Main Dining Room Attire

ScottC4746

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have never cared what others wear as long as they are clean and groomed. My personal main objection is the same.  Suits are heavy and bulky and gowns are uni-functional.    

I never found packing or wearing evening clothes to be a challenge, but I have never had an ambition to travel carry-on only. There are plenty of lightweight easy-to-pack suits and gowns. DH's tux was a lightweight wool that didn't wrinkle. My gowns aren't full or fussy, so they pack well, too. Of course, HAL doesn't require that level of dress. We saved the tux and gowns for Cunard. 

What do you mean by uni-functional?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I never found packing or wearing evening clothes to be a challenge, but I have never had an ambition to travel carry-on only. There are plenty of lightweight easy-to-pack suits and gowns. DH's tux was a lightweight wool that didn't wrinkle. My gowns aren't full or fussy, so they pack well, too. Of course, HAL doesn't require that level of dress. We saved the tux and gowns for Cunard. 

Tuxes and gowns are uni-functional - only worn for a formal occasion.  That's what I would imagine for the definition.   You wouldn't wear your tux or gown at lunch, at a non-gala dinner, at the pool, on an excursion, on the beach or on a walking tour of a village.  You would only wear it for a couple of hours one, maybe two nights on a typical length cruise.  

I've taken a dress appropriate for a formal night in my carryon, so it isn't the ambition to carry on not take formal stuff - I just don't feel the need/desire to play dress up that much 😉

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They are only used for the dining room.  They aren't really useful to mix and match.  My goal also is less luggage.  On the last cruise we still had a 26 and a 28 inch case with two small backpacks.  Next cruise I want to bring on 26 inch case and two normal carry ons.  His coat is bulky. 

• Like 1

I suspect that the number of mass market, premium, and luxury cruise lines that  have either never required or no longer require jacket and tie on forma/galal nights,  is a fairly good indicator of current demand and where they feel the customer demand is going in the future.    The market ultimately decides these things.

The don't make cars like they used to (fortunately).   AIr fares and cruise fares are not what they used to be either.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Just off the Eurodam and saw business casual every night in the main dining room.  One or two t-shirts.  I think 1 or 2 tuxes.  The main point was people were enjoying the cruise.

Yep...same aboard the Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago.  One guy had cap on every night he was there.  Other than THAT, everyone I saw was dressed in perfect accordance to suggested dress.  Honestly folks weren't dressed quite as casually as I THOUGHT they would be.

Just now, chill6x6 said:

Yep...same aboard the Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago.  One guy had cap on every night he was there.  Other than THAT, everyone I saw was dressed in perfect accordance to suggested dress.  Honestly folks weren't dressed quite as casually as I THOUGHT they would be.

Same with mine.  With the threads the way they were talking I was expecting McDonald's attire at night.  I'm sure the 1 - 3 night cruises you might.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Same with mine.  With the threads the way they were talking I was expecting McDonald's attire at night.  I'm sure the 1 - 3 night cruises you might.

Some of the people who post here think that people who don't "dress up" to their standards are nothing more than lazy slobs, regardless of what they are wearing within the suggested guidelines... I keep asking for photos of the "slobs", but for some reason, they never find their way to these threads.   😉

• Like 1

Honestly, many of the people who wear formal wear look awful in it because a lot of what I've seen is very dated.  Gowns from 30 years ago, complete with 80s-style shoulder pads, often accompanied by makeup and hairstyles to match .  Ladies, it's not retro if you owned it the first time around.  Tuxes from  20 years + 10 sizes ago straining at the seams, a violent cough away from putting an eye out with a projectile button...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Honestly, many of the people who wear formal wear look awful in it because a lot of what I've seen is very dated.  Gowns from 30 years ago, complete with 80s-style shoulder pads, often accompanied by makeup and hairstyles to match .  Ladies, it's not retro if you owned it the first time around.  Tuxes from  20 years + 10 sizes ago straining at the seams, a violent cough away from putting an eye out with a projectile button...

We did have one gentleman on our cruise whose tux shirt had the big poofy ruffles on it like he was on the Love Boat in the 1970's.  They didn't look good then and they don't look good now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

I think the point of formal night was not to achieve a high level of fashion.  Ideally, I think it was simply to show that one appreciates certain occasions as distinct from the routine, and that one shares a sort of respect for a custom, along with others, even though they are strangers.  No doubt, some wanted to show off, and some would fear being attired in clothes that were out of fashion.  Motivations are bound to vary.  Formal dress these days, however, can, ironically, be more egalitarian than “casual” clothing which for many requires a great deal of attention and expense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I think the point of formal night was not to achieve a high level of fashion.  Ideally, I think it was simply to show that one appreciates certain occasions as distinct from the routine, and that one shares a sort of respect for a custom, along with others, even though they are strangers.  No doubt, some wanted to show off, and some would fear being attired in clothes that were out of fashion.  Motivations are bound to vary.  Formal dress these days, however, can, ironically, be more egalitarian than “casual” clothing which for many requires a great deal of attention and expense.

To me, someone with an ill-fitting tuxedo or an obviously outdated dress is just as "sloppy" on gala night as someone in jeans and a T-shirt.   Respect for the custom would dictate that what you are wearing fits appropriately for your body type.  

The couples who show up on Gala night who look like they were extras on the Saturday Night Fever dance sequences do give me a little smile  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Some of the people who post here think that people who don't "dress up" to their standards are nothing more than lazy slobs, regardless of what they are wearing within the suggested guidelines... I keep asking for photos of the "slobs", but for some reason, they never find their way to these threads.   😉

There are no photos of the “slobs” because guests who dress properly are waaaay to polite to take photos of those who don’t. Can’t imagine  that you would even suggest that those photos be taken. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ithaca gal said:

There are no photos of the “slobs” because guests who dress properly are waaaay to polite to take photos of those who don’t. Can’t imagine  that you would even suggest that those photos be taken. 

The term "slobs" is just as subjective as the claim of terrible food in the MDR and subject to the persons making the claims personal definitions. There are many in CC who still think wearing nice jeans and a golf shirt in the MDR makes one a slob while both are 100% allowed by the HAL suggested dress code. I would love to see any pictures posted of what those here see in the MDR that they define as slob dress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Apparently, some have no issue taking photos of people in their robes and posting them and saying it is inappropriate.  Why is that different from taking a photo of someone in the MDR?  A little hypocritical...

I've never seen a slob in the MDR.  I wonder just high up in the air the nose is of those people who say they see slobs in the MDR.     These people aren't polite enough to not say people who don't dress up to their artificial standards are slobs...  Pot, meet kettle.

Edited by slidergirl

17 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Apparently, some have no issue taking photos of people in their robes and posting them and saying it is inappropriate.  Why is that different from taking a photo of someone in the MDR?  A little hypocritical...

I've never seen a slob in the MDR.  I wonder just high up in the air the nose is of those people who say they see slobs in the MDR.     These people aren't polite enough to not say people who don't dress up to their artificial standards are slobs...  Pot, meet kettle.

No, it is not our artificial standards ..... it’s just sad when they can’t even follow the minimum HAL guidelines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

The term "slobs" is just as subjective as the claim of terrible food in the MDR and subject to the persons making the claims personal definitions. There are many in CC who still think wearing nice jeans and a golf shirt in the MDR makes one a slob while both are 100% allowed by the HAL suggested dress code. I would love to see any pictures posted of what those here see in the MDR that they define as slob dress.

For the record, I’ve never called anyone in the MDR a slob. If I thought they dressed like one I still wouldn’t do anything as rude as take a photo. Why waste my time?

35 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

The main point of my original post was "The main point was people were enjoying the cruise."  I didn't expect it to blow up.  Sorry about that.

It is definitely a popcorn thread now...... speaking of which WTH is with the popcorn on HAL?  Why can't we have popcorn all day long.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is definitely a popcorn thread now...... speaking of which WTH is with the popcorn on HAL?  Why can't we have popcorn all day long.  :classic_biggrin:

Popcorn thread?  I never saw popcorn on board Eurodam.  Where is the popcorn?

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

Popcorn thread?  I never saw popcorn on board Eurodam.  Where is the popcorn?

That's just it.  Right before a movie screening they put out about 20 bags of popcorn, when they are gone, they are gone.  No leniency.  They will serve you all the filet mignon you want but you have to run to the theater/outdoor screen to get the small bag of popcorn.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That's just it.  Right before a movie screening they put out about 20 bags of popcorn, when they are gone, they are gone.  No leniency.  They will serve you all the filet mignon you want but you have to run to the theater/outdoor screen to get the small bag of popcorn.  

Meanwhile, those of us who have been sitting there waiting for the movie to start, have to rush to get our bag of popcorn for the movie before they're all taken by non movie-goers. 🤣

I agree, wish it was available other times. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Ah never went to the movies.  Now I know.

1 hour ago, ithaca gal said:

No, it is not our artificial standards ..... it’s just sad when they can’t even follow the minimum HAL guidelines. 

Sorry, but I don't agree that it's not an artificial standard. Reading through the all-too-many dress threads, there are frequent disparaging posts made about passengers who meet HAL's dress code but are nevertheless denigrated. Those posting such remarks can only using artificial standards, as they aren't using HAL's.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

To me, someone with an ill-fitting tuxedo or an obviously outdated dress is just as "sloppy" on gala night as someone in jeans and a T-shirt.   Respect for the custom would dictate that what you are wearing fits appropriately for your body type.  

The couples who show up on Gala night who look like they were extras on the Saturday Night Fever dance sequences do give me a little smile  😉

Haha, they are my wife’s  evening entertainment! You can not believe the horrific ties, tuxes ( white, green, red, we’ve seen them all) and other crimes against good taste on Formal night, and we love it! Moreover, some might think the same of us, it is just a fancy dress party really 🤪 or Halloween looking at some...🙃

• Haha 1