Viking Menus

sarclar

I've been on the Provence cruise but the only menu's you get a personal copy of are the 'Captains Gala' dinner and I've kept some of them.

Perhaps you could say what's behind the question?

There are different choices at all three meals, depending whther you eat in the main dining room or the lounge/Aquavit

Last year - I don't know if they are doing it this year - the evening meal in Aquavit was a set Italian meal 'Manfreddis'.

I don't know if the menus stay the same all season. I know the chef has some freedom to cook using ingredients in season and buys at markets along the way....r

I believe the Manfreddi's experiment was ended before the completion of last year's cruising season.

Somewhere in another thread, I believe a CC'er reported that on their cruise this spring, the Aquavit terrace was serving the same menu as the main dining room, with the terrace offering more tables-for-two.

Edited by sharkster77

Thanks @sharkster77

Mrs P enjoyed her meal at Manfreddis and they did go out of their way to cater for my unableness to eat cheese and I did enjoy the special wines but all-in-all I thought it was an import from ocean cruising we were better without.

I thought Manfredi's was still in place?  Or are you referring to it's removal specifically on France itineraries?

For the record, we enjoyed it quite a bit, but it is certainly a matter of preference.

Edited by VistaRio

2 hours ago, VistaRio said:

I thought Manfredi's was still in place?  Or are you referring to it's removal specifically on France itineraries?

For the record, we enjoyed it quite a bit, but it is certainly a matter of preference.

Last year, on some of the river ships, Viking experimented with an Italian menu served in the Aquavit Terrace and called it Manfredi's. It seems that the experiment has been discontinued. If it was in place on the Delling or the Rinda in the past, it was not in place at the start of this season. On our March 19 sailing, Aquavit Terrace was featuring a scaled down version of the MDR menu.

Nor was there a Captain's Gala Dinner with a souvenir menu.

However, there was a buffet night featuring Provencal specialties.  I am not a fan of buffet dinners to begin with and wish they would give up on this idea. The MDR is not a convenient venue for serving 200 buffet style, especially when everyone is seated at the same time. When you have allergies, meals are difficult enough; buffets are just impossible. (Buffet works at lunch because it is supplemented with full menu service and because arrival is staggered).

• Like 2