Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Not a big deal.  When you come back on the ship; you place medallion on the scanner and your security photo pops up on the security officers screen.  Same as when you used a key card.  We were in Cozumel in Feb on Caribbean Princess;  did not have any additional id with us, just the medallion

I didn't mean the ship's security staff, but the local port security. I can't imagine that they would buy the scanners and networking apparatus to tie in with the ship? Or maybe Princess has given that to each port authority as they inaugurate the "Medallion" program?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, crows nest club said:

UK cruiser - maybe it's just me  but trying to enter my address details and is asking for zip code in.. Tried putting my postcode in but won't accept it. Anyone else?

I'm in Canada and had the same issue. It will only accept letters but our Postal Codes are alternating letters and numbers

Just now, PaperSniper4 said:

I didn't mean the ship's security staff, but the local port security. I can't imagine that they would buy the scanners and networking apparatus to tie in with the ship? Or maybe Princess has given that to each port authority as they inaugurate the "Medallion" program?

In our experience, port rent-a-cops never formally "scanned" either a Medallion or a cruise card, they just wanted to see it to allow you to advance further onto the ship, where SHIP security scanned the device. On our first Medallion cruise, last month, we just showed the disc to the port security and all was well. That being said, IIRC there have been one or two isolated reports of a lone port security guard refusing to allow someone past with a Medallion and was demanding a cruise card, but I imagine any incidents like that would have been fixed very quickly

22 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

In our experience, port rent-a-cops never formally "scanned" either a Medallion or a cruise card, they just wanted to see it to allow you to advance further onto the ship, where SHIP security scanned the device. On our first Medallion cruise, last month, we just showed the disc to the port security and all was well. That being said, IIRC there have been one or two isolated reports of a lone port security guard refusing to allow someone past with a Medallion and was demanding a cruise card, but I imagine any incidents like that would have been fixed very quickly

"...On our first Medallion cruise, last month, we just showed the disc to the port security and all was well. ..."

Ah ha, that answers my question, thanks!

22 minutes ago, jdpottle said:

I'm in Canada and had the same issue. It will only accept letters but our Postal Codes are alternating letters and numbers

Actually, I just went in to Ocean.com and was able to input my correct Postal Code, including both letters and numbers. When I checked the OceanReady app, it is updated there as well

1 hour ago, christinelee said:

Is there a post that list which ships have the Medallion ?

Thanks in advance.

Based on a potentially dated article I've got the following list....

Crown, Golden, Ruby, Regal, Royal, Caribbean, Island.

Again, that's potentially not 100% exact but I believe it's grenade-close.

47 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Based on a potentially dated article I've got the following list....

Crown, Golden, Ruby, Regal, Royal, Caribbean, Island.

Again, that's potentially not 100% exact but I believe it's grenade-close.

Actually, the only Medallion Class ships are the Royal, Regal, and Caribbean Princess. Crown is scheduled to be Medallion Class in July.  The new ships - Sky Princess in October and Enchanted next year - will also be Medallion Class.

Edited by idahospud

2 hours ago, christinelee said:

Thanks in advance.

Royal, Regal, and Caribbean Princess are Medallion Class ships. Crown is scheduled to be up next in July.  The new ships - Sky Princess in October and Enchanted next year - will also be Medallion Class.

Edited by idahospud

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The paper tag is easily removed and one of the first things we do when we arrive at our cabin.

Clearly I’m missing something.  Would someone please enlighten me? 

I don’t see any issue with a bunch of strangers seeing my name (yet another stranger) posted outside my cabin door along with thousands of others up and down the halls. 

Are they going to somehow steal my identity because they know my name??

Edited by Ep010835

Perhaps someone traveling alone is worried about stalking. Or they don't want it obvious there is only one person in the cabin, or only children, or only females. Or they have met someone on the ship they would prefer could not find them.

Does the find a shipmate software allow you to find just anyone? I didn't think it did so is the paper issue much different. (Of course, finding someone using the software versus going up every hall on every cabin deck requires much less effort.)

:classic_unsure:

How would the door tag be different than the little black piece of paper with 1 name on it?

Or they have met someone on the ship they would prefer could not find them.

this I understand 

Edited by Ombud

7 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Does the find a shipmate software allow you to find just anyone? I didn't think it did so is the paper issue much different. (Of course, finding someone using the software versus going up every hall on every cabin deck requires much less effort.)

:classic_unsure:

You can find the other person in your cabin (assuming they did not turn off the location feature). In order to find someone else, you both have to grant permission in the app somehow.

8 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Perhaps someone traveling alone is worried about stalking. Or they don't want it obvious there is only one person in the cabin, or only children, or only females. Or they have met someone on the ship they would prefer could not find them.

OK. This makes sense to me. But still, 1556 cabins over all those passenger decks on the CB for example would make for a lot of looking. 

8 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Does the find a shipmate software allow you to find just anyone? 

Yes and no. 

Shipmate WILL allow you to find anyone (their OM device, more correctly)

But ONLY when the person being found specifically allows it to happen. 

One CANNOT pick a stranger in the crowd, so to speak, and find/track that person. 

13 hours ago, christinelee said:

Thanks in advance.

The MedallionClass webpage lists current status:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

Princess MedallionClass Ships: Caribbean Princess® | Regal Princess® | Royal Princess®

Coming soon to:  Crown Princess® (7/24/19), Sky Princess® (10/12/19), Ruby Princess® (1/27/20), Grand Princess® (3/29/20), Enchanted Princess®(6/15/20), Emerald Princess® (8/16/20), Coral Princess® (10/16/20), and Island Princess® (12/20/20).

MedallionNet is currently available on: Caribbean Princess®Coral Princess®Island Princess®Regal Princess®Ruby Princess® and Royal Princess®ships.

Coming soon throughout 2019: Crown Princess® by July 12, Emerald Princess® by August 3, Sky Princess® by October 27, Golden Princess® by December 20 and Enchanted Princess® by June 19, 2020.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 5/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, Repeates said:

I keep getting the same message when I am trying to set up our account for the first time. It also says my birth date is invalid when I try to register from my phone app. 

about 30-40 days before cruise your booking number will be loaded onto Ocean Ready. Until then, it doesn't always work correctly. sometimes you  also see a note at top of booking that you can enter info. 

you can also try using  ocean.com

Is there 1 app where I can access all the other apps or is each one independent of the others? 

I'm on 2 Medallion Cruises (Caribbean 7/27/19 & Royal 10/14/19) and that would simplify things so just wondering 

3 minutes ago, Gayl4b said:

Is there 1 app where I can access all the other apps or is each one independent of the others? 

I'm on 2 Medallion Cruises (Caribbean 7/27/19 & Royal 10/14/19) and that would simplify things so just wondering 

Integrating all of the apps into a single one would be logical and simple to use.

Holding one's breath for that would turn us all as blue as the Sea Witch.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Absolutely wonderful video!! 

Exceptionally well done and full of very accurate and useful information. 

This should be required viewing for all “Medallion Newbies”!

Thank you for taking the time to do this. 😃😃

Thank you! I've also added one to YouTube for non-Cruise Critic members. I hope it will answer a lot of those unknowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but couldn't seem to find it anywhere:

DH and I have just one email account we both use. When setting up the OceanReady accounts, ect, will we both be able to get "ready" with the one account? I assume it's just tied to single booking for all parties in said booking? 

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but couldn't seem to find it anywhere:

DH and I have just one email account we both use. When setting up the OceanReady accounts, ect, will we both be able to get "ready" with the one account? I assume it's just tied to single booking for all parties in said booking? 

Thank you. 

Whatever the number in our party, I get all pax Ocean Ready using only my email address.