Eating while getting food in the buffet 😖

bogeycruiser

Sorry folks but I’m going to vent.

Last Monday I disembarked the Eclipse after a 29 day B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego. We had a wonderful time, the crew is fantastic and the ship is in great condition but every time I went to the Oceanview Cafe I’d see numerous people eating while they were in line for food. Eating in the buffet line is the first cousin of double dipping and it isn’t sanitary, people eating greasy bacon then picking up the tongs to get hash browns or sadly not using the tongs. Constantly people were walking from one station to another while eating from their plate and then there was the man ahead of me getting chicken wings one day during lunch who finished devouring one of his 15 or 20 wings, set the bone on the side of his plate and with the same hand picked up the tongs to add another 6 or 7 wings.

Most days in the Celebrity Today newsletter they mention the importance of hand washing and staying healthy onboard, it’d be nice if they would mention the basic buffet etiquette of not eating until getting to your table.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, don't agree. If I pick up a piece of bacon, or a breadstick, or whatever and eat it, without ever touching my mouth with my fingers. what's it to you besides an apparent annoyance?  I always use tongs. If my fingers have a touch of grease on them which is doubtful, it may be annoying but it is no less clean or healthy and nothing at all like double dipping. No bodily fluids involved so where and how are the germs transferred?? 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sorry, don't agree. If I pick up a piece of bacon, or a breadstick, or whatever and eat it, without ever touching my mouth with my fingers. what's it to you besides an apparent annoyance?  I always use tongs. If my fingers have a touch of grease on them which is doubtful, it may be annoying but it is no less clean or healthy and nothing at all like double dipping. No bodily fluids involved so where and how are the germs transferred?? 

Omg. 

Pass the popcorn.

Edited by Jammu2
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I can’t stand people like you in the buffet. Go sit down and eat your food. I bet you’re a finger licker while in line as well ......

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

I guess that want to taste it before they load their plate up with more.  It doesn’t bother  me unless the use  the spoon to taste it.    

There are many passengers that feel they can do what they want and don’t follow basic hygiene.  The lavatories are one example on how many don’t wash their hands before leaving.  

Nothing will change as some are just what they are.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bogeycruiser said:

Sorry folks but I’m going to vent.

Last Monday I disembarked the Eclipse after a 29 day B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego. We had a wonderful time, the crew is fantastic and the ship is in great condition but every time I went to the Oceanview Cafe I’d see numerous people eating while they were in line for food. Eating in the buffet line is the first cousin of double dipping and it isn’t sanitary, people eating greasy bacon then picking up the tongs to get hash browns or sadly not using the tongs. Constantly people were walking from one station to another while eating from their plate and then there was the man ahead of me getting chicken wings one day during lunch who finished devouring one of his 15 or 20 wings, set the bone on the side of his plate and with the same hand picked up the tongs to add another 6 or 7 wings.

Most days in the Celebrity Today newsletter they mention the importance of hand washing and staying healthy onboard, it’d be nice if they would mention the basic buffet etiquette of not eating until getting to your table.

I agree it doesn't look good but I don't understand how it is less sanitary than eating at the table and then going for seconds.  If I lick my finders while eating at the table and then go for seconds, it seems like the same thing to me.    I tend to go early to minimize this type of exposure and I tend to stick to items that are served to me from behind the counter.

• Like 3

Anyone that is foolish enough to put their fingers in their mouth gets what they deserve and are also the culprits that spread norovirus. People are just clueless and go about their merry way with their nasty habits and then wonder why they have diarrhea and are throwing up. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to guess that you were on the same cruise?

To the OP, I agree that is over the top gross

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 10

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I can’t stand people like you in the buffet. Go sit down and eat your food. I bet you’re a finger licker while in line as well ......

And I can't stand such judgemental people on Cruise Critic.  I would never ever lick my fingers, in line or elsewhere. But if I'm in a long buffet line and I pick up a potato chip and eat it, no one else is affected or harmed. Some people need to calm down and let others be when it doesn't affect them. 

• Like 3

It would never have occurred to me that folk would eat in line - or taste in line.  Whether it increases the risk of disease transmission or not (and folk probably do more horrible things that we don't see...) it just isn't polite.    As FM says - manners maketh man.....

• Like 16

I agree with the OP and GastroGnome.  Eating while you're still in line is just rude.  It may not be unsanitary, but it's very poor manners nonetheless.  If you're that hungry, why don't you just grab a few items, go sit down to eat, and come back for more food later?

• Like 15

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I can’t stand people like you in the buffet. Go sit down and eat your food. 

Totally agree that eating whilst on the move is a disgusting habit and looks awful. Like one can't wait to eat something. I see it from time to time and it smacks of lack of manners. And I make no apology for being judgmental. 

Phil 

• Like 18

Just how hungry can you get between meals to need to snack on the way to a table?

In addition to a possible hygiene risk and poor manners if people are eating on the move there is a greater risk of food on the floor creating a slip hazard...Many of us who cruise may not see ourselves as disabled but we are not as sprite as we once were and a small slip can have serious consequences.

• Like 7

We sail Eclipse Wednesday, I sure hope this doesn't repeat.  We use the hand sanitizer upon entering the buffet, and AFTER grabbing our food.  Everyone touches those tongues, some of whom didn't wash after going to the restroom.

Still, these stories can't hold a candle to our 14 nights on the Carnival Pride.  It's always pleasant to be directly coughed or sneezed on in the buffet.  Our friend was handed a phone in the buffet to look at a recent port picture, while the guy ran a snot trail down his arm.  My wife saw a woman sneeze into her hand, and then bypass the tongues, and grab jello with her hands.  The Carnival employee just shook his head, and laughed, letting the jello stand.  Needless to say, everyone got sick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Totally agree that eating whilst on the move is a disgusting habit and looks awful. Like one can't wait to eat something. I see it from time to time and it smacks of lack of manners. And I make no apology for being judgmental. 

Phil 

Disgusting and unsanitary are appropriate here and not at all judgmental.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

By people like you that think germs are only transmitted via bodily fluids.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 2

It's for all of the above reasons that we avoid the buffet and eat our breakfast everyday either on our balcony from room service or in the MDR.  Lunch the same...you don't need to dress up for lunch in the MDR, a pair of shorts and a t-shirt are fine and you don't have to worry about everyone else touching your food.  Also, if we need to eat from the buffet we use a napkin to handle the tongs and as stated by others use sanitizer before handling our utensils.  Had Noro once and never want to experience that on holiday again!!  Live and learn!!

• Like 1