Main Dining Room Attire

ScottC4746

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No jacket and tie required on HAL anymore - even on Gala night - smart casual, collared short and trousers, no jeans.

As much of a fuddy duddy I can be sometimes I like this concept.  No stress no worries just dress nice.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

As much of a fuddy duddy I can be sometimes I like this concept.  No stress no worries just dress nice.

Thanks, I am happy with it but the 'boss like to overdress a bit, she thinks she is going back on QM2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Thanks, I am happy with it but the 'boss like to overdress a bit, she thinks she is going back on QM2.

That used to be me.  Both my DH and I wore suits to the Gala Night and I dare say we stuck out.

This isn't the Titanic for dinner anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

That used to be me.  Both my DH and I wore suits to the Gala Night and I dare say we stuck out.

This isn't the Titanic for dinner anymore.

Many of the Cunarders think they are on Titanic, believe me.  OTT.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Just off the Eurodam and saw business casual every night in the main dining room.  One or two t-shirts.  I think 1 or 2 tuxes.  The main point was people were enjoying the cruise.

T-shirts?  :classic_blink:

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Many of the Cunarders think they are on Titanic, believe me.  OTT.

Cunard publishes a dress code and most passengers follow it.  On my many voyages aboard the Queen Mary 2 I have seen only two gents wearing white tie and tails. Other than that I have seen nothing OTT.

• Like 3

We ALWAYS dress for dinner.   Jacket and tie, tux or dinner jacket, on the odd occasion (usually first night and last night) a polo shirt, but ALWAYS a jacket.   My friend John, whom we met on our TransPacific crossing, commented we were making others look bad.  I replied "No, I was just making myself look GOOD". LOL...  They're just cloths people, dress to impress yourself.  If you like to get dressed up, go for it.  If not, don't be offended when the crew compliments those that do (happens often), or you don't feel right because you CHOSE not to.  You too can CHOOSE to dress appropriately, or not, regardless of the "policy".  I am old school though, but also know more formal attire is just that, clothing.  I still have fun whether I am in a jacket and tie or a t-shirt and jeans.

IMG_1540.JPG

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, OhioLair said:

We ALWAYS dress for dinner.   Jacket and tie, tux or dinner jacket, on the odd occasion (usually first night and last night) a polo shirt, but ALWAYS a jacket.   My friend John, whom we met on our TransPacific crossing, commented we were making others look bad.  I replied "No, I was just making myself look GOOD". LOL...  They're just cloths people, dress to impress yourself.  If you like to get dressed up, go for it.  If not, don't be offended when the crew compliments those that do (happens often), or you don't feel right because you CHOSE not to.  You too can CHOOSE to dress appropriately, or not, regardless of the "policy".  I am old school though, but also know more formal attire is just that, clothing.  I still have fun whether I am in a jacket and tie or a t-shirt and jeans.

IMG_1540.JPG

Looking great!  Men in dinner jackets or tux look fabulous.  My hubby wears his on occasion and I love it 😍  I dress up for him and don't care if others want to wear casual. 

• Like 3

The older I get the more comfortable I like to be. 😉 If I have to "dress up" for an occasion, I am uncomfortable and when I get home I run and get my jimjams on and take those hideous shoes OFF.

I admire and enjoy when  other people dress up, they look wonderful but alas I am a recent widow and capris and and very a nice top is my go to attire....dressy casual, which sounds like an oxymoron IMO.😳

I do have nice hair though LOL.😜

• Like 6

I think that it is great that people feel that they can dress to the standard they wish.   This is the way it should be.

We cannot imagine dragging all that gear thousands of miles just for a few hours on two or three nights.  

These differences are what make life so interesting.  It would be a boring old world if every dressed and acted in the same manner.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

On 4/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Judyrem said:

The older I get the more comfortable I like to be. 😉 If I have to "dress up" for an occasion, I am uncomfortable and when I get home I run and get my jimjams on and take those hideous shoes OFF.

I admire and enjoy when  other people dress up, they look wonderful but alas I am a recent widow and capris and and very a nice top is my go to attire....dressy casual, which sounds like an oxymoron IMO.😳

I do have nice hair though LOL.😜

Part of my problem is I am a member of the Elks Lodge so we are often in tuxes, when an officer which I currently am not, you have to wear a tux once a month during your term plus district special events.  With that I am tuxed out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Himself said:

Why do so many have a problem with dressing up?

Not very comfortable, and at my age comfort is paramount.

I don't wear flip flops and t shirts, I look very nice in Chico's clothes and that's all that matters.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Himself said:

Why do so many have a problem with dressing up?

32 minutes ago, iancal said:

I guess that it really depends on your definition of dressing up.  

"Dressing up" is for kids and clowns.

"Dressing properly" is for adults.  😉

• Like 6

On 4/15/2019 at 6:09 PM, iancal said:

I think that it is great that people feel that they can dress to the standard they wish.   This is the way it should be.

We cannot imagine dragging all that gear thousands of miles just for a few hours on two or three nights.  

I have never cared what others wear as long as they are clean and groomed. My personal main objection is the same.  Suits are heavy and bulky and gowns are uni-functional.    

• Like 1