The latest in chair hogging

flyers10

Oh dear.

You know, it's interesting, a colleague of mine who I normally think of as very polite, respectful of others, etc. just got back from her first cruise (on RCCL.)  I'd helped her some with the planning so was very pleased when she returned and told me what a great time she had.

Her only complaint? "The pool decks are really crowded and too small for the size of ship."  OK, yes, agree.

But, her solution? "It really wasn't a problem for us, we just got up early and put our things on a chair, went down to have breakfast, came back later etc... but those people coming out at 10am have nowhere to sit! You have to get up early and save a chair!" 

I almost passed out.

So, I think there are two basic lines of thought on this.  I am in the camp of "no chair hogging"- if I am going to leave for more than 20-30 m or so I just take my things so someone else can enjoy.  She falls into the camp, I guess, of "well, these are the rules of the game, so if I want to enjoy the cruise I have to play by this set of rules."  I don't agree, but I can understand where she is coming from.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flyers10 said:

Reserved seating by the pool on the Celebrity Equinox. Each chair has a name on it. Wow.

20190414_072919.jpg

Wow....What a nerve that takes the cake! 

Hope pool attendant removed them in the alloted time frame if no one sat there.

.....if not  call Hotel Director! No need to get into personal tiffs...just insist X staff do their job!

• Like 8

I get up early all year round to go to work and when on a cruise, apart from when we are on an excursion, I want to have some days when we can just get up when we wake up not with an alarm clock. Getting up at the crack of dawn to save a sun lounger really is not my idea of a holiday. We tend to have an aft cabin now and use it as our little private 'escape plan' on sea days when it is manic around the pools. We then tend to just use the pools for a nice swim before retreating back again where it is quiet.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

I surrender

If thats what it takes, i guess i have to join the hordes who save chairs.

I detest chair hogs, but I'm getting to that point too.  It almost seems like more peeps are hogs than those who are not.  As long as the chair police do not enforce the rules consistently, might as well play the game rather than getting frustrated because you can never get a primo pool chair.

What's the old adage ... if you can't beat-em, join em? 

image.png.97795f172bea4976d284ff2e178eb2e0.png

- BZ

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wow....What a nerve that takes the cake! 

Hope pool attendant removed them in the alloted time frame if no one sat there.

.....if not  call Hotel Director! No need to get into personal tiffs...just insist X staff do their job!

Take them off or better still set them up in the same way at a far less desirable location.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The pool staff should go over to the chairs and write the time on the name tag.  When the time 'expires', off come the towels.  So thoughtful of the guests to provide that opportunity.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 4

I am glad that we don't care about sitting next to the pool with hordes of other people.  Not our idea of a fun vacation.  So I guess I can say the chair hogs don't affect us, but I think they are very inconsiderate people.😣

• Like 12

I have to admit this is the first time I've ever seen chair hogs that have the balls to put their names on the loungers. :classic_rolleyes: I walk the track early every morning for about 1.5 hours (6 - 7:30). On sea days I get a birds eye view of the chair hogs marking their territory by the pool that early in the morning. Some are still in their PJs!  I prefer the deck above the pool and have never had a problem finding a lounger no matter the time of day. Better views. I like to turn my lounger so it's facing the ocean and sit there watching the day go by while enjoying my BP. 

• Like 7

Chair hogs often "reserve"  both sunny and shady locations...and then spend most of the day away from both ...They also do the " reserve and save" routine in the Solarium and the theater. Selfish and greedy!

On pool days, we rise early, eat  breakfast,  pick a  shady spot or a Solarium lounger.   We enjoy the pools before the crowds arrive and relocate to  more peaceful areas! 

Interesting to watch the hogs in action!

• Like 3

Picture showed plenty of empty chairs behind them, always have been able to find a chair might not be best location. Some ships are better did oasis on rccl plenty of chairs by pool, infinity two weeks ago had to look hard for chair. 

7 minutes ago, George C said:

Picture showed plenty of empty chairs behind them, always have been able to find a chair might not be best location. Some ships are better did oasis on rccl plenty of chairs by pool, infinity two weeks ago had to look hard for chair. 

It was very early read this post at 1.00pm in uk which meant 8.00am onboard.on social media there are over 270 posts re this

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The pool staff should go over to the chairs and write the time on the name tag.  When the time 'expires', off come the towels.  So thoughtful of the guests to provide that opportunity.  EM

Write the time on them, why?  The rules say no saving, they should take their stuff off and let others use the loungers.  Give the towels to the Hotel Director and have them retreive from him/her, so that he/she can explain to them that this is not allowed.

Since folks took pictures, wonder if they took those pictures to the Hotel Director and ask if this is the new policy?

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Write the time on them, why?  The rules say no saving, they should take their stuff off and let others use the loungers.  Give the towels to the Hotel Director and have them retreive from him/her, so that he/she can explain to them that this is not allowed.

Since folks took pictures, wonder if they took those pictures to the Hotel Director and ask if this is the new policy?

My guess would be no. They should have. 

Edited by davekathy

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My guess would be no. They should have. 

Doesn't it make you wonder?  I guess if we all just sit back and complain without trying to do something to solve an issue, we are part of the problem and nothing will ever be done about idiots that feel they can save a lounger for hours.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Doesn't it make you wonder?  I guess if we all just sit back and complain without trying to do something to solve an issue, we are part of the problem and nothing will ever be done about idiots that feel they can save a lounger for hours.

Yes it does. Agree, be part of the solution, not part of the problem. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Just now, yorky said:

Have to say I would never clip my name to a chair in order to save it.

Yip, you have a point ……. to be honest we don't do the whole chair saving thing at all so wouldn't even use a towel ….

6 minutes ago, yorky said:

Have to say I would never clip my name to a chair in order to save it.

The names with the clips makes it easy for them to recognize their property when they have to retrieve it from Guest Relations, which is what they should have had to do. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4