Sip and sail Promotion

peiguy48

It was June 28 - September 5th last year.

There is a cruise travel agent that has a similar promo before this one starts that is unique to that cruise agency so there is always confusion on this.

Last year, the big box sale started June 21.  We booked with them and it also included the gratuities, and a small OBC. 

Last week, they held an event on the Grand Princess.  It was a free BVE, with a sales presentation regarding this year's sale.  Unfortunately, we were unable to go. 😞

47 minutes ago, Coral said:

In the past, they often included tips also.

I probably should have said "cruise agency" not agent.

Quite right. In her Email to us, our rep only mentioned the booze package and gratuities, but in the last few years we've taken this deal with her, it also included the Coupon Book with the free Embarkation night dinner (and not much else), as well as very good Princess and TA OBCs. She said the sale this year would be 6-8 June

I have not sailed with Princess for many years.  When I did they weren't doing Sip and Sail.  I believe I looked into it last year, but if I remember correctly, the promotion was only for sailings way into the future.  Do I remember this correctly?  For instance, if I am looking at a sailing in December of this year, would Sip and Sail be available for it?

6 minutes ago, mafig said:

I have not sailed with Princess for many years.  When I did they weren't doing Sip and Sail.  I believe I looked into it last year, but if I remember correctly, the promotion was only for sailings way into the future.  Do I remember this correctly?  For instance, if I am looking at a sailing in December of this year, would Sip and Sail be available for it?

No, that date was included in the Sip and Sail promo from this past June.

8 minutes ago, mafig said:

The Ts and Cs of the promotion have been pretty consistent over the last few years, and you are correct, in past years, for a June sale, the first covered sail dates would be, I believe, starting the Spring/Summer of the next year. Unfortunately, your desired December trip would not be covered by this year's Sale (though I wish it would be as we're also looking for something around the end of this year).  Also, keep in mind that while there is a huge list of available sailings covered by the SnS promo, not every voyage is on the list

Almost every year this sale takes place starting in mid June and covers cruise at least 9 months out and later so spring of 2020 would be the first cruises covered - be prepared however for a possible bump in fares when this promo starts

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The Ts and Cs of the promotion have been pretty consistent over the last few years, and you are correct, in past years, for a June sale, the first covered sail dates would be, I believe, starting the Spring/Summer of the next year. Unfortunately, your desired December trip would not be covered by this year's Sale (though I wish it would be as we're also looking for something around the end of this year).  Also, keep in mind that while there is a huge list of available sailings covered by the SnS promo, not every voyage is on the list

Thanks.  Disappointing.:classic_sad:

2 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Also, S&S only applies to balcony or above cabin categories. Cruise must be 45 days or less.

True but... Although we ended up cancelling the cruise I had the Sip and Sail for the entire 49 days from FLL to LA around the Horn. Princess told me "nope" when I asked about the promo for that cruise but I booked it as a 19 day and a 30 day and they were happy to provide the package when I booked that way. Sometimes you just have to fiddle with things. Booking that way also gave me double FCD and Shareholder OBC benefits. (Given the medical issues we ended up with I'm very glad we cancelled this cruise.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

Almost every year this sale takes place starting in mid June and covers cruise at least 9 months out and later so spring of 2020 would be the first cruises covered - be prepared however for a possible bump in fares when this promo starts

Yep. Some cruises work out really great when adding the S&S but this time my cabins went up by $1,000 per person on the day the promo came out. Obviously it didn't work out for us this time but others were able to add the promo and come out great. One can't win them all but it's good that some can win.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can get OBC in lieu of the beverage package when booking the Sip ‘n Sail. That makes it kind of useless to me as I rarely drink so I’d be getting the equivalent of the Soda & More. 

I was able to re-book my two upcoming cruises under the S&S last year and got $600 in OBC instead of the beverage package. 

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The Ts and Cs of the promotion have been pretty consistent over the last few years, and you are correct, in past years, for a June sale, the first covered sail dates would be, I believe, starting the Spring/Summer of the next year. Unfortunately, your desired December trip would not be covered by this year's Sale (though I wish it would be as we're also looking for something around the end of this year). 

Restrictions like this are aimed at encouraging people to book cruises far in advance. Just like the three-for-free promotion which usually starts when the S&S promotion ends, the bookings do not apply to cruises that start within about the next nine months.

This marketing seems to work and not just for Princess. Carnival Corp which owns Princess and 8 other cruise brands reports that future bookings are ahead of last year at this time and in general at higher pricing than a year ago. The amount of inventory remaining to be sold for the rest of 2019 is lower than it was at this time last year for the rest of 2018 even though there is additional ship capacity this year compared to last.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yep. Some cruises work out really great when adding the S&S but this time my cabins went up by $1,000 per person on the day the promo came out. Obviously it didn't work out for us this time but others were able to add the promo and come out great. One can't win them all but it's good that some can win.

Last year there were posts that pricing for the S&S was for various dates/itineraries

(a) Higher than before the S&S promotion started

(b) Lower than before the S&S promotion started

(c) The same as before the S*S promotion started

Those who said (a) believed that Princess raised the prices to pay for the "free" beverage package, but it is possible that (a), (b) and (c) were all due to supply/demand economics.

5 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can get OBC in lieu of the beverage package when booking the Sip ‘n Sail. That makes it kind of useless to me as I rarely drink so I’d be getting the equivalent of the Soda & More. 

I was able to re-book my two upcoming cruises under the S&S last year and got $600 in OBC instead of the beverage package. 

Two years ago you could. Last year you could not.

One thing to look for for those waiting for Sip-n-Sail.  About a week prior to the stare of SnS there is a TA that has a 3-Day Sale specifically targeted at Princess Cruises.  I've found that this sale is even a better deal than SnS.  It started June 21st last year.

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Last year there were posts that pricing for the S&S was for various dates/itineraries

(a) Higher than before the S&S promotion started

(b) Lower than before the S&S promotion started

(c) The same as before the S*S promotion started

Those who said (a) believed that Princess raised the prices to pay for the "free" beverage package, but it is possible that (a), (b) and (c) were all due to supply/demand economics.

Booked the S&S for our next cruise in a Deluxe Balcony for $1078. On Princess site it's $1195 for cabin next to ours right now.

Prices change all the time due to supply and demand - I have a cruise booked for October where "normal" mini suites are no going for $200 more per person than I booked a club class for.  If a cruise books fast prices will rise

On 4/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, mnocket said:

One thing to look for for those waiting for Sip-n-Sail.  About a week prior to the stare of SnS there is a TA that has a 3-Day Sale specifically targeted at Princess Cruises.  I've found that this sale is even a better deal than SnS.  It started June 21st last year.

mnocket, What TA offers that?