Silversea Reveals Details of Silver Origin

hubofhockey

Here is the link to the article.

This one now says summer of 2020, so maybe they are moving away from their March 2020 delivery. Cruise Critic also has an article, which says still March 2020.  I think I'll go with Cruise Critic.  

There are some details here, but this is still not much.

Silver Origin

Edited by hubofhockey

They are copying the infinite balcony concept from Celebrity Edge/Flora, but I would think that is an alternative to window and porthole cabins and not a replacement of regular balconies.

The cruise critic article is much better.  It does say the first "revenue sailing" is June 27, but the launch is March, which grandfathers those of us who have already booked the Silver Galapagos at deal prices without having to say that revenue somehow lessens the revenue per sailing of the Origin.

It looks as if Silversea will compete well with the Celebrity Flora.

20 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Interesting that CC describes Hot Rocks as the more sophisticated of the two dining venues; on classic ships, it is the most casual.

Surely the writer mixed up these venues, right?  Why would such a casual outdoor venue on all of the other ships, whereby grease splatters all over the table and glassware, suddenly become more sophisticated than The Restaurant indoors?  Makes no sense to me.

I'm not so sure now that they'll be using the new ship until June, despite taking delivery in March.   It says the first "revenue sailing" is June 27, 2020.  Maybe they'll be working out the kinks from March through mid-June and then maybe doing a travel agent cruise in mid-June, but from March through June, the Silver Galapagos may still be in service.  I hope the staff remains on the Silver Galapagos until June.  Just a bit nervous about keeping a booking on a ship that will be taken out of service less than a month after my cruise.  It will make no sense for them to do much maintenance on that ship.

Edited by hubofhockey

Has there been any indication of price?

We are looking at the Galapagos in 2021, but cant find any cruises for sale on origin.

My reasoning being, that I am on celebrity edge next month and therefore could book celebrity flora for 2021 while on board. Currently the 7 day sailings are selling for around $9-10k pp (USD), 7 night cruise only, however I’ll also be on my first Silversea cruise in July on Silver Cloud, so could also book Silver Origin while on board. It actually seems Silversea may end up being cheaper than celebrity as they include airfare. 

Seeing that the ships will be similar (all inclusive, all suites etc), I wonder how they will differentiate themselves from each other.