Riviera vs. Marina

ak1004

Hello all,

We sailed on the Riviera last September and absolutely loved it! Our best cruise since we started cruising (have been on Celebrity, HAL, RCI, Cunard, Costa and Princess). We especially appreciated the outstanding food, lack of lines and overall atmosphere.

We are considering a cruise on the Marina next year. I know that Riviera and Marina are sister ships, but are they similar in terms of service, food, entertainment, staff friendliness etc? Anything we should know before booking?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Exactly.  The few differences haven't been discernible to me!

If you were asking what differences exist between Rivier/Marina and the "R" ships, the answers would be very different.  (Personally I don't have a real preference but there are many who do -- in either direction.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

We were on Azamara Pursuit few weeks ago (which is an R ship as you know). We loved it overall, but Riviera worked better for us. We liked that Riviera has a real theater and not a small lounge. There are more activities since it's a bigger ship, but still small enough so there are no crowds and lines. Perfect size for us. And I'm glad to hear that Marina is very similar.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you.

We were on Azamara Pursuit few weeks ago (which is an R ship as you know). We loved it overall, but Riviera worked better for us. We liked that Riviera has a real theater and not a small lounge. There are more activities since it's a bigger ship, but still small enough so there are no crowds and lines. Perfect size for us. And I'm glad to hear that Marina is very similar.

I'm not sure what category cabin/suite you had, but the one difference that does exist is pretty small:  On the Spa area deck outside (forward), where there is a nice Therapy Pool on the Riviera, on the Marina, there are two much smaller hot tubs there instead.  We really enjoyed the Therapy Pool, but it's not enough of a "difference" to keep us from the Marina.

However, all else equal (which is rarely the case, especially the itinerary at a particular time), we'd choose Riviera.  Our next cruise is indeed on Marina.

We love the size of Oceania's two larger ship, especially including the larger size of the cabins and PH suites, and we really like having all four of the Specialty Restaurants.  However, we'll probably given the smaller ships a try at some point due to itinerary.

We really enjoy the peacefulness, and the other passengers are also very pleasant (and no hoards of children racing around, even during holiday season).

GC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Pretty much the same set up and experience. Only difference is in staff but they're all good. 

Maybe the staff are different from one O ship to another during the same time period. However, many of the longer serving staff often move from one ship to another for their next contract.

• Like 1

We sailed on Marina a month or two after its maiden voyage in 2011 and eight years later husband legaleaglegreen still aboids returning to sail on the Oceania  “R” ships, looking only at Riviera and Marina itineraries!

I remember reading when Riviera debuted that its Oceanview C cabins on Deck 7 midships lacked the view-obstructing lower rails outside the floor to ceiling windows in that cabin category that those same cabins have on Marina.

I personally prefer the artwork on Riviera and, unless things have changed, only Riviera has an audio tour of its magnificent art that you can obtain from Reception.  I hope someone tells me I am wrong about this one because we sail on Marina in three weeks, and I would love to take a similar tour of its art. 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

Honestly, we don't care much about the cabins as we only sleep there, so we usually book the inside cabin on most ships. 

The only drawdown for us on the Riviera was the size of the shower in the inside cabin. I know that veranda cabins are bigger and have shower and bathtub, but for us this is not important enough to pay over $2,000 CAD per person (sometimes more).

Everything else was just perfect. I probably couldn't find anything wrong even if I tried really hard. All Specialty Restaurants are amazing (although in case of Riviera, the food in MDR is so good that there is no huge difference that you see on some other lines). Lack of formal nights, free dining, relaxed atmosphere - everything was just perfect.

• Like 2

the crew changes from time to time  & ship to ship  but basically the ships are the same

Art work is different  & yes the art tour is on Marina as well

the spa deck T Pool is large on Riviera

should be the same experience for the most part on both ships

JMO

Concerning Art Work;

I was on the Marina this past February, 2 months ago. Before that, my most recent cruise on that ship was November 2017. Sometime in that 15 month span the art work aboard ship had nearly completely changed. It was still very nicely done, but it was different. I enjoyed the different in that it gave me completely new artwork to wander and look at. The artwork they had aboard in 2017 was rotated in late 2014 or early 2015. 

Moral of of this story is that, unlike the menu in the Specialties, Oceania does rotate and update the art selections on the ships. Therefore claiming one prefers any ship over another one because of its artwork is snapshot a different cruiser may not see.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

We took our first Oceania cruise last July on the Marina to the British Isles. The ship is beautiful. We had a Concierge Class cabin on Deck 9 which was roomy and beautiful. The majority of the food (won't get into the few hiccups) was very good to excellent...but we will never book again. Not having a retractable cover over the pool or the Spa deck T-pool on ships with such varied destinations, not to mention the Northern Atlantic or Trans-Atlantic sailings is, in my opinion, not what is expected on a luxury cruise line. If since last July retractable covers have been added that was a very wise decision.   

Not arguing with your comment -- just pointing out that Oceania has never categorized itself as LUXURY.  Something close, but not quite there.  Whether the retractable cover is a requirement for being considered luxury, I'm not sure.  I think your point could be made for all lines sailing in these areas.

Mura

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

We took our first Oceania cruise last July on the Marina to the British Isles. The ship is beautiful. We had a Concierge Class cabin on Deck 9 which was roomy and beautiful. The majority of the food (won't get into the few hiccups) was very good to excellent...but we will never book again. Not having a retractable cover over the pool or the Spa deck T-pool on ships with such varied destinations, not to mention the Northern Atlantic or Trans-Atlantic sailings is, in my opinion, not what is expected on a luxury cruise line. If since last July retractable covers have been added that was a very wise decision.   

There are many luxury cruise lines that do not have retractable covers over pools or spas and there are many non luxury/mainstream cruise lines that do have covered/indoor pools/spas. You are certainly entitled to your preference and to express your opinion, but whether or not a covered pool exists on a ship has absolutely nothing to do with whether a cruise line is in the "luxury" category.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edgee said:

You are certainly entitled to your preference and to express your opinion, but whether or not a covered pool exists on a ship has absolutely nothing to do with whether a cruise line is in the "luxury" category.

+1 

This is another example of the almost willful ignorance of deliberately not reading the deck plans.  :classic_wacko:

What are they there for?

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, Mura said:

Not arguing with your comment -- just pointing out that Oceania has never categorized itself as LUXURY.  Something close, but not quite there.  Whether the retractable cover is a requirement for being considered luxury, I'm not sure.  I think your point could be made for all lines sailing in these areas.

Mura

Well Cruise Critic  just   did a rating of the 10 best Luxury ships today... Rivera  came out #3.....    None of the top luxury ships has a  roll-away roof !!!    Regent, Crystal,Seabourn, Silversea,   Guess they are not luxury ships.

As far as a silly retractable roof goes  you can have it...its like swimming at the holiday  inn in Iowa with a enclosed pool.  If Luxury is defined by a roof over the pool....then Holland America is a Luxury line... as you dine on taco's and cheap hot dogs......Dont eat too many as  an 6 days its lobster night !!!   

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Thanks 1