Car rental

horsegal

Our ports are Hilo, Kona, Maui (Kahului), Kauai, and Honolulu. Most ports are 9-6 or 8-5 except Honolulu and Maui are 8am -11pm. We are thinking about just renting cars since they are about $50 for each port. Are the any ports that it is not worth renting a car or takes up to much time picking up and dropping off? I was finding the rentals from airport locations. We are not sure what we want to do in ports and the cruise leaves at the end of September so we really need to figure this out soon!!!

Open to any suggestions on things to do as well! We enjoy snorkeling,  relaxing at the beach,  nature,  my husband likes historical stuff so we will be going to pearl harbor. 

I think every port is easy to navigate around in a rental car except for on O’ahu but that’s still doable.  In general I think renting a car is the best option but take into consideration that all islands can be affected by traffic congestion.

O’ahu has the most traffic & driving around the Honolulu area can be confusing.  Another alternative is using their public bus system particularly in Honolulu...The Bus...which we’ve used it to go to Pearl Harbor.  Once outside of the greater Honolulu area the driving gets much easier.

I think the best sandy beaches for snorkeling & relaxation are on Maui...South & West.  Kona has good snorkeling but few sandy beaches so they are best accessed from boats.  In Hilo would recommend things such as Volcanoes NP & Akaka Falls.  Kauai has sandy beaches but except for Poipu Beach on the south side it’s been my experience that ocean conditions have been rough.   O’ahu is surrounded by sandy beaches but don’t think they’re good for snorkeling.  In general the west (leeward) side of islands offer the best beach opportunities & the east (windward) tend to be the roughest.

Since your husband likes historical sites you might consider visiting Lahaina...the former whaling capital of the world & for a brief time the capital of the Hawaiian Monarchy.  Here’s a link to information about Lahaina including their historical walking tour.

https://lahainatown.com/

That’s some general information & if you want more specific information just ask about whatever interests you the most.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

We are coming into Lihue cruise port on Kauai and plan to pick up a rental car at the airport. Will there be taxis at the cruise port to drive us to the airport? Thank you. Hope this doesn't hijack this thread.

1 hour ago, gwhitti said:

We are coming into Lihue cruise port on Kauai and plan to pick up a rental car at the airport. Will there be taxis at the cruise port to drive us to the airport? Thank you. Hope this doesn't hijack this thread.

The LIH airport car rental agencies provide free shuttles from the port & take about 10 minutes.  I’d recommend confirming that your agency provides a shuttle but all the ones we used had a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Edited by Astro Flyer

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The LIH airport car rental agencies provide free shuttles from the port & take about 10 minutes.  I’d recommend confirming that your agency provides a shuttle but all the ones we used had a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Great info. Thank you. 

On 4/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Thank you! Seeing some water falls,  Volcanoes NP, seeing Napali coast, and doing a hike are some things I would like to do.  I could care less about doing the historical stuff!! Lol

Is there an advantage in renting a car for two days as opposed to two separate one-day rentals in Maui?  We will be in Kahului overnight on POA.  I originally reserved a Dollar rental car for the first day, but later made a separate reservation for the second day.  Should I try to combine the two reservations?  With a two day rental we would still have to park the car at the airport and take a taxi back to the port.  Is it a big hassle to go through the rental process twice?