Aft suite on Princess Island Princes for Panama canal

hctraveler

the Panama Canal is only one day of the cruise, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.  However, when transiting the canal, you do not want to stay on your balcony.  You will miss 2/3 of what is going on if you do.  You will want to be topside, forward, or on the promenade deck.  Keep moving around.  views are all around.  EM

16 minutes ago, hctraveler said:

I understand the full transit may be better.  my question was about an aft (rear of ship) suite.

Essiesmom hit the nail on the head, and gave you great advice. Even for a partial transit. 

In general, a suite (aft or not) is a good thing on any cruise.

In general a suite is good anytime, the one down side to an aft suite if you are going to spend a large amount of time there during the transit... all the commentary is presented with a forward perspective.  What you are seeing and what is being described won't by in sync.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 1:22 PM, hctraveler said:
  1. Wondering how good an idea it is to book an aft cabin on the Island Princess for a Panama canal cruise.

Wouldn't be my choice.

On all transits on Island/Coral, I spent most of them on 1 of the 2 fwd decks below the Bridge. Best location on the ship to watch the Canal ops and for photographs.

On one trip we had an aft balcony on Coral, checked it out quickly and then went straight back to my usual spot.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, hctraveler said:
  1. Wondering how good an idea it is to book an aft cabin on the Island Princess for a Panama canal cruise.

How about choosing one of the suites that are not directly aft and instead have a wrap around balcony so that you can see both aft and off one of the sides?    We have done the full transit before in a regular balcony on Coral Princess.  It was mid-ship on a 'pop out'.  Loved our location there and occasionally we'd go above deck and see what was ahead of the ship, or get something to eat, etc.  But we spent the majority of time on our balcony.  Your TV will have a view of what's going on in the front of the ship too.

We do have another partial transit booked on the Island Princess in a Vista Suite.  It has a port side view and the balcony wraps around so we can also look behind us---two views.  This is just my opinion and yes, we have already done a full transit so keep that in mind.  Either way...have a great time!!