Nice to Paris

aloha123

I was in there last week. This is not the first church that had a fire and it was always rebuilt. I hope this time with a better roof. Be very happy younsaw the one from the 1800,s. They were working on the roof last week,

• Like 1

This morning’s news gives the estimated time frame for Notre-Dame’s reopening at approx. 6 years. I was very relieved to see that the Rose Window survived the fire, as did the towers and facade - IMO, these are its most iconic features - but the loss of the ‘flèche’ is significant.

Not as well frequented as Notre-Dame and Sacré-Coeur, the Sainte-Chapelle is really worth a stop, with some of the most beautiful stained glass windows that I have ever seen. It’s just a few minutes’ walk from Notre-Dame, but there is a line-up to go through a security check-point (it’s inside the courts complex, if I recall correctly.)

Edited by snowglobe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree that Sainte-Chapelle is a a wonderful jewel box of stained glass, originally built to house the Crown of Thorns, but it is small.  We were there in early December and it was very busy even then.  

We were lucky enough to go inside Notre Dame which I hadn't done for 40 years. Very splendid and the gothic roof was wonderful but sadly they are now saying they have not only lost much of the original oak roof but also some of the wonderful stone arches.They say that rebuilding the Spire (which was part of the 19th century restoration)  will be a priority.

• Like 2

We did that in a November.  Our cruise disembarked in Monaco. Flew from Nice to Paris. We went to Paris.  After researching various ways to get from Nice to a Paris, we flew on Air France from Nice to Orly.  Air France flies hourly from a Nice to Paris alternating between Charles DeGaulle and Orly airports.  Flight is about an hour.  It was easy and cheap.