Boston for a port day

atb

We are scheduled to arrive about 10 A to 11P, Saturday, May 18.  We want to catch a taxi at the pier, go to Omni Parker Hotel for brunch, then return by taxi.

We do not / have not ubered.  We used to take the shuttle to Fenuil Hall, then walk to Parker House, but DH can't walk that far.

Are taxis easily available?

44 minutes ago, atb said:

We are scheduled to arrive about 10 A to 11P, Saturday, May 18.  We want to catch a taxi at the pier, go to Omni Parker Hotel for brunch, then return by taxi.

We do not / have not ubered.  We used to take the shuttle to Fenuil Hall, then walk to Parker House, but DH can't walk that far.

Are taxis easily available?

Taxis should be available.  Not everyone uses Uber.  The Omni Parker House should be able to get you a return taxi.

Getting to the Omni Parker House is easy enough (although I think the brunch at nearby XV Beacon's restaurant and the Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons are better hotel brunches). I used to live in Boston and now travel there a lot for work-- traditional taxis are a dying breed and there are significantly less of them on the road now than even a few years ago. Not sure if you are philosophically against Uber (which I could understand) and if so I would try using Lyft. But a lot of times due to the dwindling amount of taxis on the road, Uber and Lyft are going to be faster, cheaper, and usually nicer. 

23 hours ago, atb said:

I guess you could call us luddites.  We have not embraced all the new technology required to successfully access Uber and Lyft.

I can certainly understand and am not judging. I would just budget some extra time if taxis are the only way you'll travel because the taxi fleet in Boston is significantly diminished and primarily just hangs out at the airport and a few of the bigger hotels. There might be some cabs by the port with a ship docking there but certainly not a line around the block like there was even a few years ago. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it were pretty much gone in the next few years. I was talking to a cab driver in front of my hotel a couple months ago about how fewer cabs I see and he said that they cant even get cab drivers to drive the cars there are because theres no money in it anymore. Alot of the drivers have moved over to the Uber/Lyft platform. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:18 AM, atb said:

I guess you could call us luddites.  We have not embraced all the new technology required to successfully access Uber and Lyft.

We had to have our adult son set up the Uber on our cell phone for us...and show us how to work it...it ended up being easier than we thought.

our cell phone is only a phone.  no text or app capability.  we live in a dead zone, so have never investigated having anything more than something for emergencies when we travel.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, atb said:

our cell phone is only a phone.  no text or app capability.  we live in a dead zone, so have never investigated having anything more than something for emergencies when we travel.

Boston, Ma. as you well knoiw is a wonderful walkable city having one of the Best and eldest Mass Transit Systems.  Look at that method too.

If your a Mason/OES  contacting the Lodges will be great benefit as well.

Have you been to Fenway Park? They still employ a few people to change the scorteboard near the Green Monster..

Although initially we were a bit hesitant to try it for the first time, We used Uber and Lyft recently on a trip to Las Vegas.  We had six different rides throughout our stay, and all were excellent.  We found that the drivers all loved sharing their local knowledge with us.  

Now I will always use Uber or Lyft whenever we need a ride somewhere on vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, atb said:

You are not alone-we're right there with you 😉  I have a flip phone which works just fine unless one wants to contact Uber, Lyft, etc.

• Like 2

When I was in Boston last summer, I never had a problem getting a taxi. Yes Uber/Lyft is convenient and often less expensive, but if you're near a hotel, taxis are easily accessible at/nearby the hotel's taxi stand. I also don't think you will have a problem getting one at the port.

• 3 weeks later...

This is good information.  My husband is mobility challenged & can only walk short distances slowly.  In Boston I plan to do

the Freedom Trail excursion without him through the ship & then return & use either UBER/LYFT for him to experience

some of Boston also.  Fortunately we've been here a number of times when he was active, so have seen a lot of Boston.  We

always loved to walk around the city, but now I would have to go alone.  While I don't mind that option I don't want him to miss

out on some activities.  Are UBER/Lyft readily available close to the ship or is it a distance for him to walk ?  TIA.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 11:50 AM, BarbinMich said:

You are not alone-we're right there with you 😉  I have a flip phone which works just fine unless one wants to contact Uber, Lyft, etc.

We upgraded to iPhones - the only problem is, they sit on the kitchen counter 95% of the time 🙂