Safe Flight Home Times

LuCruise

Our fights are opening up soon for our cruise next March.  I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the earliest time we can book a return flight home that is 'safe' in terms of timing?  We've only sailed out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami before.

3 options:

• If flying home from EWR
  • If flying home from JFK
  • If flying home from LGA

Also, from Google maps, it looks like EWR is best airport in terms of distance from cruise port?  What about if choosing between JFK and LGA?  our cruise ends on a Sunday if that makes a difference (i.e. not a work day)

Edited by LuCruise

So you’re cruising on Anthem from Cape Liberty in May 2020?

EWR is the airport of choice.  It is the closest airport.  Transportation costs will be about half the cost of going to LGA or JFK and the time will be at least half.  If you’re coming in the night before (recommended), the hotel options will be more reasonable.  

What plane time options are you seeing for this May? 

10 minutes ago, 138east said:

So you’re cruising on Anthem from Cape Liberty in May 2020?

EWR is the airport of choice.  It is the closest airport.  Transportation costs will be about half the cost of going to LGA or JFK and the time will be at least half.  If you’re coming in the night before (recommended), the hotel options will be more reasonable.  

What plane time options are you seeing for this May? 

Thank you.  So EWR is best.  Yes...Anthem but March 2020 (not May).

We're coming from Toronto which flies to all 3 airports.  Flights from our usual booking site is about 1 week away for opening up flights for our dates (but I do see Porter flights open already if we book directly through them - which flies to EWR almost hourly).  We definitely plan to fly in the day before.  We love NY but not sure if we would spend a day early site seeing/times square area as it doesn't look like the port is near the area.  So assuming for now we just most convenient for Cape Liberty port.

So EWR is best airport...For flying home, would a 12pm flight or later be safe?  

Edited by LuCruise

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thank you.  So EWR is best.  Yes...Anthem but March 2020 (not May).

We're coming from Toronto which flies to all 3 airports.  Flights from our usual booking site is about 1 week away for opening up flights for our dates (but I do see Porter flights open already if we book directly through them - which flies to EWR almost hourly).  We definitely plan to fly in the day before.  We love NY but not sure if we would spend a day early site seeing/times square area as it doesn't look like the port is near the area.  So assuming for now we just most convenient for Cape Liberty port.

So EWR is best airport...For flying home, would a 12pm flight or later be safe?  

12 pm or later should be fine.  It’s a short flight to Toronto.

Reconsider the NY sightseeing if you love NYC.  The closest hotels to the port are 8-11 miles away.  These hotels are at Newark Airport, in downtown Newark, or in Jersey City.  What we recommend is that you consider the Hilton Newark Penn Station for easy access to NJ Transit for $5.25/pp each way.  Uber to the port.  The hotel has a free airport shuttle.  For March 14, 2020, the Hilton honors rate is $130 plus tax cancellable to up to 4 days ahead.  The airport hotels will offer free hotel shuttles and will be comparable in price if not a bit more expensive than the Hilton Penn. The Jersey City hotels do not offer free airport shuttles.

I would say a 12pm flight is just exactly the earliest you should schedule.

And you need to be off ship early to be sure you get an early time.

Off ship with luggage and through immigration... 9am.

Transportation to airport 9-10am

Check in 2 hours prior to an international flight 10am

There are a lot of things that can put a bit of delay in here so you have little room for error.

Late ship return or delay starting disembarkation... long immigration line... traffic delay...

long security line at airport...

you could eat up an hour easily and be checking in at the airport with little time to spare.

Then again your flight could be delayed and all is well.  LOL

3 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I would say a 12pm flight is just exactly the earliest you should schedule.

And you need to be off ship early to be sure you get an early time.

Off ship with luggage and through immigration... 9am.

Transportation to airport 9-10am

Check in 2 hours prior to an international flight 10am

There are a lot of things that can put a bit of delay in here so you have little room for error.

Late ship return or delay starting disembarkation... long immigration line... traffic delay...

long security line at airport...

you could eat up an hour easily and be checking in at the airport with little time to spare.

Then again your flight could be delayed and all is well.  LOL

Agree with PelicanBill!  Noon or later is best.

No need to worry your entire cruise about making it to the airport in time.  :classic_wink:

Thank you!  Would later be safer?  What is recommended?  Have no idea which is why I am asking (and just going by MIA and FLL times).

And thank you so much for the hotel suggestion.  I have marked it, and also gives good guidance for the area.  The Hilton is showing $196 CAD for a (Sat) night, which I think isn't too bad (and yes...Mar 14th 😊 is when we need).