Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

Question about the Medallion Class app on Android phones

I downloaded the app on a Samsung Galaxy (android) and on an Iphone and an I pad. On the Iphone and Ipad the OCEANREADY Pass is displayed on a single screen (no scrolling required) so you can save a screenshot of the entire pass. 

On the android phones (2 different ones) the OCEANREADY pass shows the name and voyage information and the top part of the QR code block. You have to scroll down to see the entire QR block but then the name and part of the passenger information is missing.  I called the ocean navigator line and asked if I could just capture the QR code and they said no, that the entire OCEANREADY pass would need to be captured. I know that I can just use the printed boarding pass and I have that printed out but it is really frustrating to have the app say you need to do  screen capture of the pass and then the app makes it impossible. 

jjr718;  that is frustrating.  Seems like Apple makes it easy;  do you have your QR code on an iphone or ipad?  If so; then take a screen shot of that and add it to your photos.  When you get to port you only need to show a picture of the QR code and green check marks, you don't have to open it up in app

Edited by AF-1

6 minutes ago, ehogan said:

On Medallion ships, will there still be priority lines for Platinum or Elite cruisers on boarding?

There was, but we were told since we already had our Medallions we weren’t allowed to use it. The priority line was completely empty and the Medallion line was really long. They definitely needed a Priority with Medallion line. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ehogan said:

On Medallion ships, will there still be priority lines for Platinum or Elite cruisers on boarding?

For boarding in LA there were still separate areas for Platinum & Elite passengers to wait to board before the non-Priority passengers.  

For checking in there were only lines for passengers who had their Medallions and another line for passengers without a Medallion.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

SargassoPirate;  you probably are correct; however, if you worked for the Gov't you would not have been fired.  Take the Affordable Care Act.  That program crashed on day one and the cost to fix it was more than you can imagine.  Have faith it will improve with time.  Software patches or whatever.  I think once the Sky and Enchanted both roll out; then Princess can find out what works well on those ships and how to patch or fix it on their other ships. I scratch my head and wonder; how can Disneyworld use their magic bands to open you room door, buy food at all their dining facilities, and in the gift shops;  they don't have wiring all over.  They use satellites.

Agree.  Anytime a new system is rolled out there will be bugs to work out.  I'm sure some have had issues.  Others I suspect just don't like change.  At any rate the disgruntled are more likely to be heard from than the satisfied.

My DW and I are doing our first Medallion cruise in 11 days.  So far I have had no issues.  Setting up Ocean Ready was a breeze.  We received our medallions last week.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Two additional observations from yesterday:

People ordering drinks while waiting for the show to start in the theater had to provide their medallion to the waiter.  He then wrote down the number from the back of the medallion on a small pad before going for the drinks.  No different from using a cruise card - except you don’t  sign a receipt or get one.

Princess has eliminated their eco power feature in cabins.  Used to have to insert your cruise card in a slot on entering your cabin to activate power/lights.  Now a card is permanently in the slot and power on...  A step back to accommodate the medallion? 

Touring Scottish highlands today...😀

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

4 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

T

Princess has eliminated their eco power feature in cabins.  Used to have to insert your cruise card in a slot on entering your cabin to activate power/lights.  Now a card is permanently in the slot and power on...  A step back to accommodate the medallion? 

Not on my recent medallion cruise. There was a card however every time the steward came to service the room the card was left on top of the slot rather than inserted, therefore the power isn't permanently on as you suggest.

I get that you don't like the medallion (and quite frankly I don't care whether they have it or not) but many of your negative posts about it do not appear to reflect the actual case.

Edited by leck57
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Two additional observations from yesterday:

People ordering drinks while waiting for the show to start in the theater had to provide their medallion to the waiter.  He then wrote down the number from the back of the medallion on a small pad before going for the drinks.  No different from using a cruise card - except you don’t  sign a receipt or get one.

Touring Scottish highlands today...😀

#1. We've never had numbers on the back of the Medallions. Are you sure the waiter didn't wright down their names?

#2. The card inside the cabin really had no connection to the Medallion system in the past. If you left any card in the slot, it keep power on. Sometimes the steward left it in, other-times not. 

It seems that they could possibly integrate it to the Medallions some day but when we cruised it was completely independent. 

10 minutes ago, Bernabei203 said:

Does anyone know if the Medallion app has the MDR menus for the week on it or will I still have to goto the desk to get that?

Unfortunately they don't. We go past the DR during the day to see what they'll be serving.

Seems that it would be a real benefit to have it displayed on your phone or tablet.

Even on the cabin TV would be OK with me.

There are a few evenings in the DR that I don't care for at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BIGADORF said:

Out of curiosity, if you just get a medallion with the lanyard, is there any charge (shipping, handling, etc) to have it shipped to your house?

No charge if you live in the US.  If you live outside the US, you’ll have to pick it up at the port. 

Day touring northern Scotland was great.  Good weather (for Scotland).

Getting off and back on the ship with the medallion is no different from a cruise card.  Medallion must be placed on a sensor in front of the security person in both cases.  Security matches your security photo they took on embarkation, not your avatar, to your face.

Two ports next two days.  The upcoming five day pond crossing will likely provide more information on the medallion’s usefulness compared to a cruise card.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

We cruised on The Regal in February.  There was no wait at all boarding with our Medallions--we literally walked right on the ship.  A rep. just took a quick look at our passports, looked at our ocean ready boarding pass and scanned our medallions.  I did see a fairly long line for those who did not have their medallions and I was so glad we were able to walk right on the ship.  What a great way to start our cruise.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, dcruisers said:

So to confirm......in order to get apps you have to use their WiFI or a separate system?  I really don’t want to be forced to purchase internet.

A d you take your own picture at home and scan your pass?  They don’t do it at the pier? ( we don’t have a scanner)

Thank you all for taking time to give me info!!

I used a photo of my wife and myself I had on my computer with the Ocean Ready app. The Ocean Ready smart phone app will act as a scanner to scan your passport page.

Most of the things discussed on this forum as far as Medallion stuff does not require an internet package, it uses the ships local network....you can't check email and such with it (as far as I know) but it may be useful for on board things like tracking a friend on the ship, checking the daily patter, etc. Keep in mind I've not been on a Medallion ship yet........

Regarding the muster stations; is that information still printed on the placard on the inside of each cabin door? I figure that never changes from cruise to cruise, no matter who is in that cabin. Yes, the muster station was on the "old" cruise cards, and apparently not on the Medallions, but I always check the cabin door on the way to muster drill anyway....I'd trust that more than the cruise card, but in 40 cruises (not all Princess) they have always matched.....so far so good. 😎

40 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Regarding the muster stations; is that information still printed on the placard on the inside of each cabin door? I figure that never changes from cruise to cruise, no matter who is in that cabin. Yes, the muster station was on the "old" cruise cards, and apparently not on the Medallions, but I always check the cabin door on the way to muster drill anyway....I'd trust that more than the cruise card, but in 40 cruises (not all Princess) they have always matched.....so far so good. 😎

Still on the back of the cabin door!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, idahospud said:

Still on the back of the cabin door!

Regarding the muster stations .....

Thanks for that confirmation. It's not hard for us to just read that, memorize it, and not worry if it's on the card or medallion. Hopefully our memories will remain intact........😉

• Like 1