The "10" speech - 5 times in 7 days

The "request" for 10's is alive and well; got it 5 times in 7 days on Allure this week.  Had 3 night dining package; each restaurant mentioned how important the surveys are and 10's especially, asked for 10's in Dining room on 2nd formal night, and then one evening in Windjammer manager was going around doing the same.  Just had to laugh about it.  Food and service were actually pretty good most of the trip, but still find it tacky to be asked multiple times.  Giovanni's had multiple issues during our dinner so was surprised they had the speech.

I find this behavior objectionable and glad I did not see it on Norwegian.  I also could not have given a 10 except for one dining experience on my last few cruises. Dining rooms and specialty rated 7-8 at best. On Norwegian, slow and inattentive service was the biggest issue, failure to refill water and soda, hot food served lukewarm or cold drops, and serving the entree 2 minutes after the appetizer was another common issue. I sailed on Norwegian each of the last 4 years so I am keen to compare RCCL in June on Anthem.  Hoping for better but not expecting it 🙂 

I think that I am going to start asking if they are required to ask for these 10's since the cruise survey asks us to name those who ask for them. Perhaps even ask if I can take a quick cell phone photo of their name tag so I can be sure to spell their name correctly! Ask them this with all sweetness and sincerity in your voice. Bet that puts a stop to this annoying practice right away quick!

• Like 3

Just got off Anthem. My room steward made a request that I please fill out the survey, but didn't ask for a certain rating. In fact, not once did I get the "10" speech (which was significantly different than last time I sailed on Anthem). I did find it a bit odd that the windjammer manager asked over the announcements to applaud the staff each seating (usually I only get that at the end of the cruise). I'm sure you know this, but there is a question on the follow up email survey asking if anyone solicited responses, so I think that is a positive direction for RCL.

• Like 1

I find it sad that the pressure is on the crew to deliver nothing but 10’s, especially since their promotions could be tied to it.  Most are already busting their behinds to give us a good experience and now have their future based on a survey.

I believe a lot of people would rather list all their complaints on a survey once they get home, rather than doing what they should and address the problem while onboard....giving them a chance to correct it.

Again....just my opinion...

• Like 4

I’ve always been very put off by employees of any business asking for the highest score. It’s not at all professional and actually hurts their score in my mind. If someone truly delivers “10” service, it’s a pleasure to score him/her a “10”! 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever
  • Like 2

I hate all of these surveys. It seems any time you travel, shop, eat in a restaurant or simply make a call to your utility company, bank or any organization that sells you a product or provides a service they ask for a survey. The scores  are all skewed either too high or too low. When you are on vacation and unless there was truly an issue the scores will be high because you are on a vacation high. If you do have an issue everything will be bad and the score will reflect it. With all of he complaints I read  here on CC about cut backs and service and food on every line I can't imagine the surveys are even being considered because the food and service declines more and more each year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

I find it sad that the pressure is on the crew to deliver nothing but 10’s, especially since their promotions could be tied to it.  Most are already busting their behinds to give us a good experience and now have their future based on a survey.

I believe a lot of people would rather list all their complaints on a survey once they get home, rather than doing what they should and address the problem while onboard....giving them a chance to correct it.

Again....just my opinion...

A problem... yes... I usually get it addressed.  But any complaint results in unfriendly service the rest of the meal because you have just delivered a rebuke to the specific waiter and busperson. Slow service is already done by the time you report it and cannot be corrected. One time I spoke up was when a meal was delivered in pieces to each member of our dining party so that we each ate at different times.  I had to wait 20 minutes for the officer in charge of the venue.  She listened and took down my name and cabin number.  Oh nice, I thought, maybe I will be credited something or get chocolate covered strawberries with a nice note.

A day later, my cabin steward mentioned that I had a bad experience in a restaurant. Shocked, I asked how he knew.  He said your cabin has a notation. Notation? What did it say?  He said, you complained about the restaurant.

So now I have a suspicion that speaking up causes them to track you as a possible problem complainer.  After 4 cruises on Norwegian Breakway and hearing others, I am certain that slow service is a chronic problem on that ship or cruise line and I report it as such on the survey rather than get my waiter in trouble.  It's a management problem.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I hate all of these surveys. It seems any time you travel, shop, eat in a restaurant or simply make a call to your utility company, bank or any organization that sells you a product or provides a service they ask for a survey. The scores  are all skewed either too high or too low. When you are on vacation and unless there was truly an issue the scores will be high because you are on a vacation high. If you do have an issue everything will be bad and the score will reflect it. With all of he complaints I read  here on CC about cut backs and service and food on every line I can't imagine the surveys are even being considered because the food and service declines more and more each year.

I stopped ALL surveys a long time ago...it is a waste oft time!🙄

I've got an answer.... as soon as see it coming say you will give them a "10" if they stop the speech right then.  Any further talking about it will start subtracting points.  I want to talk to my tablemates and enjoyed talking to the staff about where they were from etc, back when they had time to chat, but they are too rushed now and neither of us has time to listen to speeches at this point.  And no more song and dance either, it embarrassess us both.  IMHO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, springfire said:

Didn't hear the request for 10 on the Jewel in February, our next cruise will be on the Allure in September, not looking  forward to hearing those speeches again.   I thought they were done with that.

Seriously,  I haven't been asked for a 10 in over a year. I have been asked to fill out the survey.

• Like 2

Sometimes I simply stop in the middle of a survey and delete it.  Other times I complete it.  I recently did a survey after staying at The Dolphin at Epcot.  Almost everything was excellent except for the waitress in the dining room at breakfast.  I explained the issue in totality and also added my name and email address on the survey.   Two days after submitting the survey response I was contacted by the assistant manager of the restaurant.  I provided him my telephone number and he called me.  We discussed what had happened as well as why I did not report this at the time.  I was with a friend that never wants to be around confrontation and would rather just leave than become involved in issues.

The reason I mention this is going forward I'm going to finish my survey's in the same manner.  If there was a problem I will mention it on the survey and I will provide my name and email address.  I wonder how many times I'll be contacted???

My last two cruises I was not asked one time about giving 10's  and I don't remember being asked about the survey.  The ships were the Enchantment and Oasis.

i keep an eye on the critic and have not seen this one about 10 until today. When I saw it I did not know whether they were talking about 10 minutes or 10 dollars, well now I know.  Have not had the pleasure of this happening yet. Will be going on the Rhapsody this coming coming weekend the 20th. Will prepare myself if it happens

people knowing this now will give them a chance to decide what their personal choice is.  I know once I was in a meeting about a survey, and people were told, this is the result we want now go do the survey.  I do  know there is some retaliation when one gets cross way over an issue.  It's like driving a car, "I was right, dead right"

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't reply to them either but it's annoying to be constantly asked.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't reply to them either but it's annoying to be constantly asked.

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Seriously,  I haven't been asked for a 10 in over a year. I have been asked to fill out the survey.

It was longer than that for me until our Rhapsody cruise this month. We ate three nights in MDT. The third night we had a different waiter. He gave us the speech before taking our order. He tried to be cute about by saying after the speech "and what number do I like?" I was gonna' get snarky but DW reads me pretty well and jumped in with a 10. I answered yes on the survey but unless I missed it, there didn't seem to be a place to put Piotr's name.

3 hours ago, cello56 said:

I think that I am going to start asking if they are required to ask for these 10's since the cruise survey asks us to name those who ask for them. Perhaps even ask if I can take a quick cell phone photo of their name tag so I can be sure to spell their name correctly! Ask them this with all sweetness and sincerity in your voice. Bet that puts a stop to this annoying practice right away quick!

I doubt it. We asked our waiter and assistant waiter on our last cruise about that question. They asked their head waiter. It was a total surprise to all of them that that question was even on the survey. 

11 minutes ago, Big_G said:

It was longer than that for me until our Rhapsody cruise this month. We ate three nights in MDT. The third night we had a different waiter. He gave us the speech before taking our order. He tried to be cute about by saying after the speech "and what number do I like?" I was gonna' get snarky but DW reads me pretty well and jumped in with a 10. I answered yes on the survey but unless I missed it, there didn't seem to be a place to put Piotr's name.

There is a place to mention the position/department 

To those of you that say you specifically will *not* give 10's if asked, would it be different if the staff simply asked you to fill out the survey? Meaning, you still get the annoying request to fill out the survey, but they do not mention 10s?

• Like 1