Traveling with Platinum member

jayally1968

I am accompanying my Mother on the QM2 to NYC May 17th. She is a platimum member and this will be my 2nd cruise. Since I am her daughter and we are on the same booking am I allowed to attend the parties and use the priorty lounge? It would be weird to leave her at the door, she is getting older and has been chronically ill and needs a companion when she travels. Her friend canceled and she lured me onboard with all of her internet minutes so I could keep in touch with work and all I had to do was buy a one way ticket from Los Angeles.  I already had a trip planned May 19th to NYC and had to change flights and all kinds of things just to go with her so it wasn't a decision easily made. My daughter is graduating from college May 26 so it is working out (thankfully!) that I will be arriving in NYC on the 24th and then driving straight to Vermont. 

Edited by jayally1968
correcting duplication

Yes, you will be allowed to attend any parties that your mother receives an invitation for.

This is the same for anyone who is travelling with a 'Travel Companion' and sharing the same stateroom, however, there are always those who will buck the system and invite along any friends or one or two other guests who they have just happened to have met during the voyage and who are not sharing the same stateroom or on the same booking. 

No wonder some posters on this board are complaining that these CWC parties are now getting out of hand.   

18 hours ago, jayally1968 said:

I am accompanying my Mother on the QM2 to NYC May 17th. She is a platimum member and this will be my 2nd cruise. Since I am her daughter and we are on the same booking am I allowed to attend the parties and use the priorty lounge? It would be weird to leave her at the door, she is getting older and has been chronically ill and needs a companion when she travels. Her friend canceled and she lured me onboard with all of her internet minutes so I could keep in touch with work and all I had to do was buy a one way ticket from Los Angeles.  I already had a trip planned May 19th to NYC and had to change flights and all kinds of things just to go with her so it wasn't a decision easily made. My daughter is graduating from college May 26 so it is working out (thankfully!) that I will be arriving in NYC on the 24th and then driving straight to Vermont. 

Have a wonderful voyage with your mother.  I made many with mine and do miss her since she has been gone.  Enjoy your time with her and congrats on your daughters graduation.  Vermont is a beautiful state and I'm sure she enjoyed going to college there.😃

3 hours ago, myjillian said:

Have a wonderful voyage with your mother.  I made many with mine and do miss her since she has been gone.  Enjoy your time with her and congrats on your daughters graduation.  Vermont is a beautiful state and I'm sure she enjoyed going to college there.😃

Thank you,  I was thinking that too since she has been getting sick more often and will be 74 this month and there may not be many more trips. This was a very last minute trip  to coordindate with my work and the added stress of canceling and rebooking so many things I already had in place from months ago.  My daughter is so done with Vermont winters and glad to be heading home to Southern California with a  dual degree in Art and Phsycology from Middlebury College! 

My Mom added me to the booking today for $470, she thought she had paid for a double but it was a single supplement and its an inside on deck 13, #13019. I hope there isn't any vibration I read about and I need to ask if she booked this room on purpose since it is so high up and far from everything. Her last trip she and my brother were upgraded at port to a balcony cabin...I can only wish!   Our last trip was for 3 weeks in October 2016 to Ireland, England then the QM2 and by the time we boarded we were ready for some alone time on the ship and pretty much just saw each other for dinner.  I will arrive 3 days prior to sailing so we can explore southampton. 

Edited by jayally1968

7 hours ago, jayally1968 said:

Thank you,  I was thinking that too since she has been getting sick more often and will be 74 this month and there may not be many more trips. This was a very last minute trip  to coordindate with my work and the added stress of canceling and rebooking so many things I already had in place from months ago.  My daughter is so done with Vermont winters and glad to be heading home to Southern California with a  dual degree in Art and Phsycology from Middlebury College! 

My Mom added me to the booking today for $470, she thought she had paid for a double but it was a single supplement and its an inside on deck 13, #13019. I hope there isn't any vibration I read about and I need to ask if she booked this room on purpose since it is so high up and far from everything. Her last trip she and my brother were upgraded at port to a balcony cabin...I can only wish!   Our last trip was for 3 weeks in October 2016 to Ireland, England then the QM2 and by the time we boarded we were ready for some alone time on the ship and pretty much just saw each other for dinner.  I will arrive 3 days prior to sailing so we can explore southampton. 

OH, the weather in Middlebury isn't so bad LOL. 

We came back from Great Brit 2 years ago.  If your mother , or yourself watches PBS  Dr Martin, you have to go to Port Isaac, Cornwall.  This  is where it is filmed. ....then seeing that little town every week on TV will bring back such nice memories🤗  If you watch Poldack you can also see that countryside.  We spent 9 days roaming Cornwall and Devon  before the cruise.....and if you havn't been to St Ives and St Michaels Mount in Penzance....LOL I could go on and on... it won't take long to explore Southampton..When my daughter turned 30 we took a cruise together because she had just got engaged and I figured it would be the last time we could vacation alone...and I was right😋...well, I'll say a little prayer for your Mom and you and an upgrade for when you board 😉

Your  dressed like Wonder Woman in the photo...my daughter dressed like that once...you look like her...I'm your mothers age LOL  enjoy...

Edited by myjillian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, myjillian said:

If your mother , or yourself watches PBS  Dr Martin, you have to go to Port Isaac, Cornwall.  This  is where it is filmed. ....then seeing that little town every week on TV will bring back such nice memories🤗  If you watch Poldack you can also see that countryside. 

This is EXACTLY what we are doing!

Visiting Cornwall before the cruise!

Can’t wait!

3 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

This is EXACTLY what we are doing!

Visiting Cornwall before the cruise!

Can’t wait!

If you have any questions or need any advice...I can still remember back 2 years LOL...but it was also the 3rd time we did a few days in Brit before the sailing.😃

• Like 1

We were in Cornwall just a few days ago - stayed in Rock (where Doombar beer comes from)... just down the road from Port Isaac. This is also where the film Fisherman's Friend comes from (based on the local guys who performed locally, singing sea shanties for charity). 

There is a bench on the sandhills at Perranporth dedicated to Winston Graham.

If you are driving down and fancy some shopping, stop off at Clarks Village in Somerset for some good bargains. We stop off every year on our annual pilgrimage to Cornwall.

• Like 1

We have 2 full days in Southampton and are going to Portsmouth to see https://www.hms-victory.com/ and then depending on weather go Corfu to visit https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfe-castle where my Mother used to go to as a child. We are on the May 17th sailing and she did book and choose deck 13 while on her last voyage in 2017 because she wants to see the new staterooms. She doesn't believe in spending extra money for a balcony or window because she doesn't spend much time in her cabin except to sleep.  When adding me to her booking she asked about upgrades but was told the ship is fully booked but maybe something will change when we check in. :-) 

8 hours ago, jayally1968 said:

We have 2 full days in Southampton and are going to Portsmouth to see https://www.hms-victory.com/ and then depending on weather go Corfu to visit https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfe-castle where my Mother used to go to as a child. We are on the May 17th sailing and she did book and choose deck 13 while on her last voyage in 2017 because she wants to see the new staterooms. She doesn't believe in spending extra money for a balcony or window because she doesn't spend much time in her cabin except to sleep.  When adding me to her booking she asked about upgrades but was told the ship is fully booked but maybe something will change when we check in. 🙂

When you go to Portsmouth, also take time to see the Mary Rose. We saw it when they first brought it up and again a few years ago. The museum that accompanies it is excellent. 

• Like 1