Taxis and getting to/from Crystal Caves

01Sweetpea

We'll be in Bermuda at the end of May on the Escape, and looking to spend 1 day going to Crystal Caves & Tobacco Beach.  I'm thinking about doing the following:

Free ferry to St. George (unless the paid ferry has a better time)

Taxi to Crystal Caves

Taxi to Tobacco beach

Walk to St. George pier for ferry back to Dockyard

My questions are how available are taxis once we get to Crystal caves?  And what's the cost of the taxis to Crystal caves? And then to Tobacco beach?

I'm looking at taxis rather than the bus for time savings. 

Thank you, 

19 hours ago, 01Sweetpea said:

We'll be in Bermuda at the end of May on the Escape, and looking to spend 1 day going to Crystal Caves & Tobacco Beach.  I'm thinking about doing the following:

Free ferry to St. George (unless the paid ferry has a better time)

Taxi to Crystal Caves

Taxi to Tobacco beach

Walk to St. George pier for ferry back to Dockyard

My questions are how available are taxis once we get to Crystal caves?  And what's the cost of the taxis to Crystal caves? And then to Tobacco beach?

I'm looking at taxis rather than the bus for time savings. 

Thank you, 

How much do you want to pay? A taxi driver charged me and my wife $300 to go from Saint Geroge's to crystal caves, to Hamilton, then back to St George's. We told him not to wait for us and he said he would watch for us to take us back when we were ready. He wouldn't take any money and said we'd settle once back to St. George's. I said fine but to make sure the meter's not running because I'm not paying him to wait. He took the long, long way back(I watched the signs as he drove and finally told him to bring us back now!) When we got there and he said 300 dollars I told him he was out of his mind! He threatened to call the police so I sat back and said good idea! I'll wait right here while you call them and if they say I have to pay it I will! He then went to 200 then 100 and I said nope, call the police. We settled on 50! My bad for not asking before I got in. And I still felt like I got robbed!

• Thanks 1

That’s awful!!   I guess I’m naive to think the taxi system is like here in NY, a set $ amount per mile.  I’ll have to do more research to see what the average cost is for each leg and be prepared for that number. 

11 minutes ago, Waverunner1 said:

How much do you want to pay? A taxi driver charged me and my wife $300 to go from Saint Geroge's to crystal caves, to Hamilton, then back to St George's. We told him not to wait for us and he said he would watch for us to take us back when we were ready. He wouldn't take any money and said we'd settle once back to St. George's. I said fine but to make sure the meter's not running because I'm not paying him to wait. He took the long, long way back(I watched the signs as he drove and finally told him to bring us back now!) When we got there and he said 300 dollars I told him he was out of his mind! He threatened to call the police so I sat back and said good idea! I'll wait right here while you call them and if they say I have to pay it I will! He then went to 200 then 100 and I said nope, call the police. We settled on 50! My bad for not asking before I got in. And I still felt like I got robbed!

12 minutes ago, 01Sweetpea said:

That’s awful!!   I guess I’m naive to think the taxi system is like here in NY, a set $ amount per mile.  I’ll have to do more research to see what the average cost is for each leg and be prepared for that number. 

You'll be fine, I'm sure their not all crooked. Just ask before you get in.

You'll be fine, I'm sure their not all crooked. Just ask before you get in.

First time I ever heard of that happening. Not surprised though. There has been some slippage in recent years of norms as their economy has slipped. Taxi rates are metered by distance so rates are standard except higher on Sunday and holidays and late at night.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The rate to the Crystal Caves from St. George’s should be $20 to $22 for 1-4 in the taxi. From the caves to Tobacco about $21 to $23. Rates are metered to those figures are approximate.

Thank you!  I appreciate the information.