Dissection of a Medallion doodad thingy

fishin' musician

OP,  your efforts really are interesting!

I wonder how does the cost of producing such a device--that becomes a "throwaway" after a cruise--compare with the cost of producing a now old fashioned cruise card?

(And, let's not forget the cost of retrofitting a ship's wiring to accommodate this device.)

• Like 3

After all the hype and months of back and forth with the Navigator Team, (who got the darn thing working!!)/ the only benefit was the easy embarkation at the pier, and automatic opening of our cabin.  sure you could use it to make on board purchases, but that's what the card was used for.  So, IMHO, no biggie!  Loved to see all the fellow cruises wearing their Medallions; sort of like a "badge of courage".

• Like 1

Thanks for breaking your OM open for all of us to see.   

The cost of the OM and installation is insignificant when compared with the benefits both the pax and Princess receive from its implementation.  We had it on our November cruise and did enjoy it.  I kept my OM in my pocket while DW used the lanyard.  It was nice not having to unlock the cabin door and when leaving and returning to the ship at port stops.  They had not yet started the ordering of drinks from your seat so I am anxious to see how that works.  The new satellite internet service is as good as I get at home on my fiber connection.   

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I kept my OM in my pocket while DW used the lanyard.  It was nice not having to unlock the cabin door and when leaving and returning to the ship at port stops.  

Pardon this skeptical response if it offends, but I don't see a significant, cost-effective reason for Princess to implement this technology.  The amount of time and effort for you that was saved to utilize the Medallion for the purposes you described was what?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Pardon this skeptical response if it offends, but I don't see a significant, cost-effective reason for Princess to implement this technology.  The amount of time and effort for you that was saved to utilize the Medallion for the purposes you described was what?

One of the biggest benefits we appreciated about the Medallion experience is that it does a wide variety of things a card cannot do.  However, what we really loved most about the Medallion program is the upgraded internet experience which is much faster then on non Medallion ships and it saved us a lot of time, money and frustration. People might be over simplifying the program IMHO but it is not going away anytime soon.

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The OM program and the updated internet are similar but there are ships that have the faster internet and do not yet have the OM.   If the ship has OM then it has the faster internet while some ships do not have OM (yet) but have the faster internet installed.

The OM allows Princess to populate their database and perform database mining which will impact their present and future plans.  If they can find out the locations and time where there is significant congestion, they can then take steps to alleviate the bottleneck.  Princess can better determine which activities and products are used the most and eliminate those that are not all that successful.  Using data mining they can take positive steps to increase their product appeal thereby generating more revenue for Princess.  In this world today companies that do not provide the best experience and services will be at the mercy of the market place.  Like it or not database mining is happening today and one very popular company (Amazon) is quite expert in this area.  On the cruising front, Disney has it down while the rest of the industry is trying to catch up. 

• Like 5

Did you do an "ifixit breakdown" on how much each one costs based on the parts?

Sorry - I read these things all the time where they figure out how much each component costs the manufacturer :)

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

One of the biggest benefits we appreciated about the Medallion experience is that it does a wide variety of things a card cannot do.  However, what we really loved most about the Medallion program is the upgraded internet experience which is much faster then on non Medallion ships and it saved us a lot of time, money and frustration. People might be over simplifying the program IMHO but it is not going away anytime soon.

Recently on the Ruby.

No Medallion thingy.

Did have the reader panels at cabin door ... touch cruise card to unlock door ... mostly worked, sometimes not so much.

Enjoyed the amazing MedallionNet ... so, as this program crawls thru the fleet, some ships do have MedallionNet but not the thingy

Thank you for determining the device is magnetic.   I have a pacemaker and was worried about that because it means that I will have to keep it a great distanced from where my pacemaker is.

I couldn't get a straight answer from Princess techie's regarding that.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, rkacruiser said:

OP,  your efforts really are interesting!

I wonder how does the cost of producing such a device--that becomes a "throwaway" after a cruise--compare with the cost of producing a now old fashioned cruise card?

(And, let's not forget the cost of retrofitting a ship's wiring to accommodate this device.)

10 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Thank you for determining the device is magnetic.   I have a pacemaker and was worried about that because it means that I will have to keep it a great distanced from where my pacemaker is.

So we will also have to keep the medallion away from any of our charge cards so it doesn't de-magnetize them.

Do they warn you about that?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I had posted about being told that there was a magnet in the OM on another thread back in Jan.  I was told at check in on our Regal cruise.  I refused the OM and got a cruise card because of the magnet.

Do you know how far a distance you have to be away from the magnet to be safe for your pacemaker?  What about sitting next to a person who is wearing one, will that effect your pace maker?

I know there are magnet fields all around us.  Electric wires, for one.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1