The latest in chair hogging

flyers10

On 4/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, cruisestitch said:

Even this fellow is shocked!

F314C07F-0844-48AC-9211-5A21FC73B86E.jpeg

I love this pic...truly funny and creative....the time it took to create this 'person' effigy!   but is it truly reserved or is this a joke by someone nearby to prove the chair hog point?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kentlady said:

Sorry to say but on my recent Reflection cruise I had been on my sun bed near the pool for over 3 hours next to me were  2 unused saved beds with towels beach bag and a book. It was a sea day so lots of people wandering around looking for somewhere to sit, the pool attendant happened to stand next to me so I mentioned this to him his response was “ we aren’t allowed to move personal items”  and off he went. The so called owners came back over an hour later gathered up their belongings and went.

On my Reflection cruise, the pool attendant actually told passengers if they wanted to save a lounger, don't put a towel on it, but put a personal item.

10 hours ago, kentlady said:

Sorry to say but on my recent Reflection cruise I had been on my sun bed near the pool for over 3 hours next to me were  2 unused saved beds with towels beach bag and a book. It was a sea day so lots of people wandering around looking for somewhere to sit, the pool attendant happened to stand next to me so I mentioned this to him his response was “ we aren’t allowed to move personal items”  and off he went. The so called owners came back over an hour later gathered up their belongings and went.

This is exactly what a pool butler said to me, which spurred me into action with all my guest comments cards. The day after my complaints the attendants were placing 30 min cards and did remove unattended items within the 30 mins. I think staff are told to take off the towels rather than disturb personal items. However, the attendants don't seem to recognize the difference between a book from the library and personal articles of clothing. 

12 hours ago, kentlady said:

I think I'd gather up all of the items and give them to the pool attendant and tell him I just "found" these "lost" items.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, kathynorth said:

This is exactly what a pool butler said to me, which spurred me into action with all my guest comments cards. The day after my complaints the attendants were placing 30 min cards and did remove unattended items within the 30 mins. I think staff are told to take off the towels rather than disturb personal items. However, the attendants don't seem to recognize the difference between a book from the library and personal articles of clothing. 

Please don't fame me, but as someone who doesn't do the whole reserve a chair thing I do think that 30 minutes isn't a long time …..

We tend to get up late (well if 9am is late) and don't look for the sunbeds until we've had our breakfast and are ready to use them. During that day though there may be a time when we would want to go to the buffet for lunch and swim / relax in the pool.

30 minutes just doesn't seem a long time to be given for lunch.

Perhaps I'm fretting over nothing, because the rules aren't enforced very often anyway.

Just a thought

An enterprising person on CC here should develop some type of sticky tape roll that says something like " Reserved by Lowly Chair Hogs Who Don't Care About Their Fellow Passengers".  And tear off a piece and put this on the hogged chairs right on their stuff.  Maybe this sticky could be sold on line at a well known site.  Maybe others here could be more creative about the message.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I fine it hard when I cruise solo.  I put my stuff on a chair and I am in the water for 1/2 hour or more.  I hope when I come out no one has moved my stuff.  No one knows where I am, in the water or have saved the chair.  

I have seen where a couple had 2 chairs in the sun which they sat in and also 2 empty chairs in the shade.  He kept coming back to check on the shade chairs for over 2 hours. A elderly couple were looking for chairs,  I mentioned to them about the shade chairs, they went to the pool attendant and he removed the items.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Please don't fame me, but as someone who doesn't do the whole reserve a chair thing I do think that 30 minutes isn't a long time …..

We tend to get up late (well if 9am is late) and don't look for the sunbeds until we've had our breakfast and are ready to use them. During that day though there may be a time when we would want to go to the buffet for lunch and swim / relax in the pool.

30 minutes just doesn't seem a long time to be given for lunch.

Perhaps I'm fretting over nothing, because the rules aren't enforced very often anyway.

Just a thought

Chair hogs think the same thing. 😏

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you are in the pool, that’s one thing. Saving a chair for yourself while you are swimming is fine. But going inside to lunch, no. Give up your chair and pick a new one when you come back from eating

The Mast Grille and Aqua Spa Cafe are convenient to the pool area. You can grab something quick in the buffet and bring it back to your lounger. If you go the buffet, peruse all the food stations, sit for lunch and a few drinks, you know it's going to be more than 30 minutes, take your stuff with you. 

• Like 5

I will swim, but I am not a sun sitter.  I will sit in an empty chair with a towel at times if no one is around and others say no one has been at the chair for over the allotted time.  I will  swim return to the chair and then go on about my day.  I am comfortable with not breaking any rules without being a chair hog.  If someone were to arrive I would just leave.

This is not perfect but it  seems to work.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you are in the pool, that’s one thing. Saving a chair for yourself while you are swimming is fine. But going inside to lunch, no. Give up your chair and pick a new one when you come back from eating

Dont you think you’re taking this a little too far?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Chair hogs think the same thing. 😏

2 hours ago, Marelaine said:

The Mast Grille and Aqua Spa Cafe are convenient to the pool area. You can grab something quick in the buffet and bring it back to your lounger. If you go the buffet, peruse all the food stations, sit for lunch and a few drinks, you know it's going to be more than 30 minutes, take your stuff with you. 

We'd probably only go inside for a salad … we don't peruse and certainly don't have a few drinks. I think I'll time us next August out of curiosity ..… and is the time limit really is 30 minutes then we'd make sure that we stuck to the rules

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I don't think I was clear. I totally hate people reserving beds and was trying to say that I think that the 30 minute time limit is too short.

We never save sunbeds and will always go to find one (if we can) after breakfast. Often mid August there are none left anyway.

I would say that when it is baking hot it is lovely to go for a nice swim time to relax in the pools or jacuzzies.

I just think 30 minutes is not a long time this or for lunch. I spend my whole working day grabbing as I go / rushing food at work.

For anyone judging me by my post, just to reinforce that we NEVER break the rules and if it is 30 minutes we would stick to it.

We have never and will never save sunbeds.

Just seems harsh if someone who had a 45 minutes lunch lost a sunbed when 25% of the others had towels on them that had not seen their owner since the sun came up.

Hope this makes sense

PS We travel in the main school holidays and to give up a sun bed would mean you would probably never get another one ...

PPS We also use our balcony to escape most times

On 4/14/2019 at 8:28 AM, justcrusn said:

I surrender. 

If thats what it takes, i guess i have to join the hordes who save chairs.

If this is what people want....hey, I am military and up at 0530 every day rain or shine...so, I’ll always get a chair.

We don’t like to sit near the pool preferring a quieter area but still see chair hogs. I notice in the photo the loungers behind are empty. Could you not swop them?  You haven’t touched their personal belongings nor ‘their’ loungers?  People move loungers around all the time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I don't think I was clear. I totally hate people reserving beds and was trying to say that I think that the 30 minute time limit is too short.

We never save sunbeds and will always go to find one (if we can) after breakfast. Often mid August there are none left anyway.

I would say that when it is baking hot it is lovely to go for a nice swim time to relax in the pools or jacuzzies.

I just think 30 minutes is not a long time this or for lunch. I spend my whole working day grabbing as I go / rushing food at work.

For anyone judging me by my post, just to reinforce that we NEVER break the rules and if it is 30 minutes we would stick to it.

We have never and will never save sunbeds.

Just seems harsh if someone who had a 45 minutes lunch lost a sunbed when 25% of the others had towels on them that had not seen their owner since the sun came up.

Hope this makes sense

PS We travel in the main school holidays and to give up a sun bed would mean you would probably never get another one ...

PPS We also use our balcony to escape most times

We go to the Solarium pool around 2 or 3 p.m, after we've had lunch. By then, the crowds have thinned and there are loungers available at both pools. We avoid the chair hog aggravation altogether.

• Like 1

I surrender. 

If thats what it takes, i guess i have to join the hordes who save chairs.

I have often had the same thought but instead get up early, get my chair (7 am-ish] take a nap or read, sometimes go grab breakfast and/or lunch and bring it back to my chair, hop up for a swim or a drink maybe. My sister has been with me and my DH the last few cruises and she also enjoys pool time (DH not so much) so we almost make a game of it 😂😂 Kinda works out for us since we are usually done with the pool around 1 pm and have the rest of the afternoon to enjoy other activities. 

27 minutes ago, CruiseLifeIsTheBest said:

I have often had the same thought but instead get up early, get my chair (7 am-ish] take a nap or read, sometimes go grab breakfast and/or lunch and bring it back to my chair, hop up for a swim or a drink maybe. My sister has been with me and my DH the last few cruises and she also enjoys pool time (DH not so much) so we almost make a game of it 😂😂 Kinda works out for us since we are usually done with the pool around 1 pm and have the rest of the afternoon to enjoy other activities. 

I never knew that 7am on a cruise actually existed. PLEASE don't tell hubby as I like my lie ins ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

We go to the Solarium pool around 2 or 3 p.m, after we've had lunch. By then, the crowds have thinned and there are loungers available at both pools. We avoid the chair hog aggravation altogether.

I'm a bit of a sunflower ----- love the solarium for the pool but want the sunshine. We hardly ever see the sun in the UK so to be on a holiday where we can feel the sun on us is a once a year experience normally :-)

Have to say … I am guessing that we will be on our balcony most sea days this year. 

(PS For those that are not, I still think that the 30 minute rule is too short ……….. just saying)

• Haha 1

Boy I see a $ opportunity for the cruise line. Rent a timer that can only be set by staff. Hour timer... no charge.....; Two hour timer... rent for $..... three hour timer... rent for $$. Timer would clip onto chair... have unique # assigned to passenger. So if taken... and passenger returns to someone else being in chair... look around for timer with number assigned to you....   Then.... if you are not sitting on a chair... anyone can use it...    Not sure such a timer currently exists... but seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to develop. I can't sit in the sun... so perhaps the lowest level should be two hours.... then you pay for three hour timer ...etc. .... just a thought.

From my perspective anything held with only a towel is fair game.  Just move the towels someplace else.  If someone returns within 30 minutes just get up and move, longer than 30 minutes just shrug your shoulders and say they were empty.

Don't let some other ignorant passengers affect your day.

• Like 2

Thinking of starting a company,  SAV-A-CHAIR Inc.

Will go up to pool deck around 5am and put out signs that say "This lounger is reserved but willing to sell for $5".  Place them on 50 chairs and see if deck patrol reacts or anyone actually offers to pay.  Might make enough for a free cruise.  😁