Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

31 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

I have another question.  On some of the ships there were these kiosks where you could swipe your card and get a print out of all charges that you've made on the ship.  How do you get that with the Medallion?

Sure. Once on board the ship you can use the ships app called ocean compass.  This app allows you to see the daily patters, your cabin folio, and order room service.  You can also go to to Internet cafe and log into your ocean.com account and print off your bill. If you need help with printing you can check with the guys at Internet cafe.  They will be glad to help you print something out. 

Is it possible to NOT carry your phone around with you?  I'm on vacation, I don't want to be staring at my phone all day / night.  Can we still get the paper Patter?  DH & I like to read it while having breakfast.  We don't want to be sitting there staring at our phones.  The paper Patter is just easier.  Just open it and, viola, there's the whole day.  I know you can get the same thing through your phone, but I'm old fashioned and prefer the paper version.

• Like 5

Denali2003,  you can leave your phone in your safe. You don't have to use phone to have fun with the medallion. The daily paper patters are available in your cabin each night.  However, like most newspapers, where you can read NY Times, Wall Street, USA Today online;  the daily patters will most likely be gone within next three -five years; once Princess has all ships ocean medallion ready. Don't worry keep your phone in safe;  you can use the touch screens at all the elevators;  they have the daily patters, you can access your room bill; etc.  There is a place next to all the screens where you touch your medallion to to activate the touchscreen.  On Caribbean Princess you could not access your room folio on the tv; you had to use the app on your smart phone to see how much you are spending.  I went to guest services and they told me that once the ship went total medallion; that option was no longer avail on the tv

Edited by AF-1

2 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

I have another question.  On some of the ships there were these kiosks where you could swipe your card and get a print out of all charges that you've made on the ship.  How do you get that with the Medallion?

I just got off the Royal this past Saturday. There were 2 kiosks on deck 5 near the Passenger Services desk. All you do is press your Medallion on the appropriate place on the screen and it prints out your charges as usual. 

• Like 1

2 questions:

1- will I be able to add my food allergy or will I still have to meet with maitre d on embarkation day

2- can I FINALLY track how many lattes I've had on my coffee 'card'?

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, Repeates said:

Are there special wristbands or holders to carry the medallions?

From the videos I've seen, yes.  You can either wear it on your wrist (like a watch) or on a lanyard

I have another question.  Was watching a video on You Tube - this guy who was on the Regal in Feb posted a video of him around the ship with the Medallion.  He said that there was a card slot inside the cabin in which to turn the lights on & off.  He said they provided a card for you to put in there.  I wonder if they did away with that for the SKY.  Has anyone been on a Princess ship where you needed a card to turn the lights on & off?  I never have.

15 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

This has always been available to look at on the ship's intranet.  If you sign into your account on the princess app, you can see up to date information about ship charges (and will not use wifi minutes)

1 hour ago, Denali2003 said:

I have another question.  Was watching a video on You Tube - this guy who was on the Regal in Feb posted a video of him around the ship with the Medallion.  He said that there was a card slot inside the cabin in which to turn the lights on & off.  He said they provided a card for you to put in there.  I wonder if they did away with that for the SKY.  Has anyone been on a Princess ship where you needed a card to turn the lights on & off?  I never have.

Yes, they now have a small card in there for you to use to turn off the lights and such.  Prior to the medallion they wanted you to use your card (I personally always bought an old hotel key card for this) but now with the medallion there is a small card in the slot for this reason.

10 hours ago, Repeates said:

Yes, you can a lanyard which has a holder for the medallion.  They have brought back the wristbands and some have been successful and ordering those rather than the wrist band for free.  Otherwise it's $10.  They sell necklaces and bracelets as well as a clip holder.  

You can also simply just carry the medallion in the small plastic case (or take it out of the case) in your pocket or purse. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes, you can a lanyard which has a holder for the medallion.  They have brought back the wristbands and some have been successful and ordering those rather than the wrist band for free.  Otherwise it's $10.  They sell necklaces and bracelets as well as a clip holder.  

You can also simply just carry the medallion in the small plastic case (or take it out of the case) in your pocket or purse. 

If you keep it in your purse, do you have to take it out to scan it when you purchase drinks or merchandise?  For example, I will have the Soda package - when I walk up to a bar will it automatically "register" or will I have to physically scan it?

2 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

If you keep it in your purse, do you have to take it out to scan it when you purchase drinks or merchandise?  For example, I will have the Soda package - when I walk up to a bar will it automatically "register" or will I have to physically scan it?

Not answering as someone who has used it but done enough research to know the answer to this one - the only place you just have to have it nearby is getting into your room.  You'll have to take it out to scan it for purchases, lest people walking by start paying for stuff by accident.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

For purchases you will have to take it out and put in on the medallion scanner.  If you have ever used Disney's technology, it's the basically the same.  You place the medallion up against "reader" which is a round circle and it reads your medallion.  

• Like 1

To add to what Host CJSKIDS said; in the bar, pool, gift shops, photo gallery; you will have a magnetic scanner which is what you lay or put your medallion near.  If you have an iphone or apple watch and have used apple pay in stores; it is the same principal.  The scanner activates as your medallion gets near.  If you go into a bar and order a drink by yourself the bartender will ask for you to place your medallion near the scanner.  If you have more questions please ask

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

To add to what Host CJSKIDS said; in the bar, pool, gift shops, photo gallery; you will have a magnetic scanner which is what you lay or put your medallion near.  If you have an iphone or apple watch and have used apple pay in stores; it is the same principal.  The scanner activates as your medallion gets near.  If you go into a bar and order a drink by yourself the bartender will ask for you to place your medallion near the scanner.  If you have more questions please ask

Hi, does anyone know if it is safe for a person fitted with a pacemaker to use these medallions. I have seen conflicting answers to this and am becoming quite concerned as to whether we will be able to book with Princess in future. 

17 hours ago, Repeates said:

Here’s a photo of our recently received Medallion’s free lanyard & holder.

The other photo shows the aftermarket Fitbit wristbands that some have purchased through Amazon for a couple of dollars.  It’s not a perfect fit but passengers who’ve posted were happy with them...we purchased an aftermarket Fitbit clip.

DCFFB870-9B9C-4907-956F-51E4E85B80D7.jpeg

CBD89805-F27B-4D17-9E70-FB788D06C109.jpeg

• Like 1

Available onboard but don’t know about purchasing in advance.  The last photo shows the $3 inserts available for purchase for different Captain’s Circle inserts for the lanyard holder.  These were taken by HBCruiser & are from her excellent Live from the Royal thread.

418E411B-CCEA-4F6A-AB11-1832D016D156.jpeg

271904DB-B9FC-4B07-9563-94387EE2D8BF.jpeg

D29BD832-E339-4187-984F-87871503AFA7.jpeg

9B4ABC8A-1EEE-495E-A87F-E68E0F2CD702.jpeg

89569544-C791-45EB-A0A4-72040F26D639.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

Weird, my question I posted earlier disappeared.

How do we now know what table we are assigned for TD?  It used to say on our cruise cards but it does not show on the medallion. 

Posts have said we’ll have a card in our cabin with table assignment.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am traveling with a friend and I have my ocean ready all set up, but ocean ready will not recognize my friend when she tried to set hers up.  All the information in the Cruise Personalizer is complete, so we must be doing something wrong.  Any advice from my techy cruisers?  

7 hours ago, Poohbear5701 said:

I am traveling with a friend and I have my ocean ready all set up, but ocean ready will not recognize my friend when she tried to set hers up.  All the information in the Cruise Personalizer is complete, so we must be doing something wrong.  Any advice from my techy cruisers?  

1-844-525-0942 is the phone number for the Ocean Ready Department at Princess.  They should be able to help your friend get ocean ready.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:15 AM, Denali2003 said:

There are places where you can keep the Medallion on. I am on the Royal right now. The Gelato place and the bar with across from Seawalk for sure. Like the displays by the elevators which show who is near, the bartender can see who is nearby and recognize your security photo.  They confirm your name before they charge.