Ridiculously bad meal at Cagneys on Escape

allyfrizzle

Man, Cagneys used to be where it's at. But during my visit on Friday while aboard the Escape, we got lackluster service and downright horrible food.

The server was absent. Didn't treat us like we were special (maybe because everyone has the dining package, but I've had better service when I paid out of pocket without the dining package). Our steaks were both overcooked and tough, not juicy at all. The mac and cheese they served me was laughable. It was cold, runny, overcooked and tasteless. The server never came back to the table once our food was dropped off, so I couldn't discuss it with him.

I let the maitre d know about the mac and overcooked steak. He offered to re-make both, but we'd been in the dining room so long that we just wanted to leave at that point.

I attached a photo of the mac and cheese. It was basically mushy Kraft mac noodles in a milk sauce. So cold. So runny. Overcooked. What an embarrassment. A true steakhouse wouldn't dare serve this to a customer.

This is not a restaurant I'll pay for or waste a dining credit on in the future.

20190413_005830.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, abbyar said:

😮 Can't believe it - so sad. Did anyone follow up with you after? It's really appalling. My kids love Cagney's so that has me a bit terrified for our cruise.

The only consolation I got was the maitre d offering to remake the food. But you can imagine after sitting in the dining room for an hour that we were ready to just go. But no one from customer care followed up.

• Like 2

That's so awful. I'm sooo soo sorry you had that experience. We've had slow service at Cagney's sometimes, but never inedible. I'd be ready for bed or the buffet after waiting that long too. I hope your other meals were more positive events.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abbyar said:

That's so awful. I'm sooo soo sorry you had that experience. We've had slow service at Cagney's sometimes, but never inedible. I'd be ready for bed or the buffet after waiting that long too. I hope your other meals were more positive events.

Le Bistro was excellent and so was Teppanyaki. The main dining rooms had great meals and service every time. And I found myself at the buffet more than I'd like to admit. This doesn't mar my entire vacation, but I definitely excepted more from Cagney's.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

Man, Cagneys used to be where it's at. But during my visit on Friday while aboard the Escape, we got lackluster service and downright horrible food.

The server was absent. Didn't treat us like we were special (maybe because everyone has the dining package, but I've had better service when I paid out of pocket without the dining package). Our steaks were both overcooked and tough, not juicy at all. The mac and cheese they served me was laughable. It was cold, runny, overcooked and tasteless. The server never came back to the table once our food was dropped off, so I couldn't discuss it with him.

I let the maitre d know about the mac and overcooked steak. He offered to re-make both, but we'd been in the dining room so long that we just wanted to leave at that point.

I attached a photo of the mac and cheese. It was basically mushy Kraft mac noodles in a milk sauce. So cold. So runny. Overcooked. What an embarrassment. A true steakhouse wouldn't dare serve this to a customer.

This is not a restaurant I'll pay for or waste a dining credit on in the future.

20190413_005830.jpg

not surprised. We went for the first time 2 years ago, and we were not impressed. This is what i mean with NCL, they keep raising their prices but the quality for some of their restaurants has decreased immensely...We decided never to go back to Cagneys..We get better steaks at the MDR.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

20190413_005830.jpg

The server wouldn't have had time to remove his hand from the plate before I politely asked to have it taken away.

Although there was no photo of the meat, the same would hold true of the protein by its appearance alone.

While it should never have been served to you to begin with... remaining silent until you were on your way out wasn't the best way to allow them to rectify their shortcoming (even with a "disappearing server").

Thanks for sharing your disappointment to alert others to what they could expect.

• Like 1

Wow - this is so disappointing! That mac and cheese looks absolutely disgusting. 

Our experience there in December was so outstanding that we booked a second night for later in the cruise that was just as excellent. 

So sorry that you didn't get a fantastic experience - which everyone should every time they go to a specialty. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

The server wouldn't have had time to remove his hand from the plate before I politely asked to have it taken away.

Although there was no photo of the meat, the same would hold true of the protein by its appearance alone.

While it should never have been served to you to begin with... remaining silent until you were on your way out wasn't the best way to allow them to rectify their shortcoming (even with a "disappearing server").

Thanks for sharing your disappointment to alert others to what they could expect.

The steak was way too dark on the outside to be medium rare, but it appeared "juicy" in my photo  because they doused it in butter before being served to me. Cutting into it felt like I was sawing. It was cooked to medium, maaaybe medium well. I'd be okay with overcooked if it was tender/juicy, but it wasn't. It was dry and chewy.

And again, our server never came back to our table (or our area) after the food was dropped off. I mentioned it to the maitre d about five minutes after we received our food but again, by that point, we were just "done".

20190413_005441.jpg

OMG, that looks like one bite of steak 😲

The reviews of Cagney's have been declining over the years.  With everyone having the meal package, its become a mad rush MDR.  I remember the days when paying a cover charge in a specialty restaurant was worth the service and atmosphere alone. Now shrimp is not even included and is an upcharge item.  I said it before that if 3 shrimp are an upcharge, it shows what lack luster ingredients they must use because shrimp are not that expensive.
Cagney's used to be the flagship restaurant on NCL ships.  All the good appetizers were removed or now an upcharge. I had the soup back in 2015 and while ok, it tasted like soup you would get from a can or at Denny's.  It was not what I expected from Cagney's.  Sadly, I don't think we are all getting that bang for the buck anymore with everyone having the UDP.

No excuse for a server not checking on you, even in the MDR.  You wonder where all your gratuities are going.  You could score better macaroni and cheese at the buffet at closing hour.  What a disgrace.  The restaurant manager on this ship should hang their head in shame for serving this.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

OMG, that looks like one bite of steak 😲

The reviews of Cagney's have been declining over the years.  With everyone having the meal package, its become a mad rush MDR.  I remember the days when paying a cover charge in a specialty restaurant was worth the service and atmosphere alone. Now shrimp is not even included and is an upcharge item.  I said it before that if 3 shrimp are an upcharge, it shows what lack luster ingredients they must use because shrimp are not that expensive.
Cagney's used to be the flagship restaurant on NCL ships.  All the good appetizers were removed or now an upcharge. I had the soup back in 2015 and while ok, it tasted like soup you would get from a can or at Denny's.  It was not what I expected from Cagney's.  Sadly, I don't think we are all getting that bang for the buck anymore with everyone having the UDP

completely agree. Is happening with all the paid restaurants. in fact i went to la Cucina a few years ago and their menu was packed with options, the calamari was exactly how is supposed to be including the tentacles now they look like the ones you get at the MDR. The menu is small. The Chinese restaurant was delicious, the ribs  ( appetizer) the options and once it went to complimentary dining the menu decreased as well. We don't take the UDP and our restaurants are Moderno and Le Bistro. Le Bistro is still good but who knows for how long.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 2

Sorry you had such a bad experience.  I hope it was just an off day.  We ate at Cagney's three times, two weeks ago on Escape, and every time it was wonderful.  I do agree the fries are not as good as they used to be and the sides are smaller.  But, the steaks were perfectly cooked and seasoned, and the sides we had were good too.  

• Thanks 1

On our last cruise (the Bliss) we ate in 5 specialties and Cagneys was by far the worst. I got a dry, slightly overcooked, TINY fillet. not bad enough to send back but I've had better steaks at sizzler.  I too remember the Cagneys of 10 years ago and it's sad how much it's gone downhill.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, slugg said:

Mac and cheese, steak with ketchup. The meal was doomed the second it was ordered. 

It wasn't ketchup, it was "house made steak sauce" which was... Ketchup mixed with (likely) HP sauce 😂 it wasn't good at all. 

17 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Thank you for sharing ...... price and reviews like this are why we didn't go to any specialty dining restaurants on our 15 day cruise that ended sunday. Again, thanks for an honest review. 

You're welcome. My last Cagney's experience provided good service, mostly good food and an overcooked but still tender steak. 

This experience cemented we won't go there again. 

We wnt to Cagneys on Dawn ...a piece of meat onanemty plate ...ridiculous ..at thr mdr at least they put in afew veggies .When we brought it to the attention of the maitre d she took it gack and added 2 ...count them 2 asparagus spears 

My sons soup was one ladle in a little indentation in a. Huge. Plate ....ridiculous

besides Cagneys i founf  the lunch buffet super meagre ...few selections not very appetising 

comr  on NCL you can do better go check HAL ..go che k their lunch buffet ..yours is disgraceful 

time to stop being frugal and cost cutting ....this is a cruise ....good food is expected .....not this cheapy cheapy fare not acceptable re your cruise fare ...

ever since del rio came its been down hill ...not good 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

20190413_005830.jpg

Its simply a matter of perspective. Don’t think of it as cold, runny mac and cheese, think of it as an elevated ironic hipster Chilled Soft Mac ‘n Cheese Soup. It’s not a side, it’s a statement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We were on the Escape a couple of weeks ago and had an equally poor, poor experience. Service was awful. Rather than serving appetizers one a a time, the waiter just piled up 4 appetizers on the table to the point where there was no room to set down our water glasses. When we were finally served our entrees, the side dishes didn't come out until we were over half done eating our steaks. When we finished dinner, it took a long while for the waiter to come back and ask if we were done and if he could clear the plates. After our "Yes" response (looking down at the empty plates), the waiter turned his back to us and took another order. It was another 10 minutes before he cleared the dishes, and 10 more minutes before the "side kick" waiter came to take dessert orders. 

Never being shy, we took up the matter with the Assistant Hotel Director. The next night, we were eating at Ocean Blue and the restaurant manager from Cagney's came up to our table and apologized for the prior night. The apology was hallow and he was just there because the Assistant Hotel Director told him to do it.

Obviously, from this post, service there continues to be substandard. 

I haven't been aboard the Escape, and  it sounds like I might prefer not to be. My recent experience with Cagney's on the Epic (twice) and the Gem was good. I have also had roast beef in the MDR that was as good as anything in Cagney's, once, and not as good, more than once.

It seems to be typical of Cagney's to serve all sides in separate little dishes - I like to have them on the plate and always transfer them to it - but they ought to be served with the main course. I've never had macaroni and cheese in Cagney's and probably never will (I'm lactose-intolerant), but when I've seen it on other tables, it hasn't looked anything like the photo in this thread.

1 hour ago, allyfrizzle said:

You're welcome. My last Cagney's experience provided good service, mostly good food and an overcooked but still tender steak. 

This experience cemented we won't go there again. 

The first time we tried Cagney's was on the Getaway and it was amazing, every aspect from staff to food. Cagney's on the Epic (on Christmas Eve) was a horrible experience - an hour and a half for an appetizer and basket of bread. They never put in our order and never came back to see what was going on. I thought I was overly patient but eventually went to the hostess who had the maître' d come over and credit our specialty dining and reserved us for Teppanyaki the next night. 

We'll be on Joy in June and one our perks from the TA was 4 specialty restaurants, so Cagney's is on the list again. Hoping for a better experience this time!