OVERWATER BUNGALOW EXPERIENCE

Sunshine_Barbie

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

We all need this right now.  The right to the place is a little long especially when all you have is coffee in your stomach.  The right back seems short however lets say you have some adult beverages that make the time pass faster.  If it was not for this excursion, I would have this port as a ship day for sure.  

So, you were absolutely right, the 3rd and 4th person are $199 each so instead of renting just one for the extra money we decided to each get our own...thanks so much for the heads up!!  Can you tell me, did you have any problems with sand fleas?  I did hear that was a bit of a problem...I get eaten alive.  I'm so excited for this...I've always wanted to do an over the water bungalow so this will give me a little taste of it!!

Yes, you are absolutely right, we ALL need peace and serenity in our lives right now.  I'm glad to know about the ride there I will definitely have a small breakfast before I go.

We want to try to get near our friends if possible, did you have a choice as to what bungalow you were given.  We'll request it at the shore ex desk on ship when we get  there for sure...If you have any pictures to post I'd love to see them...if not, no worries, I just appreciate all the info you've given thus far!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Glamourgal said:

So, you were absolutely right, the 3rd and 4th person are $199 each so instead of renting just one for the extra money we decided to each get our own...thanks so much for the heads up!!  Can you tell me, did you have any problems with sand fleas?  I did hear that was a bit of a problem...I get eaten alive.  I'm so excited for this...I've always wanted to do an over the water bungalow so this will give me a little taste of it!!

Yes, you are absolutely right, we ALL need peace and serenity in our lives right now.  I'm glad to know about the ride there I will definitely have a small breakfast before I go.

We want to try to get near our friends if possible, did you have a choice as to what bungalow you were given.  We'll request it at the shore ex desk on ship when we get  there for sure...If you have any pictures to post I'd love to see them...if not, no worries, I just appreciate all the info you've given thus far!!

Sand Fleas:  I will be honest with you, we got off the ship; went on the small boat to the dock; got on the bus to the resort; walked through the sand to the bungalow and never went on the beach again until we left.  So no sand fleas.  When we went on the NCL private island, we had a Beach Villa (Book this early also) and no sand flea's. 

Placement of the Bungalow: Yes, go to the excursion desk and should be no issue.  Also, like a seat on an flight, just ask the folks next to you if they would swap. 

Expectations: The Bungalow are close to each other yet still provide privacy. Not like the commercials of Figi Islands. The edge of the wood that is not covered from the sun can get really hot and this is were the dinning/eating area is located. The food is just OK, especially if you are staying in the Haven on the ship where the food is spectacular.  The Butler/Bar tenders are always great.  You need something, just ask.  No need to leave at all so you can enjoy the area for the hours you are there. The bar is right behind the bungalows so it does not take long to get a drink. 

Pictures:  I have none on purpose.  I did not take my phone.  My goal on a cruise ship is to put my phone in the safe and take it out the day we leave.  

The Beach: Is right behind the bungalow's.  Skip it. Again, if you want beach, what for the private island. That is the nicest private island I have ever been on with a cruise line.  The Beach Villa is also very expensive yet not all inclusive which is fine.  On that situation, you can have as many as 8 folks join and share the costs. Another great option. 

Other thoughts.  I am 63 and my wife is 60.  We loved the water slides on the ship.  Loved them.  Both shows were fantastic and I don't usually like on-board shows.  If you can afford or upgrade to the Haven area it is a deal changer.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the detailed description of the "shore excursion" - we are anxiously looking forward to FINALLY being able to cruise (hopefully, she says) on the Getaway this December.(already had 3 cruises cancelled this year !)

Can  you clarify one thing ? - How much actual walking is required ? Do you have to walk very far across the sand ?

I am 73, my husband is 74 - love the idea of sitting in the bungalow by ourselves and eating and drinking - we are not all that fast on our feet anymore.....don't want to have to wear ourselves out just getting to the bungalow !!

I do see that the ship has rated this "excursion" as EASY (1)....

Thank You !!  Also - agree with your comment on the food in the Haven Restaurant - yup - best there is !! 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Thank you so much for the detailed description of the "shore excursion" - we are anxiously looking forward to FINALLY being able to cruise (hopefully, she says) on the Getaway this December.(already had 3 cruises cancelled this year !)

Can  you clarify one thing ? - How much actual walking is required ? Do you have to walk very far across the sand ?

I am 73, my husband is 74 - love the idea of sitting in the bungalow by ourselves and eating and drinking - we are not all that fast on our feet anymore.....don't want to have to wear ourselves out just getting to the bungalow !!

I do see that the ship has rated this "excursion" as EASY (1)....

Thank You !!  Also - agree with your comment on the food in the Haven Restaurant - yup - best there is !! 

Don't get your heart set on this. Covid has just started ramping up on Roatan so may not be any cruise ships this year

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Sthrngary said:

Sand Fleas:  I will be honest with you, we got off the ship; went on the small boat to the dock; got on the bus to the resort; walked through the sand to the bungalow and never went on the beach again until we left.  So no sand fleas.  When we went on the NCL private island, we had a Beach Villa (Book this early also) and no sand flea's. 

Placement of the Bungalow: Yes, go to the excursion desk and should be no issue.  Also, like a seat on an flight, just ask the folks next to you if they would swap. 

Expectations: The Bungalow are close to each other yet still provide privacy. Not like the commercials of Figi Islands. The edge of the wood that is not covered from the sun can get really hot and this is were the dinning/eating area is located. The food is just OK, especially if you are staying in the Haven on the ship where the food is spectacular.  The Butler/Bar tenders are always great.  You need something, just ask.  No need to leave at all so you can enjoy the area for the hours you are there. The bar is right behind the bungalows so it does not take long to get a drink. 

Pictures:  I have none on purpose.  I did not take my phone.  My goal on a cruise ship is to put my phone in the safe and take it out the day we leave.  

The Beach: Is right behind the bungalow's.  Skip it. Again, if you want beach, what for the private island. That is the nicest private island I have ever been on with a cruise line.  The Beach Villa is also very expensive yet not all inclusive which is fine.  On that situation, you can have as many as 8 folks join and share the costs. Another great option. 

Other thoughts.  I am 63 and my wife is 60.  We loved the water slides on the ship.  Loved them.  Both shows were fantastic and I don't usually like on-board shows.  If you can afford or upgrade to the Haven area it is a deal changer.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

thank you so much for the great info. I have just one question. Was access to and from the Bungalow easy to maneuver via the ladder? I have a bad knee and depending on the angle of the ladder, it can be pretty painful. Thank you!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maryisme said:

thank you so much for the great info. I have just one question. Was access to and from the Bungalow easy to maneuver via the ladder? I have a bad knee and depending on the angle of the ladder, it can be pretty painful. Thank you!

It was not a problem. My wife has bad knees as well. You just take your time, one step at a time. You can ask me any other question you’d like. Cruise well.It was not a problem. My wife has bad knees as well. You just take your time, one step at a time. You can ask me any other question you’d like. Cruise well.

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Sthrngary said:

Enjoy your cruise. 

So I came across this older review while researching the turquoise bay bungalows and see you tried it as well as the Harvest Caye…not sure if you will see this but we’re booked on the Dec 2 which stops Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya and Cozumel. It’s our first time in the Haven plus having our own jacuzzi, I was thinking of skipping one day ashore and chilling on our own.  Although maybe it’s hot enough that we’d rather hit the bungalow and get in the water….would you do both Roatan or Harvest Caye, or skip one?  What have you done in Cozumel or Casta Maya? I’m a huge fan of your Haven advice thread, so would love to know what you think!

15 hours ago, renji said:

It’s our first time in the Haven plus having our own jacuzzi,

I assume you will be in a Haven Spa Suite.  That is a lovely suite that my wife and I have stayed in.  It also was our first Haven Suite.  Please feel free to read my op-ed on "The Secrets of the Haven VIP Luxury Experience".  I updated it recently hear on CruiseCritic. 

Although maybe it’s hot enough that we’d rather hit the bungalow and get in the water….would you do both Roatan or Harvest Caye, or skip one?

Two separate and unique experiences. Both excursions have increased their prices.  Roatan with the Over the Water Bungalow was nice but I would skip it.  Here is why.  First the ride to the resort is horrible. You pay all this money and 90 is cut from your day. Second is our time there, which was fabulous, had as much to do with the other folks joining us in the water and the many Tequila shots we all had, as to the bungalow itself.  Everything is all inclusive and that is a benefit. 

The Harvest Caye Beach Villa is great.  The best approach is to meet fellow cruisers and share the expense.  Very nice, Very private and since food and drink is not provided, can become very expensive.  As long as your budget can stand it, this is the best choice especially for a group.

What have you done in Cozumel or Casta Maya? I’m a huge fan of your Haven advice thread, so would love to know what you think!

Cozumel we just go for a walk.  My favorite excursion was on a resort that had a beach cabana but they don't do that anymore.  It is the cleanest and safest port in my opinion. If the Tequila Tasting is offered, it is great.

Costa Maya we did the massage/health excursion.  It is on the port and walking distance from the ship.  I thought this was very nice.  

I hope I helped you.  

Cruise well.

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

First the ride to the resort is horrible. You pay all this money and 90 is cut from your day. Second is our time there, which was fabulous, had as much to do with the other folks joining us in the water and the many Tequila shots we all had, as to the bungalow itself.  Everything is all inclusive and that is a benefit. 

Was NCL still using tenders in Roatan when you were there? If do that should no longer be the case since the pier extension. I don’t recall the ride to Turquoise Bay being bad in itself. 

20 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Cozumel we just go for a walk.  My favorite excursion was on a resort that had a beach cabana but they don't do that anymore.  It is the cleanest and safest port in my opinion. If the Tequila Tasting is offered, it is great.

Do you mean the particular resort isn’t offered through the ship anymore, or was this an independent tour? I am not aware of any cabanas on Cozumel closing - do you remember which resort?

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Was NCL still using tenders in Roatan when you were there? If do that should no longer be the case since the pier extension. I don’t recall the ride to Turquoise Bay being bad in itself. 

I have done it both way.  The first time, yes there was a tender and it was a complete mess.  The second time, just the bus.  Allow me to elaborate.  Main stream cruise brands like NCL have far less time at ports then other brands.  So you pay, $549.00 for two people for this excursion and 90 minutes is lost upfront making it less then a 6 hour day.  You make your own mind up if it is worth it. The first time we made it work. 

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Do you mean the particular resort isn’t offered through the ship anymore, or was this an independent tour? I am not aware of any cabanas on Cozumel closing - do you remember which resort?

I don't remember the resort but the small Cabana's were overlooking the water and it was very private and lovely.  There were steps down to the the water from the beach.  It was offered by NCL.  

I hoped I answered your questions.

Cruise well.

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I have done it both way.  The first time, yes there was a tender and it was a complete mess.  The second time, just the bus.  Allow me to elaborate.  Main stream cruise brands like NCL have far less time at ports then other brands.  So you pay, $549.00 for two people for this excursion and 90 minutes is lost upfront making it less then a 6 hour day.  You make your own mind up if it is worth it. The first time we made it work. 

I don't remember the resort but the small Cabana's were overlooking the water and it was very private and lovely.  There were steps down to the the water from the beach.  It was offered by NCL.  

I hoped I answered your questions.

Cruise well.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t realize you had been to Turquoise twice. I agree that is a ridiculous price for the cabana. We have only visited Turquoise independently many years ago, before the cabanas were built. We enjoy quiet beach days but on a budget!

In Cozumel it sounds like you may mean Cabana Beach, attached to Chankanaab? If so this is still available independently.

17 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

In Cozumel it sounds like you may mean Cabana Beach, attached to Chankanaab? If so this is still available independently.

That is exactly what it was. Cabana Beach.  I am personally not a fan of Independently done excursions. I always worry they won't get me to the ship on time and it makes the day not as relaxing.  

My wife and I are going on the Breakaway, out of New Orleans this December 4th.  We are trying to get friends and family to join.  If we get enough, we will jointly book the Beach Cabana on the Private Island. 

Glad I can help.

Cruise well.