Warnemunde ground transportation?

Need advice, please, on ground transportation from the port at Warnemunde in early July 2019. Our aim is to travel to Lubeck that day. It looks like a rental car will set us back minimum $200. So I want to also consider the train. I see Hertz and Europcar are at the port. It also looks like Enterprise used to be there, but no more.

Does anyone have experience with either car rental or train at that port? BTW, we have the added blessing of traveling with a fold-up wheelchair...no long walks. So getting it right is especially important.

We stopped in Warmunde last July on Celebrity Eclipse. The train station  is adjacent to the port and is easy to catch a train to Rostock. You can change trains there but I can't tell you the schedule or trains to Lubeck.

That is good to know...that the train is so close to port, dabear! I am now thinking more about taking the train, because by the time I add to rental car cost the possibly-needed insurance, plus expensive petrol, plus parking in Lubeck. Geez, it gets really pricey, especially compared to the train. I'll have to look at train schedules from Rostock to Lubeck and back. 

Edited by BillderBo
minor word fix

You mention “no long walks”, so just a heads up—the main train station in Luebeck is about a 10 minute walk from the city gate.  (I don’t know if you consider that to be “long”). And you’ll likely be doing a lot of walking once you get to town.  But Luebeck was one of our favorite places when we did a Baltic cruise. 

I’ve pushed that wheelchair and my beautiful passenger through many a city. The key will be finding enough smooth surface. It is unfortunate (in this case) that Germany bans Google Street View. Street View has been a great tool for us planning wheelchair routes. 

Edited by BillderBo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BillderBo said:

It is unfortunate (in this case) that Germany bans Google Street View. Street View has been a great tool for us planning wheelchair routes. 

Actually, Google's Street View is available for some of the major German cities (Berlin, Munich, for example). Unfortunately, it is not yet available for Lubeck. Street View is no longer banned - it's just taking Germany & Austria time to get "up to speed".

37 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Actually, Google's Street View is available for some of the major German cities (Berlin, Munich, for example). Unfortunately, it is not yet available for Lubeck. Street View is no longer banned - it's just taking Germany & Austria time to get "up to speed".

Or more to the point, getting Google cameras out to take the pictures.

Good to know (that Germany and Austria are getting with Google Street View). It really helps the traveler who needs an advance look. Now that I've decided to take the train to Lubeck, my only problem is deciding how large a container I can drag back to the ship stuffed full of marzipan. I am only half-kidding (and my wife is not at all kidding 😄).

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Now returning from the trip...

The train station was, indeed, very close to the ship. One caution for anyone with mobility issues: You must navigate two flights of steps to get from port to the train. Possible for us but not easy. 

The ride was clean, smooth and scenic (gently rolling farm land). Lubeck is a treasure. Challenging with a wheelchair, but not impossible. Don’t bother with first class. It is a joke of an upgrade on this route. Second class is great. 

Edited by BillderBo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...