Port Canaveral/Jetty Park

Newleno

Hello We are cruising on NCL, they are on the wrong side of the dock/pier/terminal (what ever you want to call it) We want to get over to Jetty Park for FREE, you cant walk across the bridge.  Any ideas?  We are frugal cruisers and cant afford a taxi, we would like to walk but appears we cant get to the other side.  Thank you for your time

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Try Uber/Lyft.

cant afford it, port canaveral is making a lot of money off cruise ships and they dont have a free shuttle to get you out of the port to the public bus, this is outrageous! 

Edited by Newleno
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Newleno said:

cant afford it, port canaveral is making a lot of money off cruise ships and they dont have a free shuttle to get you out of the port to the public bus, this is outrageous! 

You should voice your feelings (and don't hold back or sugar coat it) to the Port Authority:

Canaveral Port Authority
445 Challenger Road, Suite 301
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Phone: (321) 783.7831

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oviedo32765 said:

You should voice your feelings (and don't hold back or sugar coat it) to the Port Authority:

Canaveral Port Authority
445 Challenger Road, Suite 301
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Phone: (321) 783.7831

thank you for the information

17 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I don't think there is an area public bus either so not sure where the "free shuttles" would take you?

I dont know why anyone would want to post wrong information.  Of course you can catch the public bus across the bridge, the number 9 bus will take you to cocoa beach or you can just walk to Jetty Park (once you get out of the port on the other side of the bridge.)  Now if I were on Royal Carribbean instead of NCL this would not be a problem, because Royal parks on the "right" side.  If you were on Royal you could just walk to jetty park or take the #9 public bus  to cocoa beach.  It is outrageous that there is no free way to get out of a port, other ports around the world if there is no way to walk out of the port there is at least a free shuttle to take you to the front gate.  "stand up fight back" against this injustice due to greed

Edited by Newleno

18 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I guess you don't understand the term "I don't think", it's not an absolute statement. Carry on with your outrage.

Your doubling down on giving wrong information.   I personally would rather not post at all than to give wrong information, if I did give wrong information I would just apologize and move on, but that is just me.

Im just trying to figure out if anyone knows away to get across the bridge by walking or for free.  

Edited by Newleno

I would appreciate it if everyone would contact  port Canaveral  cruise port, there needs to be a free shuttle on April 23 from the NCL Pearl to Exploration Tower, from there we can walk to jetty park or take the #9 bus to cocoa beach.  Here is the form, it will only take you a minute, thank you  https://www.portcanaveral.com/Contact 

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

I dont know why anyone would want to post wrong information.  Of course you can catch the public bus across the bridge, the number 9 bus will take you to cocoa beach or you can just walk to Jetty Park (once you get out of the port on the other side of the bridge.)  Now if I were on Royal Carribbean instead of NCL this would not be a problem, because Royal parks on the "right" side.  If you were on Royal you could just walk to jetty park or take the #9 public bus  to cocoa beach.  It is outrageous that there is no free way to get out of a port, other ports around the world if there is no way to walk out of the port there is at least a free shuttle to take you to the front gate.  "stand up fight back" against this injustice due to greed

Reading comprehension...  no public bus that leaves from the NCL side...  I knew that was what was meant.

As for every other port in the world...  have you been to Europe???   

Perhaps you need to re-budget to provide for what you want to do (maybe drink 2 less drinks, buy 1 less T-shirt).  I don't think Port Canaveral is going to provide private transportation to someone who can't do what all the other cruisers do every time an NCL ship comes to port...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Reading comprehension...  no public bus that leaves from the NCL side...  I knew that was what was meant. (yeah i have no idea of what you are talking about)

As for every other port in the world...  have you been to Europe???   

Perhaps you need to re-budget to provide for what you want to do (maybe drink 2 less drinks, buy 1 less T-shirt).  I don't think Port Canaveral is going to provide private transportation to someone who can't do what all the other cruisers do every time an NCL ship comes to port...

So what you are trying to say is that you dont know a way to get across the bridge for free(so i can get to the $1.50 public bus on the other side near exploration tower, or so I can walk to Jetty Park).  Yes I have been to europe and I never had a port where I could not get out without paying (either free shuttle to the gate or by walking)  Never in all my cruising have I come across a port where you have to pay to get out, there is no free  option in port canaveral.  Yeah I dont drink and I dont buy tshirts, i do travel on the frugal.  

PS in Toyko they came to the ship and brought us downtown for free!!  (even though there was a public bus stop right there)

Edited by Newleno

23 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I don't think there is an area public bus either so not sure where the "free shuttles" would take you?

Exploration Tower
Fishlips Waterfront Bar & Grill
Grills Seafood Deck & Tiki Bar
Rusty's Seafood and Oyster Bar
Fired Up Sport Fishing Charters
National Car Rental
Ship to Shore Fun LLC
OFishal Business Charters
Shark Fishing Cocoa Beach
Seafood Atlantic
Smokehouse Foods
Fishlips Pavilion at Jetty Park
Jetty Park

as I recall there was a free bus service a few years ago ... not run by the port but by beach side merchants ... took you to a spot between Ron Jon and Shepard Beach ... after a while I believe a small charge was tried ....  and now it is gone.  One can only guess that it was under used and/or the merchants saw no value.

I disagree with your opinion that the port has an obligation to get you 'outside' or connected with public transportation. Certainly this is not provided in Lauderdale/Everglades or Miami BUT I'll agree in a big difference: those ports are SELDOM 'port calls' ... Miami is occasionally but not nearly the frequency Canaveral sees.  WHY?

SIMPLE - DISNEY/UNIVERSAL/SEA WORLD/KENNEDY SPACE CENTER ..... ships stop in Canaveral because they can offer excursions to these popular destinations. I would opine that since the cruise line has chosen to stop in PC, and they know the issues with foot traffic, the obligation to provide an alternative is theirs and NOT the port's.  Before you label me a PC fan btw you should know that as a local resident I see them as money grabbing, unfriendlies ..... but unfortunately don't jump to your side in this debate. (They have a history of ugly practices wrt parking and currently are under pressure since they started charging $15 a car to park on a space launch day with no refund or rain check if the launch cancels ... never before did they charge except in the camp ground / park)

I'd also mention that in many ports on my most recent EU cruise where the ship pier was well beyond walking distance to town, a free shuttle service was offered by the town ...... clearly they saw a profit to be made but as already discussed this didn't work in PC/Cocoa Beach

There was and still may be a 'golf cart' type service that was providing rides in 'the Cove' area including terminal one ..... but it can not cross the draw bridge to the 'north terminals' either.  For those unfamiliar that's the issue in question: the terminals on the north side of the port (DCL, NCL, CARN primarily) are accessed via a draw bridge which has NO provision for foot traffic (they are old).  They're simply are NO foot paths leading to/from or ON the draw bridge(s) so for safety reasons port police WILL stop walkers.

You MIGHT be able to walk to the north bank area of the Canaveral Lock which is just west of Terminal 10 and an area manatee are often spotted . . . with a decent pair of binoculars you can see a bunch of stuff at the space center from the upper deck of the ship . . 

Had you pulled my heart strings hard enuf I'd pick you up myself and show you the town ..... but you didn't. Stay on board ... enjoy the mostly empty ship OR ask around and find someone of similar opinion and SHARE a ride someplace . . . to your mutual benefit.

There IS one 'site' on the north side: http://www.afspacemuseum.org/

The Sands Space History Center, formerly known as The Air Force Space and Missile History Center, an extension of the museum, is located just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Admission is free. No Cape access pass is required. The History Center contains historic information and displays for each Launch Complex (LC) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 2

"I disagree with your opinion that the port has an obligation to get you 'outside' or connected with public transportation. Certainly this is not provided in Lauderdale/Everglades or Miami BUT I'll agree in a big difference: those ports are SELDOM 'port calls' ... Miami is occasionally but not nearly the frequency Canaveral sees.  WHY?"

Thanks for the information about the Manatees, probably will come in very handy

If the port does not let you walk out of the area then there must be a free shuttle, as I previously stated all ports I have been to have this, I youcn walk out in fort lauderdale, you can walk out in Miami, you cant walk out and go across the bridge in port canaveral.  it is illegal to do so.  Also once again if I were on Royal (due to the berth location) this would not be a problem because you can walk.  Port Canaveral must solve this problem.  Port Canaveral is planning or are in the process of building a new terminal on the right side of the port spending millions for the lucky ones that will be parked on the right side and can walk to Jetty Park.  This problem must be fixed.  The only reason a free shuttle must be provided is because you cant walk out like in miami or fort lauderdale.  please contact port Canaveral to fix this problem

Edited by Newleno
  • Haha 1

This problem must be fixed. I doubt the port sees or WILL see it as a 'problem' .....

good luck on your quest

come back in 6 months and tell us how it went!

wondering ..... ships at 'the Mole' in Key West .. folks can not walk out here either.  There IS a free ride service to downtown.  BUT who pays for this?  The ship?  The port?  The city?  Merchants?

Curiously this ride takes you all the way downtown, you can not get off until then .... altho you exit the 'restricted area' a few hundred yards form the pier ........   hmmmmmm .... anyone know?????

I can provide a small part of the answer .... Key West is not a CARGO port as is PC and there is no elected "Port Commission" as there is in PC.  KW is really just 3 independent piers: The Port of Key West now consists of three docking facilities: Mallory Square Dock, Pier B (privately owned) and the Navy Mole. https://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/department/index.php?structureid=22

AND OMG ONE Google query finds:

The Outer Mole Pier is a joint-use facility which belongs to the US Navy and is leased by the City of Key West for use as a cruise terminal. The marine division of the Key West Police Department staffs this facility with police officers and additional security staff. Because it is US Navy property, no one is allowed to walk, ride bikes, rollerblade, etc. through the property. All passengers and crew must use the complimentary, but mandatory train/trolley shuttle system provided by the city and Historic Tours of America (HTA).

Edited by Capt_BJ

13 hours ago, Newleno said:

The only reason a free shuttle must be provided is because you cant walk out like in miami or fort lauderdale.  please contact port Canaveral to fix this problem

Well, the other reason is you're too cheap to pay for an Uber. I get being frugal, but this is silly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Well, the other reason is you're too cheap to pay for an Uber. I get being frugal, but this is silly.

So a pretty innocuous question was asked by me, "is there a way to get out of the port for free"  So far I have learned that if you are berthed in Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 you get to leave the terminal for free, if not than you must pay. The facts are port Canveral discriminates. So far I have learned that in Fll, MIA, Key West you can get out of the terminal for free.  

It is crazy that I dont want to waste $30 and instead should just pay  Uber, Hmm we take about 6 cruises per year, say we wasted $30 on every cruise that is $180 now we compound $180 X .06 interest (conservative S&P average is .09) for 25 years. That's $11,240.69.  We all see things differently for me wasting $11,240.69 is very very very "SILLY" especially when walking should be free.  Now that $11,000 saved can buy us 11 cruises, sorry I disagree not silly but frugal

Not to mention the numerous health  benefits of walking.

Edited by Newleno

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, Heather1972 said:

You can't walk cross the bridge because there is no sidewalk. Yes, it's a poor design. The park isn't free by the way. It's $15. Good luck staying on the ship. 

The park is free, you can walk in, you only have to pay if you have a vehicle is my understanding if I am wrong please inform.  I have more information in next post about how to get out of the "hostage" port Canaveral terminal 10

Ok here is what I did to get out of the port without paying the mandatory minimum $15  per person.   So rental car agencies will come right to the ship,  this includes the free hertz bus to the rental car location, outside the hertz rental car location is a the public bus ($1.50) that takes you right down the the Sheppard beach park area.  We saved $24 ( thats equivalent to 36 cans of mini ravioli bought at aldi, 36 lunches).  Cruising on the frugal I did not let port Canaveral get me down.  It is outrageous that Port Canaveral is allowed to discriminate based upon which terminal you are parked, Terminal 1 there is no charge to leave the port you can walk, terminal 10 no such option exists.

Edited by Newleno