Gem - Bermuda - Price Reduction

RealSoxFan

Booked mid ship mini suite on Gem for May through cruise only TA.  Price dropped $300 pp.  TA says NCL will offer $60 onboard credit only

to compensate for pricing change. Any advice how to get better compensated or upgraded or who to speak with at NCL.  Been on 40+ cruises, first time for everything. Ruining my 70th BD celebration already.

Edited by RealSoxFan

They owe nothing after final payment, sometimes you n get a small amount of obc or upgrade your cabin. It’s pretty standard across the industry.

You TA owns your reservation, NCL won’t talk to you.

Edited by mjkacmom

We had a price drop after final payment and were able to switch to a better cabin with no problem. There are a few rules, most importantly the new price per person had to match or exceed the old price per person. We ended up paying a very small amount to go from an OV to a balcony. And we kept all our OBC, Free at Sea choices, and dining reservations. It took a little time on the phone but they were very nice about it. I just called the regular line, not a special number or person and they were happy to help. You should call!

We booked directly with NCL. I guess they can see that when they pull up the reservation, they have never asked me how I booked. I would try calling directly and asking if there is something they can do. It can't hurt. I find when I'm the sweetest, nicest, most polite version of me I get really good service 😉

We had a similar thing happen 2 years ago & were able to get bumped up to a balcony at no extra charge.  We booked directly with our CC who really went the "extra mile" for us on this occasion (we wrote Mr. DelRio a nice letter commending the CC also!)

Bottom line is after the final payment & the price drops you're pretty much outta luck, especially if you've booked with a TA rather than NCL itself.  That's why we try & book with our CC so that IF a significant drop occurs the CC will act as our go-between & can usually accomplish more as they're on the "inside" and know which buttons to push.

Good luck!

Do not let it ruin your birthday.  If you were comfortable paying the price from the start then make peace with it if you can’t get an upgrade or more on board credit.  This happens with most non peak season cruises, they have sales to move inventory left.  I think most cruisers have been through this, myself included.  Just have a good vacation.

• Like 1

I just had the same issue. They gave me $50 total OBC for a $100 per person price drop for first 2 in the room.   They would not give anything for the 3rd which also dropped.

I didn't expect the whole thing, as was previously said, they didn't have to give me anything.  The rep told me the typical compensation if OBC is 25%.  I paid a price i was comfortable with and they were kind enough to accommodate me with a small OBC when it went down.  I kept the room i wanted in a better location than what i would have gotten waiting for the lower price.  I think they were fair with me.  

To the OP, enjoy your cruise, and except the $60 as found money.   I look at it as covering 1/2 of my sons soda package.

Edited by keep on cruisin

12 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Just curious..... if the price went up $300 would you post on here asking where to send NCL the check?  Probably not.

I believe you are referring to business principle of supply and demand.  NCL has determined demand for this sailing to be lower than anticipated so reduced price.  In business if this occurs,the consumer is refunded the variance.  I am seeking no refund, just a complimentary upgrade to next cabin catagory.

Called NCL.  Said if booked through them, they would accommodate me.  Had no record of TA calling them.  Lesson learned, book through NCL.

Have benefitted from price increase on high demand sailings booked early.  Supply and demand. It works.

1 hour ago, RealSoxFan said:

I believe you are referring to business principle of supply and demand.  NCL has determined demand for this sailing to be lower than anticipated so reduced price.  In business if this occurs,the consumer is refunded the variance.  I am seeking no refund, just a complimentary upgrade to next cabin catagory.

Called NCL.  Said if booked through them, they would accommodate me.  Had no record of TA calling them.  Lesson learned, book through NCL.

Have benefitted from price increase on high demand sailings booked early.  Supply and demand. It works.

How exactly would NCL have accommodated you?  A complimentary upgrade, more OBC?  It has been my experience that when this happens you are offered approximately 25% of the difference in the form of OBC or an upgrade if the price increase is high enough to match the price of a higher category.  BTW, I wouldn't just automatically assume it's better to book directly with NCL, perhaps you need to find a TA who is more proactive in protecting your interests.