Aruba seems boring

DebInAntigua

We’re not scuba or snorkeling people nor do we find beaches exciting. Driving trikes around and getting sunburnt doesn’t appeal either.

We prefer cultural tours, architecture and unique food, museums, gardens, history, that sort of thing. All of the Aruba excursions look pretty boring to us. Should we just stay on the ship that day or are there other things to do?

I just emailed with the owners of The Butterfly Farm in Aruba. I'll copy what she said. (and I have never been there so I can't say from experience, but we will be visiting in a few months)

"The admission is $16 for adults, $8.50 for children age 4-16, and children under 3 are free. The admission includes a tour of the Farm, where you see the eggs, caterpillars, pupa and over 40 species of butterflies. The tour lasts about 25 minutes. We are open 7 days a week at 8:30am and the last tour of the day is 4pm..... An added bonus is the Bird Santuary directly behind us..."

We have two young children and therefore can't spend all day just at the beach. We have to find other things to do that will excite them just as much as ourselves. This place seems lovely and we are excited to visit. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

We’re not scuba or snorkeling people nor do we find beaches exciting. Driving trikes around and getting sunburnt doesn’t appeal either.

We prefer cultural tours, architecture and unique food, museums, gardens, history, that sort of thing. All of the Aruba excursions look pretty boring to us. Should we just stay on the ship that day or are there other things to do?

I sort of agree about Aruba being boring if you're not a beach person.  It can't hold a candle to where you live in terms of places with historical, cultural or architectural significance, but Antigua is a hard act to folllow.

One possible suggestion would be a visit to the California Lighthouse.

• Like 1

Check out Aruba Walking Tours. They take you around town to many cultural stops, including statues and museums. While you're downtown, stop by Cosecha and take a look at handcrafted items for sale. The tour will take you to Ft Zoutman, but you could go there on your own, if you'd rather. However, sometimes they are closed, but I'm sure that they are open on the narrated walking tour. I also love the Butterfly Farm, but it is small, and won't fill up your day.

• Like 1

You can also opt to take the $20.00pp bus tour (right outside the terminal door) it does go out to the lighthouse..approx 3 hours and you get to see the entire island...then a bit of walking around town and maybe lunch. Aruba is an easy place to spend a few hours...beautiful island ... I can't imagine feeling so bored I would rather stay on the ship..JMHO...Do whatever appeals to you.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 1:37 AM, Ashland said:

You can also opt to take the $20.00pp bus tour (right outside the terminal door) it does go out to the lighthouse..approx 3 hours and you get to see the entire island...then a bit of walking around town and maybe lunch. Aruba is an easy place to spend a few hours...beautiful island ... I can't imagine feeling so bored I would rather stay on the ship..JMHO...Do whatever appeals to you.

I agree with this. The landscape of Aruba combined with the Aruban people make the Island far from boring. 

• Like 2

There is an Archaeological Museum within walking distance of the port. It was closed when we were there two weeks ago for renovation, and I don't know when it is supposed to reopen. There is also Fort Zoutman within walking distance.

Check out: https://www.visitaruba.com/things-to-do/sightseeing/

and... https://www.visitaruba.com/things-to-do/sightseeing/museums/

We're not too much into beaches either, so we did a horseback riding tour in the morning and walked around Orajestad in the afternoon and evening.

I wouldn't stay on the ship! At the very least go out and explore on foot!

Scott

Edited by Scottbro
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I agree with this. The landscape of Aruba combined with the Aruban people make the Island far from boring. 

Been to Aruba 3 times over the last 33 years and 33 cruises and it's been my favorite island.  No hassles at all from the natives like on many of the Caribbean/Bahamas/Mexican stops.  There's got to be a reason why so many people prefer the Southern route to the Western and Eastern runs.  But of course, that's why there is vanilla, chocolate and coffee ice creams, not everyone likes the same flavor.

• Like 1

The bus trip is good if one likes buses!  We took the bus trip- stopped three times and

saw about 2/3 of the island.  Stopped at the Aloe Factory, the rock formations, and

the new natural bridge.  Saw many sites along the way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, cruiseapril said:

The bus trip is good if one likes buses!  We took the bus trip- stopped three times and

saw about 2/3 of the island.  Stopped at the Aloe Factory, the rock formations, and

the new natural bridge.  Saw many sites along the way.

Didn't it go to lighthouse?