Declining Complimentary Upgrade

wesport

I just booked the 14 day 5/5/20 on the Quest. As it is one year out, I booked the V1 closest the middle of the ship to get the lowest price.  On my invoice, is states complimentary upgrade declined, which is fine. As I look around the ship, there are higher V categories with odd configurations that one might be put in. Being in the Med, Seabourn cruises are pretty full. Any thoughts. 

If you booked the cabin you want and declined upgrades, then you'll get what you paid for. In other words, if you're happy with your original selection, your work is done (unless Seabourn offers you an upsell or cabin change - which you can accept or decline).

On the other hand, if your booking shows you willing to accept an upgrade, your fate is out of your hands. You can't refuse it (unless the circumstances are extraordinary) and may not even know about it until you board.  Like booking a "Guarantee/OB" suite, it's a chance you take to get a shot at a higher category cabin without paying the differential (even if the location and/or configuration may not seem better to you).

Edited by Ka Honu

One does need to know that accepting or declining upgrades exists.  One time our TA did not inform us, and I am sure thought we would think she had pulled strings to get us the upgrade.  We did not want it, as it was in a possibly noisy position on the ship, BUT when we asked for our original suite, the answer was no, someone else would be there!  So I would hope that TAs would normally let you know about this option, if you were not already of it.  Obviously on a guarantee you have to take what you are given- and you have paid a bit less!

Interesting.  We were moved last fall on Quest, from a V1 suite on 5 to a similar balcony suite a couple of decks up (6 or 7?)  We in no way knew about this before we boarded, and I was somewhat disconcerted that they would do that without telling us. Even the check-in personnel were a bit perplexed.  No evidence of anything related to an upgrade, accepted or declined, on my invoice.

Do they do this very often?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Interesting.  We were moved last fall on Quest, from the V1 suite on 5 to a similar balcony suite a couple of decks up (probably 7 but perhaps 6.)  We in no way knew about this before we boarded, and I was somewhat disconcerted that they would do that without telling us. Even the check-in personnel were a bit perplexed.  No evidence of anything related to an upgrade, accepted or declined, on my invoice.

Do they do this very often?

During the reservation process, there is a button that gets clicked whether you want a complimentary upgrade or not. I noticed on the Quest, some higher balconies are smaller in square footage, and some have odd shaped balconies. Chances are you won't get those, but you never know. I figure I am on the side of the ship I want. If this particular cruise gets reduced, I can try and get a higher floor prior to final payment on the starboard side. I know HAL and Seabourn do this. 

2 minutes ago, wesport said:

During the reservation process, there is a button that gets clicked whether you want a complimentary upgrade or not. I noticed on the Quest, some higher balconies are smaller in square footage, and some have odd shaped balconies. Chances are you won't get those, but you never know. I figure I am on the side of the ship I want. If this particular cruise gets reduced, I can try and get a higher floor prior to final payment on the starboard side. I know HAL and Seabourn do this. 

You mean an option that you click while booking online?  I booked with a TA, and as I said, no sign of this option anywhere on my invoice.  Our cabin was very nice, and nicely situated, and now I remember, definitely on deck 7, so easy access to Seabourn Square.

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You mean an option that you click while booking online?  I booked with a TA, and as I said, no sign of this option anywhere on my invoice.  Our cabin was very nice, and nicely situated, and now I remember, definitely on deck 7, so easy access to Seabourn Square.

I believe it's done by the TA or the individual on the seabourn site, whoever is booking. 

1 hour ago, wesport said:

I believe it's done by the TA or the individual on the seabourn site, whoever is booking. 

Hmm.  I can't believe my TA would have done that without telling me, but perhaps she did.  I still kind of find it irksome that I had to wait until boarding to find this out.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hmm.  I can't believe my TA would have done that without telling me, but perhaps she did.  I still kind of find it irksome that I had to wait until boarding to find this out.

It may be worth asking her to check this for sure. Lots of TAs do appear to do this, have read many posts about it on this board over the past few years.  

As I understand it, whoever makes the booking with Seabourn makes the choice on accepting upgrades. If you haven't ever seen the option, your TA probably has.

We did a little research in February when friends of ours got a "surprise" upgrade from a verandah to a penthouse on boarding Ovation. Apparently the actual upgrades come out of Seattle based on some combination of your stated preferences and some mysterious secret corporate criteria (possibly randomly generated by computer - no one's talking). Shipboard personnel claim to have nothing to do with the process and are often as surprised as the passengers when the upgrade appears on embarkation day.

That's all I know.

Edited by Ka Honu
  • Like 1

Our TA has always asked us if we were amenable to a complimentary upgrade and has been careful to tell us that once given an upgrade by SB, there is no declining it. 

.  Up to now, the answer has always been no.  But, this time, based on posts I have seen on Cruise Critics, we opted for a guaranteed OB---so who knows where we will end up.  We have decided that we are happy with anything that is assigned.  

Edited by SLSD

Wow, if I ever do another Seabourn I'll remember this!  I always have been amenable to upgrades in the past, but not sure how I feel about obligatory ones.  Let alone secret ones (i.e., not being told in advance.)

(My husband just reminded me that we did receive an upgrade offer two weeks prior to sailing.  We either declined it or ignored it, not sure which.  But got it anyways I guess.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Hi Wesport,

every once in while you have to take a risk!

The Veranda cabins of Odyssee, Sojourn and Quest on deck 5, 6, 7 and 8 are all practically the same size with the exception  of a few. See deckplans. On Legend and Ovation there are a few slightly smaller cabins up front.

The price differences depend on the location and deck. But I don't think it  makes a lot of difference.

We  cruised with Seabourn the first time in 2011 on deck 6, a very good location for a great sun deck up front . We loved it!

In 2012 we booked our second cruise (deck 6) without stating if we would accept an upgrade.

Soon we got a confirmation that we had been upgrated to a Penthouse Suite! What a Wonderful surprise.

The day  before boarding we were informed that our cabin had been changed again, we felt quite disapointed.

When we checked in it turned out that we had been changed to… (believe it or not) the Wintergarden Suite!!

Look it up on the deck plan, then you will know what I am talking about.

Needless to tell you more details.  What an experience! 

Since then  we were cruising with Seabourn 12 times, including the greatest experience: Antarctica on Quest on her

inaugural Antarctica cruise.

Although we were hooked on Seabourn from the beginning,  this upgrade payed off for Seabourn obviously  too.

I wish you a great cruise in every respect, be it on a upgrade cabin or not!!!

3 hours ago, kilotango said:

Hi Wesport,

every once in while you have to take a risk!

The Veranda cabins of Odyssee, Sojourn and Quest on deck 5, 6, 7 and 8 are all practically the same size with the exception  of a few. See deckplans. On Legend and Ovation there are a few slightly smaller cabins up front.

The price differences depend on the location and deck. But I don't think it  makes a lot of difference.

We  cruised with Seabourn the first time in 2011 on deck 6, a very good location for a great sun deck up front . We loved it!

In 2012 we booked our second cruise (deck 6) without stating if we would accept an upgrade.

Soon we got a confirmation that we had been upgrated to a Penthouse Suite! What a Wonderful surprise.

The day  before boarding we were informed that our cabin had been changed again, we felt quite disapointed.

When we checked in it turned out that we had been changed to… (believe it or not) the Wintergarden Suite!!

Look it up on the deck plan, then you will know what I am talking about.

Needless to tell you more details.  What an experience! 

Since then  we were cruising with Seabourn 12 times, including the greatest experience: Antarctica on Quest on her

inaugural Antarctica cruise.

Although we were hooked on Seabourn from the beginning,  this upgrade payed off for Seabourn obviously  too.

I wish you a great cruise in every respect, be it on a upgrade cabin or not!!!

I have a V4 for my Cuba cruise on 11/28.  Just checked with my travel agent, and changed it to accept a comp upgrade.  No chance of getting the funky balcony attached the the GR winter garden suite, as those are v4.   All v 5 and 6 are similar. Who knows. I was told you don't have a choice if they move you. 

if you have booked and paid for a particular suite that you favour then tell your TA to remove you from the upgrade option otherwise you could be high up and at the front of the ship when you really wanted that low down centrally located suite.

• Like 1

I just came off of a 35 day cruise on ovation where I was given and declined a complimentary upgrade. I knew nothing about a TA check off and didn't find out about the upgrade until we boarded. The upgrade was from a V3 to a V5 with both being on the same deck except the V3 was up front & the V5 mid ships. I got my original room back only because the couple that it was given to agreed to swap rooms. Lesson learned ; have box checked off no upgrades, or you really won't have a choice.  Fortunately it all worked out,but no guarantee that it always will

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qld13 said:

Hi

Received email today from TA with attachment from Seabourn, prices are a bit much on top of fare already paid so we will respectfully decline.

image.png.0a039d12799e996c45d8999e50388d59.png

Can I ask what length of cruise the offer was for?

7 hours ago, Qld13 said:

Hi

Received email today from TA with attachment from Seabourn, prices are a bit much on top of fare already paid so we will respectfully decline.

image.png.0a039d12799e996c45d8999e50388d59.png

Initially I misread the prices and I thought that $349 for an upgrade to a Penthouse sounded a reasonable deal.

It wasn’t until I went back and expanded the print that I realized it was $3,499 pp !🤔🙄😳

Qld13, looks like we'll be joining you on the Odyssey.  I posted on another thread about all the "apparently" empty suites, but someone pointed out, many folks just go with the guarantee suite option.  If Seabourn is trying to upsell folks, maybe the suites are "really" empty.

T^2, don't count on that. Certainly on the larger ships there are not so many penthouse suites and often demand is quite high, usually if there are any penthouses and above available they disappear at paid upgrade time. We usually get a penthouse or above and they are often in high demand.