Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

Here is the latest video from Princess. It explains the most current process for getting ocean medallion ready;  it tells you how to create profile in the app; how many months in advance you can complete the info(no more than two months prior). and How to scan passport info; should you choose to use the app.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richmke said:

Using the Ocean App, the passport is scanned BY your phone into the Ocean system. It is not retained on your phone (not saved in your photos). No different from Princess scanning your passport into the Ocean system, or you entering the information into the Princess (your princess account) or Ocean system.

I keep a copy of my passport scanned on my phone, just in case I loose the passport. You can show that to the Embassy/Consulate office to get a new one, or to Immigration/Passport Control to help get back into the USA.The only sensitive data is your birthday. If you are worried about that, cover the birthday before saving it to your phone.

You are correct except for covering the birth date, What is being scanned into the Ocean Ready app is the code at the bottom of the page so there is no option to block any information from the passport. 

Also, there is a State Department app for your passport in which you enter Passport information and pictures called Mobile Passport. You activate it just before you disembark and you get to use a special line which is much faster and shorter than the line for the regular passport holders. On our last cruise on the Regal we self disembarked, used the app and were off the ship and in a cab in less than 15 minutes. Probably would have gone a couple of minutes faster, but the agent went old school on us and wanted to see our physical passports. 

Edited by Doug R.

Is medallion free ? Do you HAVE to have it? Not interested in being tied to my phone all trip. And, it feels a bit intrusive, even though I see there are some perks. I do wonder if all the waiters will be busy running drinking to people sitting on ship ordering from medaliion and service will be non existent for people without.

How do you order a medallion? If they want everyone to have one why don't they just ship them out automatically? 

Medallion is free. If you don't order it in advance, you pick it up when you check-in/board.

It replaces your cruise card. You are not tied to your phone. The Medallion provides your location information to the ship so certain Ocean Apps can "enhance" your cruise experiences. For instance, you can order drinks from your phone (and they know where to deliver the drink), or locate other people in your party. Your choice if you want to carry your phone for those features.

You will need the Medallion to unlock your cabin door, charge stuff to your account, and get back on the ship after a port day.

> If they want everyone to have one why don't they just ship them out automatically? 

If you are not expecting the Medallion, you might leave it at home. It also gives them the opportunity to upsell you one of the medallion holders. You also have to complete the check-in process in order to have it shipped to you. So, if you don't complete the check-in process, no Medallion in advance.

Edited by richmke

On 4/16/2019 at 11:38 AM, lx200gps said:

You're not annoying at all, you and I seem to share the same concerns about the new "technology" and its possible invasiveness. We're boarding the Royal next Saturday for our first experience with OM. Until I sort out what it does and doesn't do, I'll be hiding myself by "cloaking" the Medallion and only bringing it out when needed i.e. buying things, opening our cabin door and getting on and off the ship. I really don't want crew members calling me by name from a tablet, or contributing to Princess's data mining, that simply isn't very appealing at all. 

From what I’ve seen on Princess videos, you don’t ‘t Need to pull the Medallion out for it to work.  They said it could be in your pocket or purse and open your cabin door, etc. 

4 minutes ago, sashas_mom said:

From what I’ve seen on Princess videos, you don’t ‘t Need to pull the Medallion out for it to work.  They said it could be in your pocket or purse and open your cabin door, etc. 

Supposed to work that way but some on cruises last week reported it did not work in their pocket and they actually had to touch it to the cabin door screen.

35 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Supposed to work that way but some on cruises last week reported it did not work in their pocket and they actually had to touch it to the cabin door screen.

Also the cabin door is the ONLY place it's supposed to work without removing it from your pocket/purse.  As colo points out it seems the success rate is under 100%.  To make purchases or scan into other places you have to take it out and hold it up to a scanner.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:30 AM, voljeep said:

can my wife take my medallion - with the PBP included - to a bar to get me a beer ? she will not have the package

and will just pay as she goes ... we've done this for each other in the past with the cards with no problems

i'm guessing it will be like all things Princess - maybe, it depends ... we will do this mainly during the day at the

pool bars - Outrigger and Tradewinds on the CB

Interesting question. If she orders a drink for herself at the same time I would think it would be no problem. If she just used your medallion to order a drink how do they know you aren't just sharing the package? Seems like a valid question to me. Hopefully someone with actual experience will be able to give you a definitive answer.

We were on the 2/9 Regal sailing.  I kept my medallion in my beach bag or purse and my door opened when I walked up to it.  The only time I took it out was for the ship's crew to scan it going off and on the ship or to print our ship bill at the kiosk by guest services (to check the charges).  I left my phone turned off and in our safe.

Does the medallion work as a boarding pass when embarking the first day?

If so, is there any way (using or not using the medallion) that our two adult children can board with us? (We are platinum and have priority boarding, but they are first time cruisers.)

42 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

If so, is there any way (using or not using the medallion) that our two adult children can board with us? (We are platinum and have priority boarding, but they are first time cruisers.)

Yes, your adult children can board with as they are in your group.

1 hour ago, Orlando Vic said:

48 minutes ago, denims said:

Yes, your adult children can board with as they are in your group.

I would make sure your bookings are linked. If they aren't already either your TA or Princess can link them for you.

Can you interact between the medallion and your cell phone with the ship's wifi - so keeping your phone on "airplane mode" and not using the internet.  So being able to order drinks on your phone,  find other friends/family on the ship on your phone -  without internet.

1 hour ago, Nettiebell said:

Can you interact between the medallion and your cell phone with the ship's wifi - so keeping your phone on "airplane mode" and not using the internet.  So being able to order drinks on your phone,  find other friends/family on the ship on your phone -  without internet.

"Airplane Mode" will turn off your Cellular connection, and usually also turns off your wifi. After putting in Airplane Mode, you need to turn back on your wifi and connect to the Ship's wifi. Then you can use one of the Ocean apps to order drinks from your phone, and a different Ocean app to find your friends/family.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, richmke said:

"Airplane Mode" will turn off your Cellular connection, and usually also turns off your wifi. After putting in Airplane Mode, you need to turn back on your wifi and connect to the Ship's wifi. Then you can use one of the Ocean apps to order drinks from your phone, and a different Ocean app to find your friends/family.

So does that mean you are using up your minutes when you use these apps? I was wondering that too.  

Just now, sashas_mom said:

So does that mean you are using up your minutes when you use these apps? I was wondering that too.  

Logout of the app that connects you to the Internet (as opposed to the ship's Intranet), and you won't use up your internet minutes.

1 hour ago, richmke said:

Logout of the app that connects you to the Internet (as opposed to the ship's Intranet), and you won't use up your internet minutes.

Unless of course you have an unlimited plan.

I always try and get the unlimited then I stay logged in 24/7 and no more worry.  😎

2 hours ago, richmke said:

Sorry, this is confusing to me.  One of the exciting new features is to order drinks, food or whatever with your Medallion and phone.  We are Elite and get free minutes but I would hate to use them up just so someone can bring a drink to me without having to order it from a waiter.  Is that the understanding?  Also, does anyone know if will there still be waiters taking our orders? 

2 minutes ago, sashas_mom said:

Sorry, this is confusing to me.  One of the exciting new features is to order drinks, food or whatever with your Medallion and phone.  We are Elite and get free minutes but I would hate to use them up just so someone can bring a drink to me without having to order it from a waiter.  Is that the understanding?  Also, does anyone know if will there still be waiters taking our orders? 

The app will work without using internet minutes. I suspect waiter/waitress presence will be as usual. They might be even more noticeable as they’ll be out and about a lot more often delivering drinks to medallion orders.  I don’t recall seeing a lot of waiters walking around taking orders out on pool decks in the past I’ve always just walked down to the bar.

2 hours ago, sashas_mom said:

We won't be on a Medallion class until January (on the Sky) but from my research, all of the Princess Medallion Class Apps can be used without using internet minutes.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

We won't be on a Medallion class until January (on the Sky) but from my research, all of the Princess Medallion Class Apps can be used without using internet minutes.

Yes. As others have explained the app uses the INTRANET which is free not the INTERNET which tracks minutes used

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, shutterbug63 said:

Very frustrated with the  app.  I still cannot get it to recognize my booking number. We are 47 days out from our sailing.  I've made three phone calls to the "Ocean Navigator" line and I keep being told call back in a week and they've opened a ticket.

I'm wondering if the problem is my device, although I can't get it to add on the ocean website either. Anyone else with a Samsung Galaxy having issues?

Is there someone else that has a phone you can use to download the OceanReady app so that you can at least get yourself registered and your Medallion ordered?  If not, it will be available for you to pick up at the pier when you check in!

Be careful with airplane mode and roaming. I was a little careless less week on Royal Princess to Mexican Riveria. I had bought the unlimited internet and also paid for $5 a day roaming in Mexico. Have wifi enabled calling on our phones as well. 

But I ended on roaming on the ship's maritime cell network one night when I called my mom on the ship thinking I was using wifi enabled call. $18 for 4 minutes. Doh. I caught myself because I saw MarineTimeNet or something like that on my cell phone network. I can see how it could get expensive if I didn't pay attention or a teenager. 

But Medallion for the most part worked well. Wore it on my wrist on a Fitbit Zip case. Opened door without putting in on the screen. Also went to Guest Services to enable my Medallion to open the other cabin in our group because I was tired of knocking.  Was able to order in some places without putting it on the scanner. The bartender could tell who was nearby on his screen and just confirmed my name.