Pier 91, Seattle disembarking advice

Hi, We will be on the Ovation of the seas early August and would like some advice on the best options for us when disembarking , hope you can help 😁

There will be 5 of us travelling to seatac for a flight at 1.30pm, we are planning on using the port valet service - would this be best or take our luggage off ourselves?

If we use port valet can you take things like toiletries in your hand luggage on the flight or are there restrictions like an international flight?

As there are 5 of us I’m wondering on the best and easiest transport to the airport.

We won’t have Wi-fi so I don’t think Uber/Lyft will be an option - how big does the taxi queue get? Are we best booking a private transfer?

What time do you advise disembarking the ship? With the number of people leaving and if another ship is in port, I’m concerned about the amount of people trying to get to the same place! 

Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

US rules for liquids on flights:

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.

Check the West Coast Departures forum for travel options:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

I remember from our Alaska cruise last August (Explorer of the Seas) that this port was so crowded to leave, and we were suite walk-off.

They have a taxi cab stand immediately located at the exit from the terminal, and the cabs say a flat fee to the airport.

I cannot remember exact price maybe 30ish.???

However when you get in the driver starts the meter??????

We go what about the flat fee advertised???

He goes I'm independent.

DH goes then why were you in the line for taxis with the sign.

He goes that is where we are told to go.

After all was said and done we paid about $50.

The uber area is a good half mile hike from the terminal. I would not recommend this.

Just guarantee your price ahead of time whatever you decide.

It was a 40 min. ride to airport with some traffic.

Enjoy your cruise.

3 minutes ago, DougMacP said:

You don't need wi-fi for Uber or Lyft, just a smart phone and an account.  With 5 people I would consider a Van service like Shuttle Express https://shuttleexpress.com/seattle-cruise-transfers/ 

I got the impression that the OP would not have cell coverage in the US.

14 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

The uber area is a good half mile hike from the terminal. I would not recommend this.

This (pickup location) is probably in flux - we were able to get one pretty close to the terminal (same area a private pick ups).

Thank you for your replies, apologies I should have said we are from England so we won’t have cellular coverage.

I received this quote from shuttle express so figured using the port valet and a taxi would be a lot cheaper. I wasn’t sure of the wait time for a taxi though - considering the amount of people on 1/2 cruise ships at the port!

the Exclusive Van price would be $170.70, 
and the SUV, $123.50. 

Any idea on the best time to disembark so we arrive at the airport with enough time for security etc.. we are flying to San Francisco.

Just another consideration. Last year we did the Port Valet service. It enables us to go to Pikes Market for awhile before heading to the airport. Very nice without luggage. And to get to the airport, we took the train from downtown to the Airport. About a 35 minute trip. It was on a Saturday, not busy at all. To get from Pikes market to  where you would catch the train is about a 15 minute walk. Our flight was at 2:30 though so we had a bit more time than what you may have.    The west coast departures forum has lots of other opinions on taking the train.  There were 4 of us and I think the total 1 way cost might of been $10 U.S.

For toiletries, we left most of them in our checked package but had a very small tube of toothpaste, toothbrush, travel size of deoordorant, brush. Minimal stuff and what we could take on in our carry on. 

Edited by BobbyOrr
spelling mistakes, more info

On 4/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, Milo123 said:

Thank you for your replies, apologies I should have said we are from England so we won’t have cellular coverage.

I received this quote from shuttle express so figured using the port valet and a taxi would be a lot cheaper. I wasn’t sure of the wait time for a taxi though - considering the amount of people on 1/2 cruise ships at the port!

the Exclusive Van price would be $170.70, 
and the SUV, $123.50. 

Any idea on the best time to disembark so we arrive at the airport with enough time for security etc.. we are flying to San Francisco.

Are you changing airlines in San Francisco? I don't think you can use port valet for international flights out of Seattle, you should check with port valet https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Then the 5 of you would fit in a SUV or XL uber, I would only think you would need the van if you lots of luggage for 5.

No we are staying in San Francisco, our holiday continues for a while afterwards 😁

We won’t be using our phones in America as we are from the uk and the charges will be crazy so it’s either taxi or private transfer

On 4/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, DougMacP said:

You don't need wi-fi for Uber or Lyft, just a smart phone and an account.  With 5 people I would consider a Van service like Shuttle Express https://shuttleexpress.com/seattle-cruise-transfers/ 

Maybe things have changed, but I would never use that company for transfer to the airport. Almost 3 years ago we needed transfer from pier to Seatec. We had luggage valet so we were quickly off and on the pier by 8:30 or so. Went to the Shuttle Express area and got this. We had to pay and then they would call the van. You couldn't pay and plan a time ahead of time. The 6 of us paid and then waited and waited and waited. After 45 minutes we insisted on our money back. We got a taxi right away with no problem and made our noon flight

9 hours ago, Milo123 said:

No we are staying in San Francisco, our holiday continues for a while afterwards 😁

We won’t be using our phones in America as we are from the uk and the charges will be crazy so it’s either taxi or private transfer

You can get a pay as you go phone plan in Junaeu that will have a sim card for your phone for $30 to $35 at the AT&T store about 3 blocks from the pier. SF is lyft /uber heavy so it might be a thought.

https://goo.gl/maps/Y3KsXhExFtq

Edited by AlanF65

38 minutes ago, East Bay Skiers said:

Does anybody know whether Royal Caribbean offers transportation to the airport?  I appreciate any information!  Thanks!

Yes, last time I checked, Royal charged $27 per person.

3 minutes ago, East Bay Skiers said:

Thank so much Bob!  I guess if there are two of us a taxi sounds much better.

I've found that Royal's price for transfers is OK for one person, but for two or more people in the same party, it's usually better to arrange outside transportation.