Move up Program makes it better or worse?

I haven't cruised Celebrity or any other line in two years because of health and family issues. But always loved Celebrity.

Signed  on here to hear about the Move up program. Never knew.

Got a move up email and bid . I got nervous. LOL

Now I'm thinking maybe I don't need this stress. Bid more than I thought it was worth.

9 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

I haven't cruised Celebrity or any other line in two years because of health and family issues. But always loved Celebrity.

Signed  on here to hear about the Move up program. Never knew.

Got a move up email and bid . I got nervous. LOL

Now I'm thinking maybe I don't need this stress. Bid more than I thought it was worth.

You can always go in and change or delete your bid.

• Thanks 1

I guess you need before bidding to be really sure you would be happy with what you consider to be the worst room in the category you are making a bid on....For example a better room but in a poor location under a bar or the buffet that could have noise issues.

We have had cruises where Port or Starboard made a difference too so that could influence your bid.

At the end of the day OP, I think you are totally right to reflect on ‘what is it worth’...

Hope you lower your bid and then get a nice surprise!

I do miss stories about the upgrade fairy....

• Like 2

Last year on our Panama Canal cruise in April a RS came available at a much lower price than original and since we got a large credit because of a cancellation on a cruise .We used it towards the room but we knew which room we were getting !  I don’t think I’d be comfortable just being assigned a room I’ve always liked to take the time to pick out the room and location that I like some people might not be as picky . My first SS was underneath the ocean view café and had to listen to  chairs  scraping all day and evening !! 

• Like 1

Doesn't need to be any more nerve racking than buying a lottery ticket.   For me I check the pricing trend of the room I wish to bid on and only bid an amount that I would be happy with (about 1/2 the difference of the cabin I have and the room I'm bidding on).    I did this recently and won an upgrade from SS to Royal Suite for $550 pp.   I would have been happy with the room I originally had booked and very pleased with the win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Doesn't need to be any more nerve racking than buying a lottery ticket.   For me I check the pricing trend of the room I wish to bid on and only bid an amount that I would be happy with (about 1/2 the difference of the cabin I have and the room I'm bidding on).    I did this recently and won an upgrade from SS to Royal Suite for $550 pp.   I would have been happy with the room I originally had booked and very pleased with the win.

As Chemmo posted on another thread, it’s a totally different scenario when bidding on the top suites - you’re not exactly going to get one assigned in a poor location like you possibly could if you bid on a balcony from an OV.

53 minutes ago, cheshire cat said:

We received an email and decided to bid on the 4 categories they gave us.  We received a concierge aft cabin on the Summit for the minimum bid.  We were going from an oceanview so we are very happy with the result.

That's great!  I'm hoping to do same on my upcoming Summit sailing as the price differential between the oceanview and a balcony cabin was just nuts.  I'll bid on the moveup and see if we can get one at a better price, if not, we got a really nice oceanview stateroom that we're happy with regardless.

I'm the original poster. I got an email 51 days before sailing. I was in a Sky suite and bid high on a Royal. Well the prices tanked and they did a 3rd and 4th half off . If I had those rates I would have booked the Royal and taking two other people with me.

I will love my Summit cruise with the man of my (snoring) dreams.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, cheshire cat said:

We received an email and decided to bid on the 4 categories they gave us.  We received a concierge aft cabin on the Summit for the minimum bid.  We were going from an oceanview so we are very happy with the result.

Wow -- you were lucky that a C-1 aft was even available. Those book-up quickly (and tend to stay booked). Great Score (on one of my favorite Millie-Class cabins)! 😎

On 4/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, cheshire cat said:

Is this your first X cruise since 2007?

On 4/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Jim_Iain said:

On 4/13/2019 at 3:26 AM, villauk said:

As Chemmo posted on another thread, it’s a totally different scenario when bidding on the top suites - you’re not exactly going to get one assigned in a poor location like you possibly could if you bid on a balcony from an OV.

Agreed, villauk; for most folks, it's nothing "like buying a lottery ticket."  If you win the lottery, whatever the amount, it's a win.  But in many cabin categories, if your bid is accepted, you can wind up with a cabin in a noisy or other undesirable location.  The bid is very much like booking a guarantee cabin; you'd better be prepared to sail in the worst cabin in the category in which you bid.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cheshire cat said:

in reply to the question about being our first cruise on X since 2007 the answer is yes so we were very pleased to win our bid.

Thanks for answering. There were another couple of new cruisers who had also won their bid and I wondered if other criteria was being taken into consideration in the final decision making, especially if many pax all had the same bids? How do they decide who wins and who loses? It can’t be on initial costing as some have been accepted from guarantee rates.

Well done and have a great cruise.

2 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks for answering. There were another couple of new cruisers who had also won their bid and I wondered if other criteria was being taken into consideration in the final decision making, especially if many pax all had the same bids? How do they decide who wins and who loses? It can’t be on initial costing as some have been accepted from guarantee rates.

I thought I read very early on that in the case of tie bids that Captains Club level was one of the things used to break the tie.  (Not sure if higher levels would help or hinder the results🙂).  That is not in the current terms and conditions for MoveUp.

I was wondering about initial costing and how that worked with the bid ranges.  My next cruise is my Zenith "complimentary cruise" which my cruise fare was $0 ( Just paying taxes/fees, tips etc).  I received MoveUp offers which I'm sure are the same as others were offered for the same categories (but I haven't compared).  The amounts were more reasonable than I would have thought if they factored the original fare in.

I'm sure we will never know exactly how it works.

Since a private company runs the program, I wonder if they even have any information about one's status or other things...but after reading that one person won, except they bid more than what they thought, that might be the downside to just keeping the cabin you have.  Just be sure to check for an email, so you can confirm that amount from Celebrity.  Furthermore, there are quite a few getting them on M-class, as far as posting on CC goes.  There will always be new ways for cruise lines to make money with new games; it is a choice to play or not...

5 hours ago, villauk said:

I am not sure anyone would know for certain.  If I was running the program it would be based on the bid and any other bids for the potential vacated cabin, while maximizing  the total revenue.  I am not sure what you paid for your current cabin has any bearing on bid acceptance.