General Parking Question

EllisEnchanted

The biggest difference is probably the price. For example, Port of Miami parking (garage or surface lot) is $22/day. You're paying a lot more for the convenience of being close to your cruise terminal. Off-site parking lots & garages will often be less than half that. And most, if not all, of those have their own shuttles to the terminals. Just keep in mind that their own shuttles usually wait to fill up, so this can create a wait before you're taken to the terminal or back to the parking lot afterwards. They're often fenced lots or secure garages, some with their own security. Do a little research to find what's best for you. Look up the port you're sailing out of to see their parking prices and compare it to off-site parking. Just do a search for that town + cruise parking (something like that). If you don't mind paying the higher rate, then parking at the port is probably your best bet.

I also like to use the satellite view on Google Maps to look at different off-site lots just to get an idea of where they are and what they're like. Some will park your car themselves (and get it for you after) because they like to cram them in to get as many in the lot as possible. I've even read that some make you leave your car keys with them. It's always best to do research and look at reviews if you're thinking about using one of the off-site lots/garages.

There are also hotels that offer cruise parking. Some might have cruise packages that include parking, others charge a daily fee, but it's always cheaper than parking at the cruise port itself. And many hotels offer their own shuttle service to the ports (some free to the nearest port, some charge a fee).

Hope this helps. 🙂

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Thanks 1

Kind of like airports.  There are high priced close in lots, cheaper distant lots and usually even cheaper off airport parking.  Generally fewer options at ports but some people are willing to trade time and convenience for price.  You have to look at each port individually to see what may be available.

• Like 1

Unlike the cruise parking lot in Manhattan, the cruise parking lot in Brooklyn, New York does not cap monthly parking rates. For our upcoming cruise I'd have to pay about $600 for parking. I've discovered that two one-way Hertz rentals is far cheaper than parking at the pier, and cheaper even than taking the train when I consider the cost or parking  at the train station or getting a ride there.

15 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Unlike the cruise parking lot in Manhattan, the cruise parking lot in Brooklyn, New York does not cap monthly parking rates. For our upcoming cruise I'd have to pay about $600 for parking. I've discovered that two one-way Hertz rentals is far cheaper than parking at the pier, and cheaper even than taking the train when I consider the cost or parking  at the train station or getting a ride there.

We have been using one-way rental cars for many years, when cruising in or out of NYC.  Last year when cruising out of Red Hook (a real pain because of its location) we dropped a one-way rental car at Enterprise in Brooklyn.  One of their staff jumped in our rental car and quickly drove us over to the port for no extra charge.  What a deal!   If we were taking 7 day round trip cruises out of NYC we would likely park at the port, but we gave up short cruises many years ago.

Hank

I was laboring under a false assumption that one-way rentals had drop fees and/or mileage charges that made them impractical. Now I realize that two one-way rentals from central Pennsylvania are cheaper than even 12 nights of parking at Red Hook.

The westbound crossing from Hamburg arrives in New York on a Sunday, when the Brooklyn Hertz locations are either closed or only open limited hours. I need to do more research on other rental agencies. Hertz out of Newark Airport is reasonable, except for getting to Newark...

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Underwatr said:

I was laboring under a false assumption that one-way rentals had drop fees and/or mileage charges that made them impractical. Now I realize that two one-way rentals from central Pennsylvania are cheaper than even 12 nights of parking at Red Hook.

The westbound crossing from Hamburg arrives in New York on a Sunday, when the Brooklyn Hertz locations are either closed or only open limited hours. I need to do more research on other rental agencies. Hertz out of Newark Airport is reasonable, except for getting to Newark...

If you simply must use Hertz there are locations open in Manhattan (on Sunday).  Enterprise has some Brooklyn locations open on Sunday mornings and we often find their one-way deals less expensive then Hertz (even when using our discount).  A lot of extensive travel has taught me to throw away my preconceived likes/dislikes about rental car companies and use whoever has the best deal and most convenient location.  Over the years our feelings about rental car companies have changed to a point where we now think that all the rental car companies "suck."

Hank

Enterprise prices out about twice Hertz ($233 vs $110 or so)

Hertz out of Manhattan isn't twice as much as out of Newark, Airport but of course the cab fare will be higher to Newark.

Edited by Underwatr

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, Underwatr said:

Enterprise prices out about twice Hertz ($233 vs $110 or so)

Hertz out of Manhattan isn't twice as much as out of Newark, Airport but of course the cab fare will be higher to Newark.

Always a problem :(.  We have done quite a few rentals into and out of Manhattan (our DD lives in lower Manhattan) and its usually the same story.  We can usually find a good deal on a one-way going into Manhattan (the agencies want to move cars into the city for weekend rentals) but a one-way out of the city usually costs more.  But over $200 is ridiculous!

Hank

For the time being I've booked a Hertz car from Newark Airport to home for about $125, and will drive to from home to Brooklyn for $107 and change. I need to look into cab fare but I think it will price out less than the $100 that a Cunard transfer will cost for the two of us.

Another thing to consider is security.  Saving money to leave your car in a sketchy area is not worth the risk.  Organized Chaos had a good tip to use Google satellite view to get a feel for each lots situation.  We cruised out of Miami last October and chose to park at the port in their enclosed garage as it has 24 hour security and we'd heard horror stories about off port parking of people returning find their cars broken into and even one case where someone returned to find a homeless person sleeping in their car.  Now I'm sure many have cruised out of Miami and had no problems but we chose to pay the 22/night for peace of mind.  Definitely research the lots the areas, as well as cost.  Sometimes security is worth a little extra cash.  We can't speak for any port other than Miami though as that was our first cruise.  Our next one is out of Port Everglades but we won't have a vehicle to park.  

On 4/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, angie7911922 said:

It's cheaper to park offsite. Most offsite places have a shuttle to the port for quick and easy access. Just plan a few extra minutes to get to and from your car if going this route.

Keep in mind, some of the off site parking that offer shuttles will charge you a per person rate after a certain amount of passengers.  It will always be more convenient but sometimes it might be cheaper just to park at the port.

You did not mention where you are cruiseg from? You walk from the port parking to the ships terminal. off site parking and you are dropped off at the ships terminal and costs far less. No looking to find a parking space. After the cruise. You are picked up and taken to your vehicle. They usually put your luggage in your vehicle for you. In 1995 we parked at the terminal. However, once we found out about secured, safe and less expensive parking we tried it. Never parked at the terminal again. So, if you tell us where you want to cruise out of. We can offer more suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 2:37 PM, twodaywonder said:

So, if you tell us where you want to cruise out of. We can offer more suggestions. 

We are Sailing with Carnival leaving Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) What are your recomendations for there?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

On 5/16/2019 at 7:44 PM, markieb said:

We are Sailing with Carnival leaving Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) What are your recomendations for there?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Park & Go....literally right outside the gate to the port.  You can book online for better prices

We had a great experience with them!!

8 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Park & Go....literally right outside the gate to the port.  You can book online for better prices

We had a great experience with them!!

Yeah, for a week at Park & Go (if you pre-purchase), it'll be around $45; and if you park at the Port terminal it'll be about $105

Thanks for the suggestion. After Your posts it reminded me that I used Fort Lauderdale Park & Go  9 years ago when I Flew to Anchorage, AK.  Nice covered parking area. I'll check into it again!!

Regarding Park N Go, I definitely recommend paying in advance online.  I’ve always done that...and there have been times when we arrive at the lot there are signs saying it is full.  Depending on how many ships are in port...  Advance booking guarantees you a spot.

Edited by helen haywood