Cruise Critic Community
MMGo785

Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay with 1 Year Old

Hi,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while 🙂

We'll be bringing our 16 month old on the Anthem for her first cruise in a few weeks. The ship will be in Bermuda for two days, so we're thinking of taking a ferry to the Aquarium/Zoo one day, and going to the baby beach at Horseshoe Bay the other day. 

It seems like options for Horseshoe Bay transport are taxi, # 7 bus or beach minibus shuttle. Has anyone taken the minibus shuttle with a child or infant? Would a toddler or baby be safe sitting on an adult's lap or in a baby carrier? I've been trying to find pictures of the shuttles, with the thought that if they're just smaller versions of a public bus, a toddler/infant would be OK being carried. I don't think I would feel comfortable without a car seat if the shuttle was the size of a minivan, however.

We have a Cosco Scenera car seat that we could bring along, but we were hoping to avoid it (I found a car service with infant seats that we can use to/from the ship for departure and our return home). We also bought a car seat lock clip, just in case we do bring the car seat.

The other option is the #7 bus, but I heard that we would have to get up/down a hill to get to the beach, which wouldn't be ideal with a baby and all of our gear. There will be 3 adults, as my mom is joining us, so maybe we could do it? Has anyone taken the #7 bus to Horseshoe with an infant or toddler? Is that our best option?

How do you plan to get to the aquarium from Hamilton/St. Georges? The ferry doesn't go direct there. You will still need a taxi or a bus.

I think the mini buses are like 15 passenger vans, but I'm not sure.

I’m also trying to figure this out. We’ll be going on Anthem when our daughter is 14 months. Honestly, the mini buses don’t look like they’d be safe for them and I don’t think you can install the car seat. I was considering bringing the Cosco seat and taking a taxi, but then I don’t know what to do with it on the beach. 

Hopefully someone will have some ideas. 

But please let us know how it goes for you guys! 

E591A892-15CF-4CDD-9575-3DE5CA6DF037.png

On 4/12/2019 at 7:28 PM, 1025cruise said:

How do you plan to get to the aquarium from Hamilton/St. Georges? The ferry doesn't go direct there. You will still need a taxi or a bus.

I think the mini buses are like 15 passenger vans, but I'm not sure.

I was planning on a ferry+bus combo for the aquarium. I have no issue taking the public bus at all, I was just concerned about the hill at the Horseshoe public bus stop more than anything. I can't tell how doable it would be for our group based off of other posts, since it's so different for everyone.

15 passengers sounds OK. Maybe I'll have to decide once there though. Thank you!

On 4/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, Essiesmom said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  You might try asking this on the Ports of Call board for Bermuda, which is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/118-bermuda/

Thanks! Appreciate it. I'll ask on the Bermuda board as well.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, jludvigs said:

I’m also trying to figure this out. We’ll be going on Anthem when our daughter is 14 months. Honestly, the mini buses don’t look like they’d be safe for them and I don’t think you can install the car seat. I was considering bringing the Cosco seat and taking a taxi, but then I don’t know what to do with it on the beach. 

Hopefully someone will have some ideas. 

But please let us know how it goes for you guys! 

E591A892-15CF-4CDD-9575-3DE5CA6DF037.png

I'll definitely return to this thread after we go, and let you know. I've searched around both on CC and TripAdvisor and still can't decide. I imagine it will just be one of those parental judgement calls made at the moment. Since we'll have 3 adults, we might just end up doing the public bus for sanity's/safety's sake. It might not be as difficult as I think it is. The car seat at the beach just doesn't sound fun. And I can picture sand falling out of it for months afterward. I think we're going to nix the taxi option.

I'm also going to check on the Bermuda port-of-call board, as Essiesmom suggested. Good luck to you!