Snorkeling in French Polynesia- big groups?

Petoonya

Looking at an itinerary in FP and it would be my first on Regent. We're also avid snorkelers. Have been to Tahiti several times on other cruise ships and always book independently in very small snorkeling groups to a boat, like 6-8. I request that we not visit areas where there are multitudes of other snorkelers or at least go at times when there are fewer people. It's worked well generally.  I also try to book with people who are experienced snorkelers as those who are a bit spooked slow things down. Which gets me to Regent. Looking through the excursions for FP on Regent and there are very few that mention snorkeling. The ones that do are predominantly catamarans. Since excursions on Regent are usually about 35 people I figure any snorkel tour is at least 12 people/boat and still a large group. Can anyone who has done Regent recently in FP and snorkels regularly verify that? And can you pay extra and dive?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Petroonya;

We were in the French Polynesia on the Mariner late last fall, visiting Moorea, Bora Bora and Papeete.

Yes, snorkeling excursions offered. The one we did in Moorea had about 15 Regent guests, pls see photo below. We did not find the snorkeling excursion too crowded and enjoyed it.

1a787a424b8ff52acd5aa794d3f7b836.jpg

12e2e0392b9ecf3945cc71a0ca84b11d.jpg

Alas, our cruise only offered snorkeling no diving. Friends and us did snorkel (us) and dive (them) with an outside dive operator. Our friends also booked dives a few more times off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, here's what I'm booked on currently that includes Tahiti:

Oceania Regatta 4/14/20, 2020 PPT-SF 18 nites

Regent Navigator 2/19/21 PPT-PPT 10 nites. A maybe (deciding between this and the Oceania 3/15)

Oceania Regatta 3/15/21 PPT-PPT 10 nites. Prices for same categories only $300/nite difference but excursions and alcohol only covered on Regent. But that consideration can be eliminated as we'd book our own excursions on Regent and we only drink a glass of wine a day.

Windstar Wind Spirit PPT-PPT 2/2021 17 nites

We've cruised 3 times Windstar and 8 times Oceania and crazy about both. It's the Regent experience we don't know about. If money were orange blossoms on my trees right now we'd just try Regent, but it's not. We're always looking for the best experience we can get for our dime. And if we have to book our own excursions to be able to use the vendors and very small groups we like it's just part of the ball game.

***** It's really Regent 2/21 and Oceania 3/15 and WS 2/21 that is a toss up for me.

Edited by Petoonya

31 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

***** It's really Regent 2/21 and Oceania 3/15 and WS 2/21 that is a toss up for me.

Based on your positive experience with Oceania and Windstar, I cannot see why you would be considering Regent - especially not on the Navigator.  

I am a Regent loyalist and it is rare for me to recommend a cruise line other than Regent but in this case, given everything that you have mentioned, I would sail on Oceania or Windstar.

3 hours ago, WesW said:

And here is an 18 nite LA to Papeete on the Navigator on Dec 5th this year for a 2 category upgrade and $250 SBC when u book.  And if you do your own BC air on Regent, the per diem is about $167 less.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV191205/summary

Jeez Wes. Really looks terrific. Like the itinerary better as this includes Fakarava and Moorea which the O one doesn't. Will have to check with TA and see what she can whip up. Might really be a winner for us. Thanks so much.

Nancy, you're very welcome.

Out of all the Regent  South Pacific itineraries (for 2019-2021) that include French Polynesia--like this one the most.  We enjoyed going to all of these ports in November. If y'all do not dive or snorkel in Moorea, Ida and I enjoyed this active hike in Moorea (the most demanding hike yet we have done on Regent).

eb48e55a0ef5e75d374155cff1946d58.jpg

6e4b42e3f7f716ed98e1336a99034970.jpg

Hope your TA can sweeten the Regent deal, plus if your booked the lowest category suite H (now GTY) your would be upgraded to a veranda with the offer they now

give you.

HIKE THE 3 COCONUTS TRAIL

Take in a good active workout and splendid views of Moorea at the same time, during this strenuous but invigorating hike along the Sister Island's three coconut trails. Your guide will introduce you to the fauna and flora of the island, and if the group pace allows, you may reach the famous top!

Depart the pier for the brief transfer to the starting point of your hiking tour. Upon arrival, you will proceed through the trails of the Sister Island. Along the way, a stop will be made at the famous Belvedere Lookout for panoramic views and photo opportunities over Cook's and Opunohu Bays. From here, you will continue on to the ridge separating the 2,887-foot-tall Mouaroa from the 3,960-foot-tall Tohivea. This brisk mountain hike will provide you with an intimate look at Tahiti's natural beauty, and beautiful views over Vaianae-Haapiti and Mt. Rotui.

Your hiking time lasts approximately 3-4hours,depending on fitness level of the group, after which you will be transferred back to the pier.

Please note: This tour involves a very strenuous and lengthy 3.5-mile hike over partly-shaded and uneven terrain, uphill and downhill trail walking/hiking with an elevation gain of 1,171 feet; all in a tropical environment of high heat and humidity. Ropes may be used, hike over fallen trees and crossing wet & muddy areas may be involved. This tour is only for experienced hikers who are in excellent physical condition. Duration is dependent on group fitness level; we estimate duration between 4 to 5 hours. Participants are required to sign a waiver. Operation of this tour is dependent upon favorable weather. Sun caps; sunglasses; sunscreen; insect repellant; a few bottles of water and a snack from the ship; change of socks; and flat, sturdy hiking boots are recommended.

READ LESS

Edited by WesW

Again, thanks so much Wes. You have a wealth of wonderful info. We are addicted divers/snorkelers but the 3 Coconuts Trail looks really interesting. We'd probably spend a few extra days on Moorea so this excursion would be great. You've got my wheels spinning. I may drive my TA nuts with my eyes glowing over all these Regent and O cruises of which I can reasonably only do two. If I take a leap of faith to Regent it will be greatly because of your help.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

We were on the same cruise as Wes and had a spectacular time!  We snorkeled in Bora Bora, Raiatea, Moorea, Fakarava, and Suva, Fiji.  The tours probably had 35 on the boat, but it was not crowded or any hassle.  You can book your own tours if you prefer.  In Fakarava, there were no tours, so we rented bikes at the port and just stopped on the road at the beautiful beach and snorkeled on our own.  It was spectacular!  People were able to book private tours on their own for diving and snorkeling, but we were quite happy with Regent's.  Here's some pics.  The first is a pic of Fakarava. The rest are random from the other islands.  

DSCN2371.jpg

DSCN2449.jpg

DSC07213.jpg

DSC07233.jpg

DSC07236.jpg

DSCN2491.jpg

DSCN2488.jpg

DSCN2494.jpg

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

Thanks Papa!

Spectacular photos. Looks like you had a wonderful time! But what I've learned so far here is still that a group of more than 8 is probably too many people in the water at one time for me. It does feel crowded to me when the group is larger than that, but realize not too many others feel the same.

Just returned in December from a Wind Spirit cruise that visited the same islands and atoll you visited and more. We were able to snorkel with groups as small as just my husband and I, and no more than eight passengers on any snorkel excursion. It enabled us to swim/snorkel in much deeper water at times and see different sea life. In Fakarava there are two outstanding tour providers one being the "famous" Ato Lissant. We swam with 15 foot wide manta rays and swam in 30 foot deep water and brushed by 8-10 foot lemon sharks. Don't think that can be done with a large group as some would love, some would hate. We'd probably still just book our own tours.

Thanks for sharing your experience and gorgeous photos!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks Papa!

Spectacular photos. Looks like you had a wonderful time! But what I've learned so far here is still that a group of more than 8 is probably too many people in the water at one time for me. It does feel crowded to me when the group is larger than that, but realize not too many others feel the same.

Just returned in December from a Wind Spirit cruise that visited the same islands and atoll you visited and more. We were able to snorkel with groups as small as just my husband and I, and no more than eight passengers on any snorkel excursion. It enabled us to swim/snorkel in much deeper water at times and see different sea life. In Fakarava there are two outstanding tour providers one being the "famous" Ato Lissant. We swam with 15 foot wide manta rays and swam in 30 foot deep water and brushed by 8-10 foot lemon sharks. Don't think that can be done with a large group as some would love, some would hate. We'd probably still just book our own tours.

Thanks for sharing your experience and gorgeous photos!

When I read your original post I sensed this was what you were wondering.  I couldn't agree more.  I posted the pics to give you an idea how crowded the tours were.  I really enjoyed them, but as you can see, there are a fair number of people on the tours.  But I never felt crowded.  They allowed us to snorkel anywhere within reasonable distance of the boats.  I also never felt that there was any "slowing down' by anyone.  I just headed into the water and snorkeled as I wished.  I would get away from the crowds except when interacting with the sharks or stingrays as they were attracted by the guides.  And the snorkeling was spectacular. For an included tour,  I felt they were excellent.   But if I was booking my own tours, I'd also look for smaller numbers like you suggest.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

When I read your original post I sensed this was what you were wondering.  I couldn't agree more.  I posted the pics to give you an idea how crowded the tours were.  I really enjoyed them, but as you can see, there are a fair number of people on the tours.  But I never felt crowded.  They allowed us to snorkel anywhere within reasonable distance of the boats.  I also never felt that there was any "slowing down' by anyone.  I just headed into the water and snorkeled as I wished.  I would get away from the crowds except when interacting with the sharks or stingrays as they were attracted by the guides.  And the snorkeling was spectacular. For an included tour,  I felt they were excellent.   But if I was booking my own tours, I'd also look for smaller numbers like you suggest.  

Thanks Papa. We always try to get tours that include 6-8 snorkel stops which means 15-20 minutes here and there, longer if something special appears, like an unusual shark or a whale. If it would be someone's first time snorkeling they may be timid and unfortunately slow things down. And deep water as opposed to chest deep water scares some people. As you see we just get more out of our time with smaller groups. But I love your pics- can see why you were having such a great time! Thanks again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Papaflamingo...just one last thing. Know I'd love cruising with you one of these days!

• Like 1

Sounds to me as if you should stay with Windstar.  There are no snorkel excursions that I am aware of that Regent offers that will meet your requirements.  However, it sounds as if you are willing to pay more money for Regent and pay for private excursions.  Obviously that is your choice.  

I could also show you amazing photos of Tahiti - taken from 1982 - 2004 - snorkeling, etc.  However, as nice as the photos are, what you need to see is what Regent snorkel excursions look like which papaflamingo posted in post #10.  There is quite a difference between those photos and the ones posted by another person.

Not trying to be negative but am trying to be honest.  If you think about it, the private snorkel excursions depicted in the photos suggests that one needs to book an excursion privately.  If Regent snorkeling excursions were good, no one would bother with private excursions.

The one Regent excursion that we liked in Tahiti was swimming with sharks and rays (in their natural environment - not in captivity).  Although we enjoyed every moment, we were with at least 20 other Regent passengers.

In general, Regent excursions have about 25 people on each bus and sometimes there are six buses going to the same destination.  Just something to consider. 

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

Travelcat,

We had a long talk this morning. We're doing another 17 day Windstar FP this fall so we're fixed. We can do our own thing.Take a boat out ourselves and go with the small group vendors we've already been out with several times before. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Travelcat,

We had a long talk this morning. We're doing another 17 day Windstar FP this fall so we're fixed. We can do our own thing.Take a boat out ourselves and go with the small group vendors we've already been out with several times before. Thanks for your input.

Have a great cruise!

On 4/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, Petoonya said:

Papaflamingo...just one last thing. Know I'd love cruising with you one of these days!

June 15, 2020,  Seven Seas Navigator, New York to Dublin. Would love to have you join us.  Won't be much snorkeling, but I bet the scenery will be spectacular. 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

June 15, 2020,  Seven Seas Navigator, New York to Dublin. Would love to have you join us.  Won't be much snorkeling, but I bet the scenery will be spectacular. 😎

Papaflamingo......what an itinerary! You know how to pick them.

I'd just love to cruise someday with you- can tell what a caring, kind, fun-loving papa you are. This one is so out of our league-we are 'scrape the bottom of the IRA' type cruisers, always looking for a deal.

Looks like a dream cruise and I'll keep dreaming that we could join you and your lovely wife! Thanks for all your kindness.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, papaflamingo said:

papa - you don't want to snorkel the mouth of the mighty Sniffey, er Liffey?  Imagine what you could find...

• Haha 1