Puerto Chiapas Izapa Ruins and Chocolate ship tour

Michelle1234

We took this tour through Princess. I enjoyed the agenda which was a fairly long drive to the ruins, tour of the ruins, trip to a town with a walk through a local market, church visit, very enjoyable dance show and chocolate making demonstration. Our guide was personable and loved to talk about the meaning of the chocolate bean to us. Even during the ruins tour, which he didn't seem to know anything about. Others said their guide did a great job during the ruins tour so it is luck of the draw. I sampled alot of the chocolate from about 5 or 6 different vendors. Their was a bit of a taste difference so I bought a number of different products from my  two favorite vendors. This was my top gift buying stop for folks back home because they all like chocolate and the products were fairly unique. I got roasted chocolate beans covered in sugar, nut mixes with roasted chocolate beans (think gorp), bags of flavored chocolate, Mexican vanilla etc. I loved the itinerary and the only thing that would have made it a great tour would have been some historical info on the ruins. It was also hard to see the chocolate making demo unless you were standing in front because they had the whole 40 plus person bus stand in front of one person at a long table. Maybe in the future they will hold the demonstration in stations so as to allow more people to see.

I've finally gotten around to trying the two brands of Chocolate I bought.

I prefer the Chocolate Paulette (silver bag). It is smoother.

The Choc'elena (brown paper bag) is good but the sugar is grainier. 

Did anyone buy the other brands? I sort of wish I'd bought a few more brands to see the differences. It was hard to tell when tasting them at the different stands.

However if I'd got one of each flavor of the Chocolate Paulette I would be very happy! These are not the same as gourmet chocolate, more rustic but a good souvenir.