Final Document Pouch

ropomo

Just received my final documents for my upcoming Viking Homelands cruise.  The pouches we have received have been different for each of our cruises.  This one made me wonder since I noticed a link to the theme of Vikings Homelands.  I went back to previous cruises and drew a correlation of pouch theme to the cruise.  Are the pouches themes tied to the cruise being taken, or just random?

This is the one complaint/problem I've had with Viking. We are about to take our 2nd Viking ocean cruise, after 3 river cruises with them. We recently moved, so I updated my address on the website on my guest information form. They sent it to the old address and the post office did not forward it. we don't know where it is - and Viking won't send it to our new address even though it was their error. They admit it was their error, and after several phone calls, am just very frustrated. they said just to print off our electronic documents, which we will. but I just don't understand why they can't resend it to us!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TGBoss said:

This is the one complaint/problem I've had with Viking. We are about to take our 2nd Viking ocean cruise, after 3 river cruises with them. We recently moved, so I updated my address on the website on my guest information form. They sent it to the old address and the post office did not forward it. we don't know where it is - and Viking won't send it to our new address even though it was their error. They admit it was their error, and after several phone calls, am just very frustrated. they said just to print off our electronic documents, which we will. but I just don't understand why they can't resend it to us!!

E-mail the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com.  Include your name, booking number and a phone number. Explain your problem and ask what they can do to help you.

• Like 1

I've heard many people mention either "Viking will send the package" or "passenger will receive the package" around 3 weeks before departure.  Well, we'll be leaving to begin our vacation 3 weeks before embarkation, and it's Memorial Day weekend here in the US.  I had our TA contact Viking to see if they could possibly send it a bit earlier to make sure it arrives no later than the Friday before Memorial Day Weekend.  The Viking rep stated that they mail the package 30 days before embarkation, but they ship it "ground" with 7-10 business day delivery.  Also, Viking would charge extra to send it early.  (Really?)  Our TA was able to get them to waive the "early shipping" fee, but it sounded like they still weren't going to be able to guarantee we'd receive the package in time.  So maybe they aren't actually going to ship it early and just hope it will get to us in time.  They also emailed the doc package to us "in case the package doesn't get there in time."

We need ours early too but all we’ve been told is that we can download it if it doesn’t arrive in time. Not quite the same really. 

Being in Aust we have to wait even longer than US people as they are sent to Viking Australia in Sydney and despatched from there. We leave 2 weeks before our May cruise. 

4 hours ago, just_dont said:

I've heard many people mention either "Viking will send the package" or "passenger will receive the package" around 3 weeks before departure.  Well, we'll be leaving to begin our vacation 3 weeks before embarkation, and it's Memorial Day weekend here in the US.  I had our TA contact Viking to see if they could possibly send it a bit earlier to make sure it arrives no later than the Friday before Memorial Day Weekend.  The Viking rep stated that they mail the package 30 days before embarkation, but they ship it "ground" with 7-10 business day delivery.  Also, Viking would charge extra to send it early.  (Really?)  Our TA was able to get them to waive the "early shipping" fee, but it sounded like they still weren't going to be able to guarantee we'd receive the package in time.  So maybe they aren't actually going to ship it early and just hope it will get to us in time.  They also emailed the doc package to us "in case the package doesn't get there in time."

On board Orion now, Viking sent our documents to our TA by priority mail, they sent us the tracking number so we would know when the TA received them, about 45 days out.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:40 PM, ropomo said:

Just received my final documents for my upcoming Viking Homelands cruise.  The pouches we have received have been different for each of our cruises.  This one made me wonder since I noticed a link to the theme of Vikings Homelands.  I went back to previous cruises and drew a correlation of pouch theme to the cruise.  Are the pouches themes tied to the cruise being taken, or just random?

I went back and found four pouches from previous Ocean cruises.  Two have the Albert Einstein quote ("The important thing is never to stop questioning.") and two have the Havamal Viking Proverb ("He is truly wise who has traveled far and knows the ways of the world.")  They didn't seem to be at all related to a particular cruise.

Others in the thread have raised concerns about the timing of receipt of the travel documents in those pouches.  I don't believe the travel booklet, which is 95% generic, contains any information that you don't already have or isn't readily available on My Viking Journey.  It also contains the red Viking stickers that you are supposed to wear when you arrive at your destination airport, but I never wear those because every time we've arrived there have been PLENTY of Viking reps checking you in and directing you to your transportation (and I'm just contrarian enough to hate wearing stickers!).  There are also the nice leather Viking luggage tags that I also never use because those are just the kinds of things that hang off your suitcases and get stuck in automated luggage sorters and result in your luggage possibly getting torn up or delayed.  The only thing of real import in the pouch that you need when you arrive are the Viking luggage tags that have your name and cabin number printed on them, but I'm sure the folks on the ground have extras that can be used if your arrive without them.  I'm not intending to start a debate on the usefulness of the stuff in the pouch and I understand why some folks might want to have theirs in hand before the trip, but I think you can get by just fine without it if for whatever reason yours doesn't arrive in time.  In fact, as the My Viking Journey app gets more refined, I wouldn't be surprised to see Viking eliminate the booklet.  I've noted in other threads that some folks have said they needed the travel booklet as their "ticket" at check-in, but I've never had anyone ask for it.  All I've been asked to show is my passport and my credit card.   As people wiser than me repeatedly point out on this forum, though, "your results may vary." 

• Like 1

For some strange reason, when embarking in San Juan we had to show our booklet with boarding information to get through the initial gate—this was last month.  That let us go to the customs table where they checked our passports.  Then into the terminal building to check in with Viking.  Maybe it’s just US ports?

After contacting tellus@vikingcruises, I got a phone call within a few hours. They are sending out a new packet, so success!

Just wonder why this worked and the 3 phone calls didn't?! But not complaining. Thanks Peregrina!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PRH said:

For some strange reason, when embarking in San Juan we had to show our booklet with boarding information to get through the initial gate—this was last month.  That let us go to the customs table where they checked our passports.  Then into the terminal building to check in with Viking.  Maybe it’s just US ports?

And this is what concerns me as I’ve read others had to do the same in the various ports. We are departing from Vancouver next month and have to do US customs entry at the same time and it might be exactly when we need them. It’s the first cruise ever Viking has done out of Vancouver so I’d rather not be the experimental failure. 

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

And this is what concerns me as I’ve read others had to do the same in the various ports. We are departing from Vancouver next month and have to do US customs entry at the same time and it might be exactly when we need them. It’s the first cruise ever Viking has done out of Vancouver so I’d rather not be the experimental failure. 

Pushka,    I well understand your frustration with this issue.   It’s always the same for Aussies as documents must be printed, sorted (I assume in USA),  and then distributed Downunder before the local cruise line office, General Agent or Travel Agent receives them and forwards them onto us “lucky” Aussies.    Can be quite a delay for us over North American Cruisers.  

Whilst this Viking Ocean Cruise is a first with this line for us (yay, we board on Sunday in Hong Kong), we have been cruising for around 20 years and it has always been the same issue with receipt of cruise documents.    Always touch and go to receive the docs before we fly out. 

To compound the problem, a lot of Aussies  make the cruise a part of a longer holiday, as we have to fly long distances to board a cruise ship in North America, UK or Europe.     Like you, we often fly out of Australia many weeks before the cruise and enjoy a land holiday before the cruise.      For this cruise we are doing it the other way - 6 weeks in Canada and USA post cruise.  

I agree with your  sentiments that it is not the same to have a piece of printed paper over the nice cruise booklet, luggage tags and other nice little bits and pieces the cruise line forward to their pax.     

I am confident you will receive  your docs before you leave Aus, as we received ours more than a month before cruise start date.   Keep pestering your Travel Agent or Viking Australia Office, depending how you booked.  

Should they not arrive, print out the face page that opens when you log into MVJ.

I have just checked my cruise booklet against our face page in MVJ. 

It contains the same information any “officious” Port Agent may require to let you enter the terminal - Booking number, Full names, Name and date of cruise, stateroom number etc   Page 4 of the cruise booklet has all this vital info (as per MVJ) and the rest of book is “bumf” that no Port Agent would be interested in.    

I hope it all goes well for you and travel safely.     Don’t forget to wave at us as we tender off Orion in Vancouver and you likely tender onto Orion for your cruise. 

Happy cruising 😀🍾🛳⛴🚢

Rod

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Pushka,    I well understand your frustration with this issue.   It’s always the same for Aussies as documents must be printed, sorted (I assume in USA),  and then distributed Downunder before the local cruise line office, General Agent or Travel Agent receives them and forwards them onto us “lucky” Aussies.    Can be quite a delay for us over North American Cruisers.  

Whilst this Viking Ocean Cruise is a first with this line for us (yay, we board on Sunday in Hong Kong), we have been cruising for around 20 years and it has always been the same issue with receipt of cruise documents.    Always touch and go to receive the docs before we fly out. 

To compound the problem, a lot of Aussies  make the cruise a part of a longer holiday, as we have to fly long distances to board a cruise ship in North America, UK or Europe.     Like you, we often fly out of Australia many weeks before the cruise and enjoy a land holiday before the cruise.      For this cruise we are doing it the other way - 6 weeks in Canada and USA post cruise.  

I agree with your  sentiments that it is not the same to have a piece of printed paper over the nice cruise booklet, luggage tags and other nice little bits and pieces the cruise line forward to their pax.     

I am confident you will receive  your docs before you leave Aus, as we received ours more than a month before cruise start date.   Keep pestering your Travel Agent or Viking Australia Office, depending how you booked.  

Should they not arrive, print out the face page that opens when you log into MVJ.

I have just checked my cruise booklet against our face page in MVJ. 

It contains the same information any “officious” Port Agent may require to let you enter the terminal - Booking number, Full names, Name and date of cruise, stateroom number etc   Page 4 of the cruise booklet has all this vital info (as per MVJ) and the rest of book is “bumf” that no Port Agent would be interested in.    

I hope it all goes well for you and travel safely.     Don’t forget to wave at us as we tender off Orion in Vancouver and you likely tender onto Orion for your cruise. 

Happy cruising 😀🍾🛳⛴🚢

Rod

Thankyou Rod. 

I’ll be following your cruise on the Orion web camera! Bon Voyage, you will be in for a fabulous time.  Next Friday (week) after Anzac hopefully they will arrive with 2 weeks before we leave. We booked through Viking direct. I’m on the lookout!

And just like that, they have arrived by courier. The package is the best I’ve received from any cruise line. And I like my first Viking pouch. Also included a card to say we’d pre paid gratuities - part of the price in Australian bookings plus the SSP. The usual tags and baggage labels plus our booklet. It must really be happening now!  We are 5 weeks from the cruise in Alaska and 3 weeks from leaving Australia for the US. 

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

And just like that, they have arrived by courier. The package is the best I’ve received from any cruise line. And I like my first Viking pouch. Also included a card to say we’d pre paid gratuities - part of the price in Australian bookings plus the SSP. The usual tags and baggage labels plus our booklet. It must really be happening now!  We are 5 weeks from the cruise in Alaska and 3 weeks from leaving Australia for the US. 

G'day Pushka. Ours arrived today as well for departure from Bergen in mid May. The pre-paid gratuities card says it should be handed in at check-in, but on both occasions so far we have been told on-board it is not necessary (the computer system knows all!). Same for SS package.

FYI .. if you have an I-pad, the pouch is just the right size.

Yes it does make it real. Cheers, LM

Edited by Little Monty
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

G'day Pushka. Ours arrived today as well for departure from Bergen in mid May. The pre-paid gratuities card says it should be handed in at check-in, but on both occasions so far we have been told on-board it is not necessary (the computer system knows all!). Same for SS package.

FYI .. if you have an I-pad, the pouch is just the right size.

Yes it does make it real. Cheers, LM

Oh wow, yes it is a perfect fit. Thanks for that, I’d have thought the pouch was much smaller. I received the Einstein quote. Seems to be a bit of a cat fur magnet! 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Oh wow, yes it is a perfect fit. Thanks for that, I’d have thought the pouch was much smaller. I received the Einstein quote. Seems to be a bit of a cat fur magnet! 😂

Einstein quote and cat fur magnet here as well.

I forgot to add .. there has been some discussion in this forum about the need to produce the booklet in the pouch ('Cruise Documents') when you board. When we were boarding in NZ they did ask us to produce it along with our passport as we passed though security - I had it in my bag so no problems. Some people had to go searching for it.

As best as I could see .. some people could not produce it (assume it was in the luggage which was already checked in), but that didn't seem to stop them from boarding.

So I guess, keep it on you just in case. LM

• Thanks 1

Just wondering ….. the pre-paid grats card - is this something new, or is it because you booked through a ta?  

We didn't have any such card for our last cruise, however, I did take a hard copy and an electronic copy of our last invoice which clearly showed stuff such as pre-paid grats (which was 'free' for us). 

1 minute ago, Parsley Cruises said:

Just wondering ….. the pre-paid grats card - is this something new, or is it because you booked through a ta?  

We didn't have any such card for our last cruise, however, I did take a hard copy and an electronic copy of our last invoice which clearly showed stuff such as pre-paid grats (which was 'free' for us). 

hello PC .. Aussies are different in several ways so maybe it is just a local thing. 😀

We booked direct with Viking.

In Australia our price always includes gratuities (obviously the up-front figure is higher for us to cover this) but I'm not sure if your bookings are the same ? 

Our pre-paid gratuities status is in the system - so the cards are probably just to make us feel better. In NZ when we checked in they told us to keep the cards as a souvenir.

It is nothing flash .. a white card with some printing on one side, a logo, a picture of a ship, and a thank you. It does remind us that bus drivers, guides etc are not covered by the pre-paid arrangements and therefore we should tip them directly.

Regards, LM