Jim_Iain Live Blog - Infinity B2B - Carribbean and East Bound TA

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Another interesting tid bit, which I find hard to believe.  This will be Infinty’s first time to Europe since being built.   Wonder if anyone can confirm. 

Sorry to correct, but who ever told you this but not true.

I did an "Immersive Wine Cruise" out of Harwich. UK in 2013 and certainly was not a new ship then. I think Infinity also sailed out of UK the year before as well.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On the first day our Butler indicated that Sushi on Five was included in unlimited free dining.  We aren't big Sushi eaters so haven't tried.

Last night we were chatting with the Luminae Manager and he said they were revising La Petite Chef to two menus per cruise to give more variety and hopefully get repeat guests.

One of my posts got lost ??? It happens sometimes when I edit or forget to hit post. Distraction??

I was thinking that the  LPC menu changes may indicate that LPC is a one and done for most..  maybe the gimmicky show will eventually run its course.

.We heard the food in LPC was good, but  never had any interest in the  cartoon show. My spouse has a severe lobster allergy which precludes any lobster course ,  or even the alt dinner mentioned that is seafood focused. Or dinner on the EDGE ..

We preferred Q sine..It had good food and more menu variety....meat, fish and veggies.

As someone recently mentioned..maybe on the Grande Bistro thread, there seems to be a move toward  fixed menu events with fewer choices.  Sort of a pre packaged trend...ex, Dinner on the Edge, dinner at EDEN, the soon to be introduced brunch on EDGE and changes mentioned to LPC..which had 2 alt set menus only.

It will be interesting to follow....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24acorns said:

Sorry to correct, but who ever told you this but not true.

I did an "Immersive Wine Cruise" out of Harwich. UK in 2013 and certainly was not a new ship then. I think Infinity also sailed out of UK the year before as well.

You are correct.  I asked Captain Yannis today and he indicated it was first visit SINCE 2015.  

I’ll have to update the staff member who mentioned it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

One of my posts got lost ??? It happens sometimes when I edit or forget to hit post. Distraction??

I was thinking that the  LPC menu changes may indicate that LPC is a one and done for most..  maybe the gimmicky show will eventually run its course.

.We heard the food in LPC was good, but  never had any interest in the  cartoon show. My spouse has a severe lobster allergy which precludes any lobster course ,  or even the alt dinner mentioned that is seafood focused. Or dinner on the EDGE ..

We preferred Q sine..It had good food and more menu variety....meat, fish and veggies.

As someone recently mentioned..maybe on the Grande Bistro thread, there seems to be a move toward  fixed menu events with fewer choices.  Sort of a pre packaged trend...ex, Dinner on the Edge, dinner at EDEN, the soon to be introduced brunch on EDGE and changes mentioned to LPC..which had 2 alt set menus only.

It will be interesting to follow....

I agree with you as we did it once and felt we were done with it.    Even with a different menu I doubt we would do it again.  

4 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Hi Jim Just checked my cruises and in October 2014 we did the crossing on her from Harwich UK to Fll

We were also on the Vancouver to Japan this past September with you on the Millie and talked to you

I love your blogs We are doing the Summit for the 11th time on January 14th and wereon the Silhouette Mar 24th

Have a wonderful visit to Bonnie Scotland

Thanks.  We will enjoy Scotland.  Just hope the weather cooperates.  

On the disembarkation questionnaire the show the cost of transfer from the ship (per person)

BCN    29.96

Train.    23.95

Playa de Catalunya 15.00

The fixed rate of a cab from Pier to BCN in €39.00

Jim, you have been so wonderful about sharing so much info and answering so many questions!  I hope you won't mind one more.

We love to ballroom dance and, from the dailies you are posting, we are excited about the amount of time there is dancing in different venues.  Have you seen many people dancing and does it look more like disco or freeform dancing or more like ballroom?

Wonderful that you are having smooth seas and seem to be having a good time.  It's such fun to check in every day to read more!

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That’s good to hear.  The said they were implementing that starting this cruise.  Maybe because Infinity has had all short cruises. 

Another interesting tid bit, which I find hard to believe.  This will be Infinty’s first time to Europe since being built.   Wonder if anyone can confirm. 

Whoever is handing out that tidbit is misinformed.  We did a B2B2B on Infinity in May of 2014.  The TA in a RS, the British Isles in an AQ, and the Norwegian Fjords in a fabulous corner FV.

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

By the way, Sushi on 5 serves food other than sushi.  Good option for lunch on a sea day when the buffet can be crazy and you're tired of Luminae's lunch menu.

I heard they had several  good choices of non sushi so we are going to try it on the Summit...dh allergic to  lobster...I love it!   What's your fav  non sushi dishes?

1 minute ago, hcat said:

I heard they had several  good choices of non sushi so we are going to try it on the Summit...dh allergic to  lobster...I love it!   What's your fav  non sushi dishes?

The beef ramen slider is great. Also a pork ramen dish. We love it there and my mum isn’t a great fan of sushi.

Wendy

Good luck in Houston.   Our flight to London from there was delayed 5 hours.

A thunderstorm closed the airport right after we touched down.   Everything was stopped and no personnel were allowed outside.    The aircraft we were to take was diverted to New Orleans.   The passengers had been onboard for the flight from London and had to sit in their seats on the ramp in New Orleans.   They were more unhappy than we were.   At least they kept the United Polaris Club open until flights were sorted.   We use to enjoy First Class on United overseas flights, too bad they discontinued First Class.   Now it’s all Polaris but at least the seats lie flat.   We paid for our “business class” seats on our last trip and when we boarded there was no room for our luggage in the overhead.   There are so many folks with priority boarding ahead of business/first class they take all of the overhead space.    Priority bo

• Like 2

We sailed in a RS on our last two cruises with Celebrity.   We did not receive any special invitations by the officers.   We certainly did not have a mostly private tour of the bridge along with lunch with the Captain.   These benefits come from being a “Zenith” member of the Cpatains Club and are not available to ordinary folks booked in a Royal Suite.    I don’t want anyone to be disappointed that they don’t receive what Jim L. receives even if you pay full price for a RS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That’s good to hear.  The said they were implementing that starting this cruise.  Maybe because Infinity has had all short cruises. 

We did a transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Harwich on Infinity in May, 2013.

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for suggestions of Sushi on 5.  We may give it a try.

B113295D-9891-416A-884D-F08ACD2BFC7C.thumb.jpeg.51e078e7501d232bf470d142c043c4f8.jpeg

EDC065A0-463D-40A7-9261-46959E115588.thumb.jpeg.0871ecbbdb4a165e6957aa80989dfd50.jpeg

0DB61DB6-E79F-4047-8E37-ECF2668C9BB0.thumb.jpeg.a557b03c081746606b3b12ff67e02751.jpeg

We will also  give it a try...maybe the day we board Summit,  if menu stays the same. 

If you try it let us know  how you enjoyed it..

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've never done Self Assist but at the end of last cruise I saw people with luggage in hand walking off at 8:30 and no one bothered them.  

I just assumed that Celebrity followed their own rules. The below is the norm of what I've seen.  I guess rules are made to be broken.🙄

image.png.31659405777e9aae7f3e0550ebd311ca.png

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We sailed in a RS on our last two cruises with Celebrity.   We did not receive any special invitations by the officers.   We certainly did not have a mostly private tour of the bridge along with lunch with the Captain.   These benefits come from being a “Zenith” member of the Cpatains Club and are not available to ordinary folks booked in a Royal Suite.    I don’t want anyone to be disappointed that they don’t receive what Jim L. receives even if you pay full price for a RS.

On most of my recent sailings my experience has been the complete opposite of what you post.  There is a private bridge tour and a lunch with the Captain and Sr. Officers for the guests staying in the PH and RS.  There may or may not be an additional luncheon for Zenith members (depends on how many Zeniths are sailing).  Or sometimes if there are only 2 or 3 Zeniths on a sailing they are invited to the luncheon for the upper suite guests.  The invitation actually referred to it as a VIP Luncheon.  So I think this luncheon with the Captain varies from ship to ship.

Edited by jcpc

4 hours ago, pd7277 said:

I just assumed that Celebrity followed their own rules. The below is the norm of what I've seen.  I guess rules are made to be broken.🙄

image.png.31659405777e9aae7f3e0550ebd311ca.png

I don't see where leaving at 8:30 is "breaking" any rule.  The rule says "you MAY disembark".  It does not say you MUST disembark, or that you SHOULD disembark,  between 7:00-7:20

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely incorrect. 

We sailed from Harwich ( England) on a TA in 2013.

Edited by upwarduk