Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just remembered an interesting experience on our CB cruise.  When we got to our cabin (on embarkation day) we glanced at the cabin door to see where to go for the muster drill and noted it was Deck 7 (for the main theater).  Later that afternoon, when it was time for the drill, we headed down the steps to Deck 7.  At the bottom of the steps we were stopped by a crew member who asked "which muster station?"  It turned out that there were two different stations at that location and we had no clue which one.  With the cruise card we would have simply glanced at the card where that info is printed in large type!  With the Medallion you need a scanner :).  The crew member pulled out her scanner only to discover the battery was dead (she said it happens all the time).  After we had a good laugh she called over another crew member who came once he was done helping some others with the same problem.  That 2nd crew member scanned our Medallion but the system was lagging.  Finally, after about 30 seconds we all discovered our proper muster station.  This entire process took about 2 minutes.  Now imagine a real emergency when hundreds (or more) have the same problem!  or picture in your mind a long queue as somebody tries to scan your Medallion ...while the ship is filling with smoke (or something similar).

Hank

And in a real emergency, Murphy's Law kicks in. Not all technology is good for you. Just wait until SkyNet becomes self aware.

4 hours ago, Ms SailAway said:

A question for those who have already been on a Medallion cruise.  How often do you actually have to produce the medallion to use it?  Just to get on and off the ship?  Or is it also necessary to produce it for all of the onboard functions?  I'm trying to decide about the accessories.  Wearing it as jewelry doesn't really appeal to me but if I have to keep pulling it out of my pocket all the time, maybe I'll go that route anyway. 

Yes you need the Medallion to purchase anything on board as well as it opening your cabin door. We just purchased the watch bands and they were great.

6 hours ago, Ms SailAway said:

A question for those who have already been on a Medallion cruise.  How often do you actually have to produce the medallion to use it?  Just to get on and off the ship?  Or is it also necessary to produce it for all of the onboard functions?  I'm trying to decide about the accessories.  Wearing it as jewelry doesn't really appeal to me but if I have to keep pulling it out of my pocket all the time, maybe I'll go that route anyway. 

The same number of times that you would have had to present your cruise card. Except at your cabin door. 😉Getting coffee at IC, whether you have coffee package or not, to get on/off the ship, to show port security. To buy a tube of toothpaste at the convenience shop, to buy your DW a trinket, Get a drink at Crooners, whether you have drink package or not, play the slot machines, go to the Spa, get a specialty burger on Lido deck. I always kept my card in my pocket in a special wallet, and keep medallion in my pocket also. No problem whatever.

Jim😎

Edited by jeanandjim

Embarked Regal yesterday in Copenhagen. Check in line for those of uswith madallions was longer and significantly slower than for those without.  Medallion net a total failure. Over 30 minutes  “used” just trying to gain access.  30 minute wait at internet cafe which resulted in cancelling “250 free” minutes to purchase $10/day option.  Access to internet works slowly but no access to texting.  Back to standing in line this afternoon at the internet cafe.  The medallion itself is a joke.  Yes, it opens the cabin door.  But not much else.  Overheard one passenger say they were surprised as a store clerk address her by name and provided her with a receipt for something she had not purchased.  Thanks to the medallion.  This is a big step backwards from our Regal cruise last year.  Everyone grumbling about being “tracked.”  No one, so far, signing the medallion’s praises.  Most men just keep it in their pocket.  Women wear it as a necklace.  My spouse hates the size and refuses to wear it around her neck.  Oh, and they did provide a warning on checkin:  if you have a pacemaker DO NOT wear it around your neck!

17 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Embarked Regal yesterday in Copenhagen. Check in line for those of uswith madallions was longer and significantly slower than for those without.  Medallion net a total failure. Over 30 minutes  “used” just trying to gain access.  30 minute wait at internet cafe which resulted in cancelling “250 free” minutes to purchase $10/day option.  Access to internet works slowly but no access to texting.  Back to standing in line this afternoon at the internet cafe.  The medallion itself is a joke.  Yes, it opens the cabin door.  But not much else.  Overheard one passenger say they were surprised as a store clerk address her by name and provided her with a receipt for something she had not purchased.  Thanks to the medallion.  This is a big step backwards from our Regal cruise last year.  Everyone grumbling about being “tracked.”  No one, so far, signing the medallion’s praises.  Most men just keep it in their pocket.  Women wear it as a necklace.  My spouse hates the size and refuses to wear it around her neck.  Oh, and they did provide a warning on checkin:  if you have a pacemaker DO NOT wear it around your neck!

Hmm me thinks you are being overly negative and generalising in the extreme. Having just completed a Medallion cruise on the Royal, I agree with you re the check in lines. In fact I will not bother with Ocean Ready in future as it takes time and served no benefit at check in at all.

However as for the rest of your post, our Medallion Net was fine if not slow, but certainly easy to set up and log in. We finished a Princess land tour before our cruise that had 43 people on it. I frequently saw these people on the ship and I can honestly say not one commented about being tracked. In fact not one commented on the medallion at all. Yeah it unlocks your cabin door and it is used for purchases but no one commented either good or bad. It is just a replacement for a card as far as I'm concerned and I don't care if people know where I am and what I buying. No different to land where your phone or credit card records do exactly the same thing. Most men on our cruise had the lanyard or wrist band from my observations, but who cares if it's just kept in your pocket. Probably better than people flashing it to brag what status colour they are. As for your spouse and the size of it, the medallion lanyard is smaller slightly than the card so what is the problem there. Personally I think you are complaining for the sake of it.

2 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Probably better than people flashing it to brag what status colour they are. As for your spouse and the size of it, the medallion lanyard is smaller slightly than the card so what is the problem there. Personally I think you are complaining for the sake of it.

I think some people are just looking for an excuse to blame the Medallion system even though the problems wound still exist with the old system. 

We never used to "flash" our status but do so now. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

We were on the CB for the Aug 19 cruise.  The Medallion system offers NO advantage to the passenger other than opening your door,  It has many disadvantages.  Embarkation -we had the medallions in advance and there was no line but there was a line for people without them.  However it still took time as one of ours did not register and it took several minutes to get it to work.  Then we had to wait on the gangway.  It seems the system was slow and so there was a big line to board.  Never had that with the old fashioned cards.  When we went into a ship store one of the tablets was facing us and we could see our names and pictures so that the salespeople know who were are.  Also our names are always posted on our Medallion screen by our door so everybody knows who we are.  When we had to go to the muster station for the drill we did not know where to go since it is not on the medallion , we had to go to three crew members till one was able to help us.  As stated by someone else imagine in an emergency.  This is a disaster waiting to happen.  There was a line to get into the muster station (explorer lounge).  You guessed it.  The system was slow and there were only two people standing outside with working tablets to log us in.  People who traveled before, did not wait on line and went right in a got a seat.  They knew that crew members come around and ask who did not check in and were able to check in from their seats.  None of the venues, I repeat, none of the venues required the medallion.  Some of them did use it but they also  just asked for your name and room number which most others did.  Now since your name and room number is visible to the whole ship how long will it take for some less than honest person to take your information, go to a bar and orders drinks using your information?  I would bring some black masking tape and put it over your names on the Medallion screen by the door.  The longest lines on the ship were at the internet station as the system is difficult to maneuver.  Also most people were not aware that if your issue is just about the Medallion system there are stands in several places on the ship with people to help.  At one spot it was the the Production orchestra trombone player who was there to help.  So the system is pratically worthless for a passenger.  Overall it is slower than the old card but has an enormous advantage for the cruiseline as they can track your every position. They send you a lanyard with the medallion to keep around your neck.  So no need to keep it in your pocket (unless your prefer to) and no need to buy accessories for it (pins, watch bands, differrnt colors and flags) as it is just another way to make money.  I kept mine in my pocket and my wife kept hers in the room.  If she needed to go back to the room alone I just gave her mine.  We never had to take it out and we both wore it only to get on and off the ship.

Edited by richandcindy
typos

9 hours ago, richandcindy said:

We were on the CB for the Aug 19 cruise.  The Medallion system offers NO advantage to the passenger other than opening your door,  It has many disadvantages.  Embarkation -we had the medallions in advance and there was no line but there was a line for people without them.  However it still took time as one of ours did not register and it took several minutes to get it to work.  Then we had to wait on the gangway.  It seems the system was slow and so there was a big line to board.  Never had that with the old fashioned cards.  When we went into a ship store one of the tablets was facing us and we could see our names and pictures so that the salespeople know who were are.  Also our names are always posted on our Medallion screen by our door so everybody knows who we are.  When we had to go to the muster station for the drill we did not know where to go since it is not on the medallion , we had to go to three crew members till one was able to help us.  As stated by someone else imagine in an emergency.  This is a disaster waiting to happen.  There was a line to get into the muster station (explorer lounge).  You guessed it.  The system was slow and there were only two people standing outside with working tablets to log us in.  People who traveled before, did not wait on line and went right in a got a seat.  They knew that crew members come around and ask who did not check in and were able to check in from their seats.  None of the venues, I repeat, none of the venues required the medallion.  Some of them did use it but they also  just asked for your name and room number which most others did.  Now since your name and room number is visible to the whole ship how long will it take for some less than honest person to take your information, go to a bar and orders drinks using your information?  I would bring some black masking tape and put it over your names on the Medallion screen by the door.  The longest lines on the ship were at the internet station as the system is difficult to maneuver.  Also most people were not aware that if your issue is just about the Medallion system there are stands in several places on the ship with people to help.  At one spot it was the the Production orchestra trombone player who was there to help.  So the system is pratically worthless for a passenger.  Overall it is slower than the old card but has an enormous advantage for the cruiseline as they can track your every position. They send you a lanyard with the medallion to keep around your neck.  So no need to keep it in your pocket (unless your prefer to) and no need to buy accessories for it (pins, watch bands, differrnt colors and flags) as it is just another way to make money.  I kept mine in my pocket and my wife kept hers in the room.  If she needed to go back to the room alone I just gave her mine.  We never had to take it out and we both wore it only to get on and off the ship.

I think you're overreacting to the whole Medallion system. 

Yes there are a few problems to be worked out but nothing a tragic as described.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I think you're overreacting to the whole Medallion system. 

Yes there are a few problems to be worked out but nothing a tragic as described.

MissP22, I totally agree with you. I say give it some time and they will work out all the problems. 

Tony

We just got off the Royal and I thought the medallion worked just fine. 

We embarked very quickly from Vancouver. Going through CUSTOMS took longer but that has nothing to do with the ship. 

The internet was at times spotty in our rooms but we went to a lounge and had a drink and service seemed better. 

I only cruised once once before and I liked this better than the cards. Super easy. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, leck57 said:

Yes you need the Medallion to purchase anything on board as well as it opening your cabin door. We just purchased the watch bands and they were great.

You don't have to "present" it really. It is RF. It has a signal.  It doesn't have to be scanned like a card. It can be read right through your clothes. My husband almost never took his out of his pocket. I think you may have to physically tap it for the shops, I only bought one thing, the jewelry for the medallion, and I can't remember if there was a way to scan it without taping it. 

Day Three, 48 hours with The Medallion!

So far, no discernible  passenger benefit to The Medallion.  Yes, it unlocks the cabin door.  Not a real benefit and my spouse is concerned that the door remains unlocked after leaving the cabin (the screen shows it unlocked).

Advertising on the inside of elevator doors pushing all sorts of gambling using the medallion.  THE moneymaker from the medallion - if you have a compatible device.

Machines in the laundromat require tokens (we spent 10 days traveling Switzerland prior  to embarkation). Token machine requires medallion.  All token machines on every deck were non functional requiring purchasing of tokens from Guest Services.  Line for tokens included one elderly passenger venting at the Representative.

Safety muster required each of us to place medallion on a scanner.  Just like the cruise card.  If there is a valuable use for this technology it should be that it identifies your presence for the muster count.  Didn’t happen.

Tomorrow in port.  Will see how/if the medallion improves going ashore and returning...

We are not over reacting and merely stating facts not opinions about the medallion system as it was on our cruise.  While it could get better the medallion system was soley responsible for 1. A line the entire length of the gangway due to the slowness of the system to board the ship.  This is not the line to get your boarding materials.  We stated that since we had the medallions prior to the cruise it was faster for us but others stated the medallion line was longer than the old fashioned check in line. This was repeated getting on and off the ship at each port.  If someones medallion did not work in front of you, you had to wait until they were able to read it while the line next to you moved (sort of like being at a toll booth and the car in front of you has to wait - you cannot do anything).  We never had a delay in passing through security with the old card system.  2.  There was much confusion knowing which muster station to go to if you were not in your room when the drill was called and then there was a line to get into the muster drill room due to  slow scanning.  Never happened with a card system which lists your muster station number.  3.  Most venues did not use the system and just asked for room number.  We did not question why ourselves but others told us it was because they did not work.  You could do just fine without having it and buy anything you wanted.  4.  The token machine for the laundry did require a medallion which often times was broken (ours was) and you had to go the service desk to buy them (no medallion required).  Sorry but this is how it was for our cruise,  As far as being tracked, you appear to be in the minority if you do not mind being tracked.  Just watch the news whenever a story comes out about companies (e.g. Apple) using their software to track you.  People go beserk.  Companies are being forced to allow customers to opt out of being tracked so it must be a big deal to some people.

Edited by richandcindy
typos

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Day Three, 48 hours with The Medallion!

So far, no discernible  passenger benefit to The Medallion.  Yes, it unlocks the cabin door.  Not a real benefit and my spouse is concerned that the door remains unlocked after leaving the cabin (the screen shows it unlocked).

Advertising on the inside of elevator doors pushing all sorts of gambling using the medallion.  THE moneymaker from the medallion - if you have a compatible device.

Machines in the laundromat require tokens (we spent 10 days traveling Switzerland prior  to embarkation). Token machine requires medallion.  All token machines on every deck were non functional requiring purchasing of tokens from Guest Services.  Line for tokens included one elderly passenger venting at the Representative.

Safety muster required each of us to place medallion on a scanner.  Just like the cruise card.  If there is a valuable use for this technology it should be that it identifies your presence for the muster count.  Didn’t happen.

Tomorrow in port.  Will see how/if the medallion improves going ashore and returning...

It does sound like they've incorporated some new features into the Medallion system since the beginning of this year with a few hiccups that still need to be worked out.

Does any new system cut over with them? :classic_unsure:

What I can't understand is the advertising the gambling function inside the elevators. Did they actually have a screen inside the elevators?  

Inside elevators are door sized posters “encouraging” the use of the medallion for gambling.

This afternoon everyone had to process through the Vista lounge to be visually identified by a UK immigration official.  On arrival we had to place the medallion on a reader - just like you would with  cruise card.

Purchased two sodas at a bar and the bartender had to place my medallion on a reader on the “cash register” screen.  Just like a cruise card.  Guess now bartenders everywhere will want to bring me a soda!

it keeps getting better!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Hello, the medallion program is not perfect; but no system is. We used in on CB in Feb and had no issues at all. Medallion net was blazing fast, we used medallion to open cabin doors, buy gifts on ship, order drinks.  I guess until things get sorted out; some people will hate it and some will love it.  That's what we call 50/50

NMCruiser55;  try and go to ocean.com and see if you can change your pictures there.  If you are using an iphone  go into ocean profile and hit edit profile picture.  I just changed mine in less than 30 seconds

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello, the medallion program is not perfect; but no system is. We used in on CB in Feb and had no issues at all. Medallion net was blazing fast, we used medallion to open cabin doors, buy gifts on ship, order drinks.  I guess until things get sorted out; some people will hate it and some will love it.  That's what we call 50/50

Some cruise friends and I were chatting about the Medallion the other night and we all agreed on one point. If, during our working years, we had rolled out a program with this many issues, we would've found ourselves on the fast track to the unemployment line.  

Just imagine a self-driving car with this many issues.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during on board crew meetings to see what they really think. We are on for a limited time while they are on for months at a time.

SargassoPirate;  you probably are correct; however, if you worked for the Gov't you would not have been fired.  Take the Affordable Care Act.  That program crashed on day one and the cost to fix it was more than you can imagine.  Have faith it will improve with time.  Software patches or whatever.  I think once the Sky and Enchanted both roll out; then Princess can find out what works well on those ships and how to patch or fix it on their other ships. I scratch my head and wonder; how can Disneyworld use their magic bands to open you room door, buy food at all their dining facilities, and in the gift shops;  they don't have wiring all over.  They use satellites.

Edited by AF-1