which will take you most of the way.

BTW, Dogs4 mentions that Vasa is on an "island" - but it's just a few yards off-shore & connected by a bridge. It's just like a river or harbour crossing. It's about a 25 minute walk between Vasa and the Royal Armories

https://goo.gl/maps/fME9vuPrGXQ3bVi47

This info from a few years ago, things may have changed

JB :classic_smile: