Rental car in San Diego after cruise?

canadarocks

We'll be disembarking in San Diego, staying there for four additional days, and we intend to rent a car. Since we'll have to return the rental to the airport, is it best to transfer from the cruise port to the airport to rent the car on the first day? I know some agencies charge less if you pick up and return their rentals to the same location. Or is there an agency closer to the cruise port that will either bring us a rental or where we could take a quick taxi to pick a rental car up? 

Wont necessarily make it more expensive and sometimes when it is more expensive for the one way rental its not any more so than the Uber to the airport which would make picking the rental up at the port more convenient. I would compare-- both Avis and Hertz have agencies within a couple block walk from the cruise terminal from what I remember (we rented with Avis that time). 

I agree with princeton123211. Do some shopping. It might be cheaper getting it locally and returning locally, or at the airport. Or it might not be any difference at all. The only way to know is to do the research- there is no "right every time" answer. Each car company does things differently, and locations can be different for a variety of reasons. 

All rental car companies have moved from the airport to the new off-site rental car facility at the east end of the airport. If you go to the airport, you will have to take a shuttle bus to this facility to pick up your car. This is also where you drop your car when returning it. Much easier to take a cab or Uber from the port to the rental car facility directly (you can even walk it if you are up for about a 1.5 mile walk).

I believe you can still go to the Little ltaly Avis location (and they will shuttle you to the facility above to get the car) instead, but there are many companies with better prices than Avis at the rental car facility.