What is there safe to do in Nassau in walking distance?

Bratbrey

Just back from from a Celebrity cruise.  Stopped at Nassau for the day.  We went to The Fish Fry (restaurant row 10 minutes from downtown) Specializing in Conch.  Always a stop for us.  Although there were Gov't warnings, we felt perfectly safe.  There was even a police station in the complex.  We took the #10 bus from downtown.  Approx. 15 minutes. Got off, had lunch walked around and returned on the bus again.  Crowds were always there.  I might not want to go at night but daytime was great.   Downtown is crowded and safe for shopping etc. Enjoy the experience.

We were in Nassau in September. The Queen's Staircase wasn't a bad walk at all. A couple blocks down from the staircase on the way back we found the local historical society. They ask for a donation but not pushy. The ladies there were super knowledgeable about local history and it didn't feel touristy. Tons of cool artifacts. We felt safe the whole time once we got past the people nagging about taxi tours. The museum is on the corner of Elisabeth and Shirley Streets.

• Like 1

Thank you Jennyp0208. I’m happy to have seen your feedback. We have a cruise in June and our plan is to walk around Nassau.  See the history and enjoy the area.  We love to see history of places. Will stop by the historical society for sure. 

We were just there 2 days ago.  BAY Street is right out front of the arrival area...VERY crowded.  But, about 5 blocks of all the same shops , with all the same stuff as other ports.  D.I., junk stores, etc.

But, you do need to be very situational-aware.

Been to Nassau many, many times. The downtown area is safe to walk around during the day. If shopping is your thing, head right when you leave the port and walk along the water, about 7-8 minutes until you come to the Straw Market. Typical Bahamian trinkets/souvenirs. All kinds of shopping along the waterfront and one street behind these shops, on Bay Street.

As someone else mentioned, if you enjoy fish and conch, The Fish Fry is an area along the water that has a bunch of booths set up that offer fresh fish. To get there, take the #10 bus, located at the corner of George St. & Bay St. (across from the ice cream parlor) not far from the Straw Market. The bus is $1.25. US cash accepted and exact change is needed.

Also, like others have said, the area is safe, but you do need to keep you "antenna up" and be aware of your surroundings.

BTW, great town you live in! 🙂

Edited by Doug910
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Have been to Nassau like other posters 15 or so times. Never felt unsafe.

Things to do from the port include the main shopping street; straw market (hot and humid and watch their pricing); Fish Fry area is also walkable and we enjoyed that alot!

We did our own walking tour (find information on the Internet with paths) and really enjoyed that. Again, never felt unsafe.

Crowds will depend on the number of ships in port. Before Dorian, every day there were 5 ships docked which reflects thousands of pax. I have seen the more recent port dockings and there are 3 ships there. Not sure why.

I know the island is asking for visitors to sustain their economy in those areas not impacted by Dorian.

• Like 1

Have been there a couple of times.  Last year walked over to the Pirate Republic Brewing Company, and had a good time.  Have walked up and down Bay Street and through the Straw Market many times with no problems.  A few years back we also walked over to Junkanoo Beach and had no problems (there's a police station right across the street).

• Like 2

CoW mAn-

Interesting you say that. I agree once you walk outside the terminal, so many taxi drivers are looking for fares. What we have tried is not to go the beach, Atlantis and their typical runs. We asked for a tour of the island. That took time and finally one driver offered a tour. He was great and I wish more drivers were open to drive pax around the island.

Once you leave the terminal, you also have some trying to sell items. We try to quickly exit this area onto the main streets and that ends. There are some nice shops depending on what pax are looking for. There are also many selling tourist items and those I do not need!

• Thanks 1

Safe walk and fun day- the last time my DH and I were in town, (and we are older....:classic_rolleyes:) we walked over to the Pirate Museum, which we loved, and ew visited a very beautiful church right across the street.  Then the skies opened up, the water was running over the curbs!  So we trekked around the corner, went to Starbuck, and then back to the ship- a very easy and enjoyable walk.  We had a great time.  Have fun in Nassau!.  Don't wear the fancy jewelry and keep your purse closed, but I would tell you that in any city.

• Like 1