20 year old and drinking

lizi116

Corporate policy of individual cruise lines. Look at the cruise contract of what ever line your looking at. On Princess, the under age pax gets cruise card of different color.

What cruise line are you travelling with? Some cruise lines allows adults under The US legal drinking age to consume alcohol with a parental Waiver.

It is illegal to drink below 21 while in US port, not while in international water's. The drinking age is at the descretion of cruise line.

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Even if they're NOT allowed to drink, they can usually be in the clubs until a certain time....

23 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

18 years and up are absolutely not allowed in the teen clubs.

Not that i liketo agree with CB, but I am pretty sure they were talking about the night club's which are 18 and over.  While they can get in they cannot purchase alcoholic drinks until 21 on US based sailings.

Agree, teen clubs are very strict, no one over 17 allowed, however that age is determined as of the first day of the cruise.  My son turned 18 during a cruise and was considered a teen the entire voyage.  Therefore he could go to the teen club but not night club.  If we/he wanted we could switch mid cruise but then he woudnot be allowed in teen club but would be in the night club.

Edited by akcruz
X

33 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Not that i liketo agree with CB, but I am pretty sure they were talking about the night club's which are 18 and over.  While they can get in they cannot purchase alcoholic drinks until 21 on US based sailings.

Agree, teen clubs are very strict, no one over 17 allowed, however that age is determined as of the first day of the cruise.  My son turned 18 during a cruise and was considered a teen the entire voyage.  Therefore he could go to the teen club but not night club.  If we/he wanted we could switch mid cruise but then he woudnot be allowed in teen club but would be in the night club.

That makes sense! I thought the age restrictions for the night clubs were 18 + at certain hours (but with drinking restricted to 21+ Unless on a line with a waiver).

38 minutes ago, akcruz said:

however that age is determined as of the first day of the cruise.  My son turned 18 during a cruise and was considered a teen the entire voyage. 

That's not how it works on DCL.

A 17 year old can participate in the teen club until they turn 18 (while on a cruise).  Then they cannot.  But they can then "hang out" in the adult clubs and areas.

24 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

That's not how it works on DCL.

A 17 year old can participate in the teen club until they turn 18 (while on a cruise).  Then they cannot.  But they can then "hang out" in the adult clubs and areas.

Our experience was on Royal so I guess each line does it different.  He was definitely allowed in the teen club for the entire voyage even though he turned 18 a few days in.

52 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Our experience was on Royal so I guess each line does it different.  He was definitely allowed in the teen club for the entire voyage even though he turned 18 a few days in.

That is because he was 17 at the time of sailing, which is the criteria used - age at time of embarkation / departure.

14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is because he was 17 at the time of sailing, which is the criteria used - age at time of embarkation / departure.

Which is what I originally stated and Shmoo commented it didn't work that way on Disney.  I added my experience was on Royal and that each line seemed to handle things differently.  Bottom line ask the question on the line you are looking at to see what their rules are.

7 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Which is what I originally stated and Shmoo commented it didn't work that way on Disney.  I added my experience was on Royal and that each line seemed to handle things differently.  Bottom line ask the question on the line you are looking at to see what their rules are.

Sorry and thanks for pointing that out - I didn't read deeply enough into all the comments.  But, as you experienced, that is the policy with RCI - and it certainly may differ with each line as you suggest.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It should be noted that if an adult buys a 20 yr old an alcoholic drink on a ship with a minimum 21 age, that adult can be put off the cruise or face other penalties.

The OP can drink in any Caribbean port if they can see over the bar and has money in their hand.  Just not on the ship.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, klfrodo said:

If sailing from a US port, the answer is no. A 20YO cannot (legally) consume alcohol on the ship.

Can they go to the club? Maybe. Depends on the cruise line and ship policy

True for most lines (particularly mass-market lines targeting American passengers) but not universally so. Cunard serves 18 year olds outside of US waters even on itineraries departing from the US. 

However, I wouldnt recommend Cunard for an 18-20 year old who just wants to drink onboard. 

13 hours ago, evandbob said:

It should be noted that if an adult buys a 20 yr old an alcoholic drink on a ship with a minimum 21 age, that adult can be put off the cruise or face other penalties.

The OP can drink in any Caribbean port if they can see over the bar and has money in their hand.  Just not on the ship.

and the height requirement is never enforced.  I do have a cousin who is  literally too short to see over the bar.   she has no problems buying in port

17 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Marella allow 18+ to drink on board regardless of port I think.

I have a feeling Costa and MSC and other European/Brit lines allow it when sailing from non US ports.

But the OP asked about NCL sailing from a US port.

Submitted by jdusvitch on Mon, 2011-04-11 12:24
Question: 
What is the alcohol and beverage policy?
Display
Display Question: 
Display Question on ncl.com/faq

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

https://www.ncl.com/faq%23alcohol-consumption?cid=PS_TSI_GENERIC_GEN_GOO-g_LEN_SRH_NA__aud-452623780948:dsa-19959388920&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-az0NPZ4QIVQ1cNCh31TAJhEAAYASAAEgITevD_BwE

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

But the OP asked about NCL sailing from a US port.

Yup, but if they want to drink om a ship then they should come over here. 🙂

It wouldn't be the first time we have seen 18-20 year old Americans over here enjoying the European drinking laws.