What to do with Luggage after disembarking a Cruise in Vancouver

gagenie

I need help on what we should do with our luggage after the cruise? We disembark on June 8 and our flight doesn't leave until 10:30 pm from YVR.

We would like to sight see in Vancouver. There will be 4 of us. Would it be better to rent a car for the day? or take some kind of tour?

2 hours ago, gagenie said:

I need help on what we should do with our luggage after the cruise? We disembark on June 8 and our flight doesn't leave until 10:30 pm from YVR.

We would like to sight see in Vancouver. There will be 4 of us. Would it be better to rent a car for the day? or take some kind of tour?

We used Porter Genie to deliver our luggage to the Amtrak station.  They do deliver to the airport.  You might want to look at their website and see if it will work for you.  We were very happy with their service.

While I can't say one way or the other on the customer service perspective, since living downtown means no need for me to have ever used their services, Portergenie wins on flexibility (they'll collect and drop anywhere) but that comes at a higher cost than CDS from pier to airport where flexibility is not a factor. $40 gets your first 4 bags delivered - if you have more than that, it's $10 extra per bag. Just look for the CDS office when you disembark  -same place that folks store bags for the day also ships them to YVR on a truck and holds them at one of their offices out there (tell them your flight, they'll stash it in the office in that terminal).

Whether that is better than renting a car is pretty easy to answer - if you plan to stay out of Vancouver proper all day, a rental car is definitely an asset. If you plan to stay in town, but hit the 'burbs rather than the downtown core, it *can* be a net win to have a car (for 4 people, you'd probably win comparing parking costs to transit costs). But if you are doing the main tourist attractions in the downtown core though, a car becomes a hindrance (and unless you rent one with a big enough trunk to hide ALL your bags inside, a target for a smash & grab - which means lots of wasted time at the police station filling out forms to get your insurance to pay out!)

NB: that a flight that late means no US Preclearance - so it's pointless showing up more than 2 hours preflight. That means you have time for dinner downtown before heading to YVR - or if you are out and about with an 'airport drop' rental, maybe dinner in one of the many great Richmond Chinese restos before returning the rental car to YVR.

Thank you everyone!! I'm am checking all the options you've given me!

martincath not so sure about renting a car now didn't think about smash & grab! Mainly I think we would just be doing things around downtown maybe Stanley Park and walking around in town.

Does anyone know if the cruise will take our luggage that we put outside our room the night  before and take them directly to the airport? I am wanting to think we did this before on a cruise but I think it was in Seattle and we had a earlier flight

43 minutes ago, gagenie said:

Does anyone know if the cruise will take our luggage that we put outside our room the night  before and take them directly to the airport? I am wanting to think we did this before on a cruise but I think it was in Seattle and we had a earlier flight

It's possible, but unlikely - cruiselines *can* take luggage to the airport legally but they *cannot* put it on your flight for you (due to preclearance methods used, cameras track you putting your bag on the conveyor so when it comes to customs declaration your boarding pass/ID links to your bag, and a picture of it pops up on a screen - if CBP don't like what you declare the bag is sent to secondary inspection, if they have no problem it's released for the luggage minions to take it to the plane) liek they can at a US airport. Folks who buy the overpriced 'bags to airport, HOHO, and SkyTrain ticket' combo from cruiselines have the bags taken to YVR, but them you have to collect it from a big pile and then go check it in yourself apparently.

If you were a solo traveler the markup might be worth it - but for 4 of you it's a LOT cheaper to just assemble your own package using CDS to forward bags even if you only want to take the HOHO and SkyTrain. Last time I did the math, even a couple ended up about US$30 cheaper going DIY - and your bags get taken to a manned office, not just a cordoned-off bit of floor someone could snag them from much more easily.

17 hours ago, martincath said:

It's possible, but unlikely - cruiselines *can* take luggage to the airport legally but they *cannot* put it on your flight for you (due to preclearance methods used, cameras track you putting your bag on the conveyor so when it comes to customs declaration your boarding pass/ID links to your bag, and a picture of it pops up on a screen - if CBP don't like what you declare the bag is sent to secondary inspection, if they have no problem it's released for the luggage minions to take it to the plane) liek they can at a US airport. Folks who buy the overpriced 'bags to airport, HOHO, and SkyTrain ticket' combo from cruiselines have the bags taken to YVR, but them you have to collect it from a big pile and then go check it in yourself apparently.

If you were a solo traveler the markup might be worth it - but for 4 of you it's a LOT cheaper to just assemble your own package using CDS to forward bags even if you only want to take the HOHO and SkyTrain. Last time I did the math, even a couple ended up about US$30 cheaper going DIY - and your bags get taken to a manned office, not just a cordoned-off bit of floor someone could snag them from much more easily.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!!