The latest in chair hogging

flyers10

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

RC also has reserved seating for diamond plus, pinnacle, key and suite guests on the pool deck, theater and studio B. 

I've sailed RC a lot but I've never seen a reserved seat area for Diamond Plus on the pool deck..  Most of my cruises have been on the Oasis class ships, maybe they've added it for smaller ships

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Even if the go to checking out pool towels, you can still use the books from the library get something to hold your chair.

Agree. Char hogs are very good at what they do. 🐷 At least with RC used tools left behind isn't as big of an issue as it is with Celebrity. 

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've sailed RC a lot but I've never seen a reserved seat area for Diamond Plus on the pool deck..  Most of my cruises have been on the Oasis class ships, maybe they've added it for smaller ships

Freedom class is the biggest RC ships we've cruised on. I stand corrected then. We are diamond plus but I always sit on the deck above the pool. My wife prefers the balcony.  Better views. 

42 minutes ago, kearney said:

Can you explain.... if there is a 'private area' that suggests it is limited in some way... do guest have to pay to go there... so that it is available to suite or non-suite provided you pay?... otherwise it seems that it is not private but public.

It’s a more secluded area with deck chairs that’s away from the pool (much more quiet and serene).

but it’s open to anyone first come first serve

Thats the difference in that Carnival has frequent cruises benefits that doesn’t connect to where guests can and cannot go on the ship.  Kinda snooty in my opinion to have a Retreat area for only Suite guests

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

Why don't they just have cubbyholes for stuff and a no saving chairs policy? You get off the chair, your stuff will be moved  to a cubbyhole and someone else can sit on it.  If you see a chair and no one's sitting on it, feel free to move the stuff yourself.

Or, since there is so much complaining in this industry about things being nickel and dimed, why not charge a rental fee for chairs in prime locations - i.e. at the pool, but not for those on random sun decks. $5 per hour per chair.

Edited by KmomChicago

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

It’s a more secluded area with deck chairs that’s away from the pool (much more quiet and serene).

but it’s open to anyone first come first serve

Thats the difference in that Carnival has frequent cruises benefits that doesn’t connect to where guests can and cannot go on the ship.  Kinda snooty in my opinion to have a Retreat area for only Suite guests

When we were on Edge the Retreat deck was solely for suite customers. 

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Can you explain.... if there is a 'private area' that suggests it is limited in some way... do guest have to pay to go there... so that it is available to suite or non-suite provided you pay?... otherwise it seems that it is not private but public.

On the on the revolutionised ships the Retreat deck is soley for suite customers

2 hours ago, kearney said:

The Retreat deck on Edge and any of the ‘revolutionised’ ships is only open tomSuite customers

Many decades ago, my first job was working in Cincinnati at P&G. It was kinda understood that you were expected to come into the office on Saturday's.... this was communicated by telling new employees that they shouldn't come in on Sundays... Anyway.. I learned that one coworker would come to the office... open up a sandwich... take a few bites and leave it on his desk while he left to do whatever on Saturdays... showing up hours later to toss the sandwich.... Anyway this chair business reminds me of those days

23 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Thinking of starting a company,  SAV-A-CHAIR Inc.

Will go up to pool deck around 5am and put out signs that say "This lounger is reserved but willing to sell for $5".  Place them on 50 chairs and see if deck patrol reacts or anyone actually offers to pay.  Might make enough for a free cruise.  😁

Excellent idea. I’ll send the kids out at 5am and get them working for their cruises 😆

The chair saving issue is a problem on all the mass market cruise lines and in many land resorts.  The problem is not the customer who is always going to try and push the rules as long as it is condoned.  The real issue is the inability and complete disinterest in the staff to deal with the problem.  If the rule is that you cannot save a chair more than 30 minutes then deck staff needs to enforce the rule.  We know of one cruise line where staff will walk around and carefully fold a towel on an unused chair that is "saved."  They make constant rounds and if they return in about a half hour and that towel has not been touched they clear off the chair....even if it is full of personal effects (which get sent to Guest Relations lost and found).  But on most lines absolutely nothing is done.  We have been on the Eclipse when a group of about 10 would save chairs every day by 7am (I was there and watched) and then disappear for most of the day.  They actually did this on a port day, apparently went ashore (we happened to stay on the ship and were sitting near their saved chairs) and did not return to use their chairs to around 4:30pm.  Those 10 loungers (all in a row) remained "saved" the entire day while the Pool Butlers walked by and paid it no mind.

So what is the solution?  One day we noticed some "saved chairs" that were unused for several hours.  We were nearby at a regular table chatting with some folks and waiting for some loungers.  Finally I took all the personal stuff on those two "saved" chairs and took it over to one of the pool staff telling him that somebody must have forgotten their stuff (I assume he took all the junk to lost and found).  We sat in those chairs for several hours when a couple showed-up and told us we were "in their chairs."  I told the couple we had been there for several hours (true) and we did not move :).  The other solution is to book a luxury line like Seabourn or Silverseas where you will get a lounger :).

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

To complement "Sav a Chair"  now considering complementary business "Find a chair".  Give me $5 and I'll bring you a lounger.  Just don't ask where it came from or why there's a pile of towels, books and sandals lying on the deck..

Franchise opportunity for those seeking additional revenue to offset the premium drink package :) 

22 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Or, since there is so much complaining in this industry about things being nickel and dimed, why not charge a rental fee for chairs in prime locations - i.e. at the pool, but not for those on random sun decks. $5 per hour per chair.

Bad idea...not needed on X.  .  Those who want a teserved private spot can reserve an Alcove!

And just have staff enforce current rules

Enforcing the rules would be easy....a simple slip of paper with the time and a clip attached to the chair....but they don't want to upset the very people that cause the issue.  This would be especially nice early in the AM when you know 95% of them won't be back for hours. 

I just move on to another area...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

I was reading recent reviews for an all-inclusive that I went to a few years ago to see if anything had improved.  One of my complaints there was that the hogs would be out before sunrise to claim every chair around the pool and the staff would do nothing about it.  The pool was basically a ghost town all day because every chair was "occupied" but there was no one sitting in them because the same people were also occupying the chairs on the beach.  Anyway, the recent reviews included complaints from those who thought it unfair that the hotel had started clearing loungers of all belongings at 7am.  Seems like this is a losing proposition for the business either way you go.  Some people cannot be shamed.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:50 AM, pa-annie said:

I detest chair hogs, but I'm getting to that point too.  It almost seems like more peeps are hogs than those who are not.  As long as the chair police do not enforce the rules consistently, might as well play the game rather than getting frustrated because you can never get a primo pool chair.

What's the old adage ... if you can't beat-em, join em? 

image.png.97795f172bea4976d284ff2e178eb2e0.png

- BZ

On 6/15/2019 at 6:04 AM, TeeRick said:

An enterprising person on CC here should develop some type of sticky tape roll that says something like " Reserved by Lowly Chair Hogs Who Don't Care About Their Fellow Passengers".  And tear off a piece and put this on the hogged chairs right on their stuff.  Maybe this sticky could be sold on line at a well known site.  Maybe others here could be more creative about the message.  

I have downloaded and printed out the "We Will Be Right Back" picture (9 per sheet) with plans to use them on my next upcoming cruise.

And no, not on my chair. 🤣

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

I have downloaded and printed out the "We Will Be Right Back" picture (9 per sheet) with plans to use them on my next upcoming cruise.

And no, not on my chair. 🤣

If you're serious about doing this, then IMO it's a bad idea. The chair hogs will now become litter bugs. 

• Like 1