Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay with 1 Year Old

MMGo785

We'll be bringing our 16 month old on the Anthem for her first cruise in a few weeks. The ship will be in Bermuda for two days, so we're thinking of taking a ferry and bus to the Aquarium/Zoo one day, and going to the baby beach at Horseshoe Bay the other day. It seems like options for Horseshoe Bay transport are taxi, # 7 bus or beach minibus shuttle.

Has anyone taken the minibus shuttle with a child or infant? I've been trying to find pictures of the shuttles, with the thought that if they're just smaller versions of a public bus, a toddler/infant would be OK being carried. I don't think I would feel comfortable without a car seat if the shuttle was the size of a minivan, however. I asked over on the Family board, and the shuttles might be 15-seaters? 

We have a Cosco Scenera car seat that we could bring along, but we were hoping to avoid it (I found a car service with infant seats that we can use to/from the ship for departure and our return home). We also bought a car seat lock clip, just in case we do bring the car seat.

The other option (which I'm leaning toward) is the #7 bus, but I heard that we would have to get up/down a hill to get to the beach, which wouldn't be ideal with a baby and all of our gear. There will be 3 adults, as my mom is joining us, so maybe we could do it? Has anyone taken the #7 bus to Horseshoe with an infant or toddler? Any tips for transport?

There is no standard minibus shuttle vehicle. It is whatever vehicle the owner buys. They are private vehicles. All of the ones I have been in are large minivans. They are not smaller versions of a public bus. I have seen a few of those there that are like small buses but that is not the the norm. Most of those are used for tours but I have seen them sometimes being used for the shuttles.

If you bring a car seat I would probably take taxis as they all have seat belts.

The shuttle vehicles $7pp go directly to the beach and take about half an hour. The #7 bus is cheaper but it makes a lot of stops along the way so it takes longer (40-45 min?).

Once you arrive at the top of the hill there is usually a van called the 'to the top shuttle' or something like that. It's $2pp for the van to take you to the bottom or to the top of the hill. We usually walk down but it's money well spent going back up.

Since you will be using public transportation both days you could get a two day ticket at the visitor center and use the buses and ferries as you like. Allow more time than you think if you end up doing that. Sometimes buses are full when they get to your stop and you have to wait for the next one.

Edited by marci22

17 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Once you arrive at the top of the hill there is usually a van called the 'to the top shuttle' or something like that. It's $2pp for the van to take you to the bottom or to the top of the hill. We usually walk down but it's money well spent going back up.

The "to the top shuttle" has not been reported to be seen operating the last few years.  He seems to have stopped after the $7 shuttle service began. Unless someone reports him operating this year I would assume  a " to the top shuttle" will not be operating. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The "to the top shuttle" has not been reported to be seen operating the last few years.  He seems to have stopped after the $7 shuttle service began. Unless someone reports him operating this year I would assume  a " to the top shuttle" will not be operating. 

Oh thanks, good to know.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no standard minibus shuttle vehicle. It is whatever vehicle the owner buys. They are private vehicles. All of the ones I have been in are large minivans. They are not smaller versions of a public bus. I have seen a few of those there that are like small buses but that is not the the norm. Most of those are used for tours but I have seen them sometimes being used for the shuttles.

If you bring a car seat I would probably take taxis as they all have seat belts.

I see...Thanks so much for the explanation! The variation in size is probably why I haven't been able to find a standard picture. I've been seeing everything from full size city buses to minivans in internet searches.

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

The shuttle vehicles $7pp go directly to the beach and take about half an hour. The #7 bus is cheaper but it makes a lot of stops along the way so it takes longer (40-45 min?).

Since you will be using public transportation both days you could get a two day ticket at the visitor center and use the buses and ferries as you like. Allow more time than you think if you end up doing that. Sometimes buses are full when they get to your stop and you have to wait for the next one.

As Charles mentioned, I've been seeing recent posts saying that the $2pp van is no longer there. We may end up doing the public bus, so thanks for those tips, especially the one about building in more time. We're from NYC, so used to public transport issues, but not used to the public transport issues of smaller towns. The buses are 30 minutes apart, right? Hmm. I'm thinking we'll have to get off the ship as early as possible, stay at the beach for a couple of hours, then head back before afternoon nap time.

1 hour ago, ProfCruise said:

We took our son (3 at the time) on the mini-bus.  The one we got was more like a large van.  Probably not the safest thing in the world without a car seat, but we did it anyway and would do it again considering the other options available.  He's a review of our trip to Bermuda, traveling with our son, if you're interested. 

https://profcruise.com/the-3-best-beaches-in-bermuda-for-cruisers/

Happy to try to answer any kid related questions you have.  Have fun!!!

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who's traveled to Horseshoe with a small kiddo. The shuttles really are the most convenient option for most people. It would be a no-brainer without a toddler so young. I'm leaning toward the public bus more and more - just concerned about that hill.

Checked out the first few paragraphs in your blog link - love it already! Haha!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MMGo785 said:

Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who's traveled to Horseshoe with a small kiddo. The shuttles really are the most convenient option for most people. It would be a no-brainer without a toddler so young. I'm leaning toward the public bus more and more - just concerned about that hill.

If you have no mobility issues the only concern I think would be the toddler. You would want to have a stroller. Probably you are already taking one on your cruise. You can take a fold up stroller on the public bus. More of a concern would be the state of the public bus system which has had to reduce their schedule because of a major bus shortage. Before that happened and before the $7 shuttles became available I took the public bus many times. I usually walked up that hill without any issue as I don't have mobility problems and I am in reasonable shape. 

1 hour ago, BeachGirl916 said:

does anyone know if they charge for children on the mini bus shuttle to horseshoe bay?

We were not charged for our son, but he sat on a lap.  Hopefully others with older kids can chime in. 

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you have no mobility issues the only concern I think would be the toddler. You would want to have a stroller. Probably you are already taking one on your cruise. You can take a fold up stroller on the public bus. More of a concern would be the state of the public bus system which has had to reduce their schedule because of a major bus shortage. Before that happened and before the $7 shuttles became available I took the public bus many times. I usually walked up that hill without any issue as I don't have mobility problems and I am in reasonable shape. 

No mobility issues for the adults, so maybe we can do it. About how long does it take to go up and down the hill, walking?

Yes, we'll have a small umbrella stroller with us. Are the buses about 30 minutes apart? We'll be docked on a Monday (9AM Bermuda arrival) and Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, MMGo785 said:

No mobility issues for the adults, so maybe we can do it. About how long does it take to go up and down the hill, walking?

Yes, we'll have a small umbrella stroller with us. Are the buses about 30 minutes apart? We'll be docked on a Monday (9AM Bermuda arrival) and Tuesday. 

Not sure why you are leaning towards the public bus. If only going to Horseshoe and back, I would take the shuttle. The hill is very steep. Takes less than 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQbqh2F0cZU

Edited by marci22

1 hour ago, MMGo785 said:

I seem to recall it taking about ten minutes to walk up. On the new schedule for the #7 it shows the buses running 30 minutes apart. It is possible that a bus could be full and you would have wait another 30 minutes. Also it is possible you would have to stand but likely someone would give up a seat for you with a toddler. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is possible that a bus could be full and you would have wait another 30 minutes. Also it is very possible you would have to stand. 

People are usually pretty nice about letting older people/young children have their seat but if you miss the bus it can be very discouraging having to wait for the next one....

Waiting increases as the day progresses/more people leave or in the event of a sudden rainstorm which can come up out of nowhere.

I haven't been to Horseshoe since (before) that new walkway was installed.

Edited by marci22

Likely someone would give up their seat for someone with young children. As far as giving up a seat for older people none ever gave up a seat for me......😀

I have not walked up or down the hill since since they eliminated the express public buses. The $7 shuttles make much more sense for me than dealing with the public buses.. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1