Just asked by Royal to downgrade

We were just asked by Royal to downgrade from our aft GS on Brilliance to a JS. The reason that was given was that they are in need of GS on this sailing. First time this has ever happened to us. We booked this cruise specifically for this cabin, so we declined the downgrade 🙄🙄

Could be someone on a B2B who didn’t want to move , happens or oversold GS GTYs , happens . 

Didn’t they offer you a sweetener ? OBC ? .

Looks like one of our cruises is full but we are not likely to get a phone call as we have an inside cabin , 😆.

Edited by heatherb1958

8 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Is there anything useful in this thread of just 7 pages of opinions? 🤒

If Royal calls you to say they want your room, it's useful to know what other people were able to do when Royal called them.

• Like 6

@KteacherI absolutely agree with you declining to move. The afts on Brilliance are very nice. Just out of curiosity and to better prepare other cruisers in the future, what did they offer you for a downgrade from an aft GS to a lesser cabin? It should have been a pretty significant offer. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, Retired LEO said:

No one's ever notified me that they wanted my cabin. I guess insides aren't in high demand. :classic_biggrin:

I’m sailing in June and they don’t seem to want my inside.. LOL

Congrats on being retired! 25 years in so far and not ready to make that move!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kteacher said:

The offer that was made to us wasn’t sweet enough to give up the suite we booked quite a while ago. We sail on Monday.

The minimum I’d even consider would be a refund of at least the price differential between GS & JS, plus still getting GS perks. And I doubt they would offer that. 

Edited by TravelerThom
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Why can't the person who wanted the GS take a JS?   

Yes....I don't ever understand why RCI thinks someone that has been booked so far in advance and carefully chosen their cabin category and location would want to downgrade just for a couple of perks (or at times nothing). If you're late to the party you get what's leftover !

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes....I don't ever understand why RCI thinks someone that has been booked so far in advance and carefully chosen their cabin category and location would want to downgrade just for a couple of perks (or at times nothing). If you're late to the party you get what's leftover !

I'd be willing to hear the offer

5 hours ago, Kteacher said:

We were just asked by Royal to downgrade from our aft GS on Brilliance to a JS. The reason that was given was that they are in need of GS on this sailing. First time this has ever happened to us. We booked this cruise specifically for this cabin, so we declined the downgrade 🙄🙄

5 hours ago, Kteacher said:

The offer that was made to us wasn’t sweet enough to give up the suite we booked quite a while ago. We sail on Monday.

Not sure why you post this if you weren't going to shared what they offered as we learn zilch from you just saying it wasn't sweet enough - we all have different degrees of 'taste'.

• Like 5

Apologies for not being on CC every moment of the day to read every post/thread.  The offer was 100 obc for each of us (2), and half off our cruise fare. We’ve been cruising for a very long time, and this was the first time we’ve ever received anything like this from Royal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So does this mean I can call royal and tell them I want a specific room and when they say it’s already booked, I can throw a tantrum until they convince the occupants to change rooms? I don’t understand this at all. I didn’t think royal cares enough about the average cruiser. Why don’t they just tell the other person too bad it’s already booked? What’s in it for royal?

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So does this mean I can call royal and tell them I want a specific room and when they say it’s already booked, I can throw a tantrum until they convince the occupants to change rooms? I don’t understand this at all. I didn’t think royal cares enough about the average cruiser. Why don’t they just tell the other person too bad it’s already booked? What’s in it for royal?

We really don't know the circumstances. Maybe they overbooked that cabin? I'd willing to listen to an offer. TravlerThom's suggestion might get me to downgrade. Give me the gold card and a refund of the difference and I might bite. The OP's offer wasn't bad either. It just wasn't enough for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kteacher said:

Apologies for not being on CC every moment of the day to read every post/thread.  The offer was 100 obc for each of us (2), and half off our cruise fare. We’ve been cruising for a very long time, and this was the first time we’ve ever received anything like this from Royal.

You made a good call.  That is definitely not worth being downgraded to a JS.

• Like 1