Earth & Ocean

claudiaYVR

Just got off the Encore on Friday and really enjoyed Earth and Ocean.   Just a warning.   The daily newspaper says it is open at 7:00 pm.   BUT, if you want a table, get there about 15 to 20 minutes before then and grab one.   They usually start serving earlier than 7 anyway.

Earth & Ocean is fabulous. I was a fan of Patio Grill in the evening for casual dining,  but E&O is a huge step up.

Don't tell anyone, but I prefer it to TK. 

I'll try to post some menus later this week. 

The menu changes each night and I think is on weekly rotation. It is so much better than TK in our opinion but agree the area is small and tables are taken early. You can’t book a table and they ask you to wait to be seated. This is ignored more often than not simply because people don’t want to miss out. We noticed the Officers will eat there every night - that must be a good recommendation 

The starter of smoked chicken (was smoked duck last year - cost cutting?) is to die for and the bread is just wonderful.

For dessert the baked cheese is not to be missed but is too large for one and the creme caramel is to die for (once again large)

Sorry about the half eaten food photos, I’m not good at remembering to take photos ( I can never wait to get started!)

969E1380-B3F5-4278-9F41-D9E885741797.jpeg

D3440E2C-DA8A-44AA-9BBA-79E4A12CF1AE.jpeg

972B3AD1-8E34-4AC6-8170-5E8C17D8DA18.jpeg

34370D6D-61CE-428F-9E07-083765A004B4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, alidor said:

Just got off the Encore on Friday and really enjoyed Earth and Ocean.   Just a warning.   The daily newspaper says it is open at 7:00 pm.   BUT, if you want a table, get there about 15 to 20 minutes before then and grab one.   They usually start serving earlier than 7 anyway.

Grab one? Do they no longer have the gate and seating hostess, who seats people fairly based on first in the queue, first served?  Or are you suggesting people bypass the queue and just seat themselves?  

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

Grab one? Do they no longer have the gate and seating hostess, who seats people fairly based on first in the queue, first served?  Or are you suggesting people bypass the queue and just seat themselves?  

They have a "gate" and a seating hostess but the layout of Earth and Ocean on the pool deck with no "barriers" means that everyone seems to turn up and seat themselves, just like they do at lunch. People entering the area from deck 8 cabins, or on the  opposite side of the pool deck to the "gate" take their seats without any apparent intervention by staff. I also really enjoyed Earth and Ocean on my recent Sojourn cruise.  There were a couple of big "misses" like the Peking Duck which was terrible (very tough both times), but overall it was a welcome change from the Patio Grill menu which was getting a bit tired (for me anyway).  On our cruise, people sat at tables from about 6.30pm onwards and drinks service started immediately, food service a short time later.  It was always full by 7.15pm but we were on a warm weather cruise so many people wanted to eat outside at night.

Edited by cruising kirby

This was our favorite restaurant on the Quest in November/December.  Even though the menu rotated, we went back so many times that it became somewhat repetitive.  Inventive and no misses.

I really like the look of this. Would I be right in thinking that tables will become vacant again later, say around 8.30. We tend to be late diners and don't like the thought of having to grab a table early. Do people tend to vacate the tables when they've finished dinner or to hang around so that the table isn't freed up.

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

I really like the look of this. Would I be right in thinking that tables will become vacant again later, say around 8.30. We tend to be late diners and don't like the thought of having to grab a table early. Do people tend to vacate the tables when they've finished dinner or to hang around so that the table isn't freed up.

Yes,I was wondering the same thing.

we have a drink in the TK bar or Observation bar then go for dinner around 20.30

I wonder what time the last food orders are?

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,I was wondering the same thing.

we have a drink in the TK bar or Observation bar then go for dinner around 20.30

I wonder what time the last food orders are?

We were on Ovation at Christmas. Full to capacity cruise. We usually arrived to E&O  around 20.30 and, unlike in the MDR on Formal night  😡, we never had a problem getting a table. Of course it could differ on each cruise depending on a few factors.

Hours were 19.00 - 21.00.  

I hope to be able to upload some menus later this week. 

• Thanks 1

On Odyssey, with nice outdoor weather a few months ago and a packed ship, we were only able to get a table at Earth and Ocean when we arrived 8:45ish, and got the last table at that because people were lingering though done eating, just before closing for new arrivals.  We managed to get in twice.

Every time we walked by at 7:00 tables were already full.

To be equitable, I think this should be a reservations venue, as some non-pushy people would be hesitant to just sit down a half hour early bypassing  the hostess,  unless it were previously officially announced  that that is allowed, like in Colonnade.

• Like 1